PDA

View Full Version : Fuel additive

Cornell
03-08-2004, 06:41
I am expecting my new truck in about 2-3 weeks :eek: , my question is: what is the general feeling about running a fuel additve such as Stanadyne Performace Formula. I know that is recomended for use in the old 6.5 But I am confused if it is needed in the Duramax and if so will there be any warranty issues. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Amianthus
03-08-2004, 07:20
I highly recommend the use of a quality additive with every fill. The crap fuel that you can run into warrants the use of an additive. If for no other reason than to minimize the chance of damage to your fuel system from this crap fuel.

I personally use Stanadyne and have had good luck with it. I have also used Power Service and not had anything bad happen. The Total Power that JK sells has had some rave reviews and people seem to like it. I personally, have never used the stuff. So I don't know first-hand.

Amsoil also sells a diesel additive, but I've never used it either (and I'm an Amsoil dealer). Not to say that it's bad. I just don't have any experience with it.

Do a search and check out what others are using.

Any way you slice it, I would tell you to use one.

J54 Mark
03-08-2004, 15:49
The owner's manual either suggests no additive is necessary, or states outright not to use any. I wondered when I saw that if it was to provide a possible "out" for warrenty claims.

I used Power Service in my 6.5 and got easily 1 mpg better milage, so it paid for itself.

Mark

Dinkie Diesel
03-08-2004, 16:31
I think the MFG. just wants to be sure you don't use anything with alcohol in it. Check the label or MSDS sheet to see if the product your using has any alcohol.

jbplock
03-08-2004, 16:58
See GM April 03 Techlink (http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/issues/apr03/TLApr03e.html#story1) for GM's recommendation. smile.gif

Cornell
03-09-2004, 05:10
Thankyou all for info, The GM Tech Link gave me the information I was looking for.