PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Found Injection Pump loose!!!

GMC Hauler
03-26-2004, 15:23
I recently found my diesel leaking fuel. An inspection revealed that the cap for the fuel filter was not tight. I tightened it, cleaned it, and it has been run for several days. I have found no more fuel. During the inspection, i found that the three nuts on the injection pump flange are missing!!! the pump is not sitting flush to the mating surface, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch between the two. So i got out the procedures, and i see an intake manifold removal (upper and lower), and remove the oil filler neck to unbolt the injection pump gear, replace the injection pump gasket (that looks trashed), and reseat it. Do i need to get the unit timed at the dealer after i bolt it up? I would like to remove the water pump, but i just dont have the time as i MUST fix it on saturday, or it risks not getting fixed for several months. I believe this explains why my oil is very black after 2500 miles. Can anyone provide any quick giudance, anything i might miss or anything i might need to do down the road. Thanks!! (p.s. it still runs at the moment)

john8662
03-26-2004, 16:09
Looking down at the top of the injection pimp flange, there could be a timing mark (a line scribed in the metal). The scribe will tell you where to set it for timing, because there will be half of the mark on the injection pump flange and half on the timing cover. You simply line the two lines up to set the timing. If there isn't a mark, then get the new nuts from the dealer (I think they are 10 point or more). Funky little nut, install the nuts, and try and place the pump as close to where it could have been. If the engine starts and runs, baby it to a dealer and have them set the timing, as it WILL take a computer to set it at this point. You probably won't have to remove the intake to replace the nuts, but to repace the gasket on the injection pump you will.

GMC Hauler
03-27-2004, 17:58
We'll, i fixed it today. I ended up taking off the intake manifold, so i could replace the gasket on the injection pump. I also replaced the oil pressure switch while i was working per the replacement article in the 1999 feature articles and product reviews. Got it all back together, and it runs better than it did before. It used to have a slight stumble off idle, but that is gone. There was no timing mark, so i will take it to the dealer and get it timed. I did find the three nuts for mounting the injection pump. They were in the valley, with a few other nuts and bolts, burried in a bunch of oil and dirt. So i have to assume it was mounted at one time, but probably not recently. Thanks for the advice.