PDA

View Full Version : AC 60G

spitfirenut
09-27-2003, 17:53
I just want to make sure before I go get them. The AC 60g glow plugs will fit in an '83 C code 6.2 right?
Thanks in advance. Don

Deib
09-27-2003, 19:17
Those are the ones you need, but you need a manual overide or a timer to get it to start as well as the old ones did.

spitfirenut
09-28-2003, 04:07
Cool, Does the later controller (85-93?) run them longer or would I still need the override? My glow controller gave up this week and now my old glows don't seem to work any more. I have a manual override already but have seen reference to the updated controller being better. Thanks for the help.

painthorsman
09-28-2003, 06:58
I just put a late model (85-93) controller in mine and a set of 60G's as well and it starts instantly. I went with 60's because if something goes wrong (like controller sticking) the 60's, which are a 10 volt rated plug, can burn for hours without swelling and burning out. The 11G's and more so, the old 9 G's (6volt plugs) that came in your truck, if they stay on more than just a few seconds will burn out. My 11's swelled so bad that I had to bust them off through the injector hole to get them out ( GM recommends taking the cyl head off... no way!) " See my thread on here on Glow Controller Problem"
The 60's should heat up just fine unless you have really cold winter days. The late model controller heats them for about 5 to 8 sec. intitially them once you start it there are 2 or more afterglow cycles lasting 1 to 3 seconds to help warm up and lessen start up smoke.
The late model controller is very easy to hook up and you don't have to drain the antifreeze to change it like the old style.
There is a section in the members area on troubleshooting that shows the controller and wiring diagram etc... its very good and easy to understand.

britannic
09-28-2003, 07:21
YMMV, but I run 60Gs with the military style glow plug controller (which may be like the older design - I'm not sure). I have had no problems in seriously cold mountain weather at high altitude. My habit in super cold weather, is to switch on, wait for the "Wait light" to go out and the turn off and repeat one more time and then crank to start.

Kaitsu
09-28-2003, 20:35
Hi there!

Why don't you modify your 85-93 controller as described in "2000 Feature Articles and Product Reviews"...?
It works perfectly with 60G's. I installed also a small switch to choose "normal" glow time length or longer for cold mornings.
Very easy to modify and gives ~4-6 sec. more.

spitfirenut
09-29-2003, 14:32
Thanks guys. The current glow controller went belly up so it's not a factor. I'm gonna run the new plugs on the hillbilly controller for a couple weeks then upgrade to the newer controller. Picked up the 60Gs today. I'm kind of dreading what I'll find with the old plugs but I'll start finding out tomorrow afternoon. At least I've got another vehicle so I don't have to do it with a hot engine. Thanks again for all of the input.

spitfirenut
09-30-2003, 15:17
Yahooooooo! Changed the glow plugs this afternoon. All AC 9Gs and didn't have to break one. Not bad considering all but 2 were the original plugs. Thanks again for all of the info.

dieselmab
09-30-2003, 18:43
Kaitsu,
Is it me or do you have to shell out $20 to buy to printed version because there is no online version? :confused:
I guess it would pay to print all the articles off, huh? :cool:

Low_Bridge
05-10-2005, 12:23
Does the part # on the glow pug need to read 60G or do they stamp a different one on there?

spitfirenut
05-17-2005, 15:51
it's a different set of numbers. I just pulled mine tonight in preparation for pulling the engine, but didn't write them down. I'll post them tomorrow when I get back out to the shop