PDA

View Full Version : Bad fuel

jeffbentleyreich
08-27-2002, 09:16
I went out at noon yesterday to fill up w/ diesel and grab lunch... The truck began hesitating at acceleration as soon as I left the station. When I turned off the engine, it wouldn't start again. The "water in fuel" light did not come on but I drained the filter and then primed the filter but nothing. GM's roadside service towed me in after a 4 hour wait... I just put a new filter in 3-4 weeks ago. Can they get plugged up that fast with bad fuel??

Joe Pool
08-27-2002, 11:03
Jeff,

I purchased fuel earlier this year outside of Phoenix, AZ and by the time I was halfway to Las Vegas, NV my trucks filter was so fouled that my top speed on the flats was about 20 mph. I changed the filter and then all was operating like it should. So in a word, YES, it can happen that fast.

This is why I always carry spare filters with me.

Later, Joe

SoMnDMAX
08-27-2002, 11:34
Are you sure you filled it with diesel fuel?

Sounds like you got a tank of unleaded...

jeffbentleyreich
08-27-2002, 12:36
SoMnDMAX - you've got it! The dealer is quoting me $650. but said they didn't think the injectors were damaged. Anyone heard of getting gas out of a diesel pump? My receipt shows diesel...

DmaxMaverick
08-27-2002, 13:21
Jeff R.

Save the MONEY!!

Just drain the tank and refill it, using a good additive with lube qualities and cetane booster. Change the filter and pump the bleed until you get #2 to clear the lines. Disconnect all the glow plug connectors until after the engine clears up. Don't worry about getting all the gas out. Even a mix with 25% gas will be OK if you use a good additive. Less than 10% is not even worth messing with. You probably made a mistake going to the dealer. Your faux pas got it on record and if your pump fails under warranty, no matter the cause, you'll likely pay for it.

The gas won't hurt the engine, it just won't run with it. By the time it does start, there will be enough #2 in the pump to lube it. The hard part is getting the gas out of the tank, which is the majority of the dealer's charge. $650 is a rediculous quote. $200, at dealer's rates, is more real.

Don't sweat it. You didn't hurt anything.

SoCalDMAX
08-27-2002, 13:30
If indeed you pumped from a diesel nozzle and gas came out of it, I'd get a sample directly from the nozzle and some from your fuel tank.

It seems to me the operator of the gas station has a responsibility to their customers to put the correct fuel in the correct tanks... If they can't, then they should take responsility for the damage/repair costs.

Regards, Steve

jeffbentleyreich
08-27-2002, 14:14
"Don't sweat it. You didn't hurt anything"

I appreciate the remarks because I've been sweating it big time!

...and, as much as I hate to admit it, I just found out it was my error. I was filling up at a different station and I inadvertently grabbed a green handle pump - I don't think I have ever seen a non-diesel "green handle" pump - but that doesn't matter, it still said unleaded...

Jelisfc
08-27-2002, 14:48
If the tanker driver isn't paying attention it can easily happen...oh wait it was me who wasn't paying attention and mixed 1200 gals of no-lead in a tank of diesel!!!!! That only cost the boss $3000 in fuel. You can't seperate diesel and ethanol blend gas. But hey that was in a previous life anyway. At least I didn't just drive away and pretend it didn't happen.

SoMnDMAX
08-27-2002, 23:23
Jeff R, all of the BP/Amoco stations I've seen have the 87 octane unleaded coming from a green nozzle... Bad news...

I'm with Dmax Maverick- empty the tank yourself, and save paying the dealer the $$$. Chances are nothing got hurt. Follow DM's directions, and you'll be fine.

Derek M
10-10-2002, 17:26
Buddy of mine was on the way over to our house. He filled up at the Texaco about 1/4mile away from my house. As he entered my neighborhood he said the truck sputtered.... As he turned on my street it started hacking and coughing badly. He told me what it was doing. I removed the fuel cap, and it sure smells like gasoline. Removed the fuel cap on my truck and it smells like diesel.

Anyone need some gas in the Frisco area free of charge? :D

We just pulled it around back and using a fuel line quick disconnect tool, separated the fuel line that runs from the tank into the fuel cooler. Man this is a slow process, it's draining but at a snails pace. Is there a faster way?

How would you guys proceed next? What's the reasoning for unplugging the glow plugs? I think in the past GM has discouraged the use of fuel additives, does this change the situation? or the reasoning?

Would you change the fuel filter right before firing the truck up again with proper diesel or wait till you ran 10-15 gallons through the system?

Thanks for any help.

SoCalDMAX
10-10-2002, 17:46
Derek,

The reason it's slow is because that is the fuel return line. I'd suggest disconnecting the other line, which is the fuel pickup line and maybe adding a little air (5 or 10psi) to the return line to help push a little.

I've read so many posts about this, I triple check before sticking the nozzle in. I don't need any more problems!

Regards, Steve

mackin
10-10-2002, 17:51
Derek

OH MY !!!!!!

I would assume you have the fuel tank cap off for a vent?????

I would change the fuel filter prior to starting...Must be saturated with gas.......Then change again, why not.....Not sure on the glow plugs but if recommended I would....Hope there's no gas vapors I here they can be troubling ....... :eek:

MAC

Derek M
10-10-2002, 18:19
SoCalDMAX,

I double checked. There's a fuel line coming from the tank into the cooler, then another line from the cooler that leaves and goes toward the front, along the frame rail. We've got the line disconnected that comes from the tank. It's at about a 2 gallon an hour rate. Is there a pump in the tank that it's having to siphon through? He didn't bring his tooth brush and change of clothes either! hehehe

Don't have a air compressor here. doh!

Mackin, Only fuel filter I have left at this time is my spare, just changed mine a couple weeks ago. It's a one shot deal if he wants his truck to run tonight, guess he could just wait till tomorrow. Good idea on the filler cap, already done that. My estimate shows sometime around 7am tomorrow morning it'll be done.... lordy.....

Any other ideas, tips, tricks, know-hows?, what-would-you-dos? smile.gif Worse come to worse we'll pop out some lawn chairs, open a cool one or two and watch fuel drain.... ohhh just lovely. smile.gif

[ 10-10-2002: Message edited by: Derek M ]</p>

deerhunter7
10-10-2002, 18:20
Disconnect the glow plugs because the gas fumes
will ignite long before TDC . Will put a lot of strain on everything. :eek:

Brandenburg
10-10-2002, 18:25
Can you siphon it with a hose in the filler?

Flyboy
10-10-2002, 18:29
When you get good fuel in the tank, open the bleed screw and the drain valve on the filter. Pump the pump until you get diesel fuel. Close drain valve and continue pumping until you fill the filter. Close vent and continue pumping until it gets harder to pump. It should start right up. Ben there, done that! I did not disconnect glow plugs and didn't have any problem. I used a syphon hose stuck in the tank to remove contents.

82beast
10-10-2002, 19:10
Hello All
When ever I end up eith bad fuel or the idiot gas attendent puts a few gallons of gas(no more than 3 gallons of gas put in tank by mistake would I do this) :mad: ,if the station has it or one near by does I fill the rest of the tank up with kero and beat the s*%t out of the engine, Basicly making it run high rpms. I would strongly reconmend doing this at night though as a extremely large amount of smoke comes out, but you just cleaned any carbon buildup as well as getting rid of the gas/bad fuel. I would not, repeat NOT, do this if the gas made it to the motor ONLY if the gas was put in the tank alone. I would also change the filter. :cool:

[ 10-10-2002: Message edited by: 82beast ]</p>

Paintdude
10-10-2002, 19:24
You CAN siphon the fuel out of a Dmax..The filler neck will let you put a 1/2-5/8 hose down in it..Get a clear one.. :D

SoCalDMAX
10-10-2002, 19:33
Derek,

Seriously, the cooler is in the return line. You are pulling from the tank, but not from the fuel supply line. There is a slightly larger fuel line coming from the fuel tank, and this is your fuel pickup line.

The suggestions to siphon are a pretty good idea, but there will still be some gas left in the tank. After siphoning as much as possible, I'd fill it up with diesel and let 'em mix as others suggested, a couple of gallons of gas shouldn't hurt if well mixed in.

Good luck, Steve

CanadaKev
10-10-2002, 19:43
If you don't want to suck on it :rolleyes:
you can buy a self-priming siphon hose at most auto parts stores. It has a one-way check valve and works slick. Would have that tank drained in 20 min.
Kev

mackin
10-10-2002, 20:02
:D :D :eek: :D :D

Derek M
10-10-2002, 20:45
Thanks for all the help guys. It's draining a little faster than I first thought. Ruff estimate now is about 4 gallons and hour, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm doing this out of the kindness of my heart for a buddy, but I certainly ain't suckin on no hose!!! :D I smell like a gas tank currently, don't wanna taste like one too. Ack!!!

Texasoilman44
10-11-2002, 13:55
Too lazy you look back up, so not sure who suggested it, but you never ever ever ever never use compressed air to pressurize a vessel (your fuel tank). Nitrogen yes, air no. The reason is, the fuel/air mixture could reach the correct ratio to become explosive.

The likelihood of this happening is probably very slim, however it is the cardinal rule of sin in the petro-chem industry to introduce air into a pressurized vessel containing hydrocarbons.

Now, I have done the same thing myself with a tank on a 68 Nova that got sucked almost flat because the vent in the fuel cap got plugged, and I am still around so like I said it is probably not a likely thing to happen. Just wanted to mention it.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Derek M
10-11-2002, 15:20
Believe it or not we're still at it. Seems the fuel line I pulled apart off the fuel cooler was good only to drain a little over half the tank. Not really knowing any other fancy way to drain the tank, picked up a siphon pump at AutoZone. We couldn't get the damn thing to work, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I pulled it out and simply tried to see if I could get the pump to suck water out of a bucket. No dice. Returned it and picked up a $4 siphon from NAPA. It almost worked but didn't have enough goumph to pull the fuel all the way up and over the fill next. Disconnected the fill neck from the quarter panel, turned it down where it just peaks out below the bottom of the truck. Inserted the siphon tube and it's now draining again. We've drained 8 gallons in the last 2 hours do it should be that much longer. Boy he's never gonna live this down. smile.gif What are friends for if you can't get a good 24 hours worth of ribbin out of them every now and then.

Free gas anyone? :D

Flyboy
10-11-2002, 16:15
You don't have to suck on the hose. Just fill it with fuel, put your finger on one end and quickly put the other end in the tank. Lower the end with your finger on it well below the bottom of the tank and take your finger off. It should start flowing. You have to do it quick and use a smaller diameter hose, 1/2 inch or less. It works, I've done it many times. The trick is to get the hose in the fuel at the bottom of the tank quickly so it doesn't run out of the hose.

CanadaKev
10-11-2002, 17:31
Derek,
The self priming siphon hose I was talking about, has a copper, one-way check valve on the end that you put in the fuel tank. You just put it in the tank and tap the hose up and down for a few seconds until the fuel starts to flow.
Maybe they aren't available south o' the 49th yet.
Kev

imported_
10-14-2002, 18:41
You can get a nice electric fuel pump at Napa,
we keep one around the shop,and I've got one
mounted on my truck to transfer fuel from my
bed tank.