PDA

View Full Version : 2003 not warming up/smoking concerns/low oil pressure

polaris800
12-06-2002, 09:51
I have a new 2003 that just will not warm up very well. It dont want to go to much above the 160 degree mark. That is even with the center bra in place. It worsen when it's real cold but the problem happens even when the temps are in the 20's My 2001 never installed the bra's before on my 2001

Second, this truck smokes even in the day light. WHY? The oil pressure when it is fully warmed is around 20 why is this so low then the 01/02 models.

Maybe some body has some I deals.

It's going in the shop Wednesday :mad: :mad: :mad:

Runaway
12-06-2002, 11:12
How far are you driving -- takes a long time in cold weather to get these things up to operating temps. Last night coming back from Iron Mountain, temp in the mid teens, it took 20+ miles running 55 - 60 mph to get up above the 160 degree mark. I also have the center weather front on.

Low oil press. could be big problem (maybe gauge is defective) I run 60 psi and higher around 1800 - 2000 rpm.

Jelisfc
12-06-2002, 11:44
I noticed this morning my engine didn't want to warm up fully until I was able to run 60+ mph. In slower traffic, busy interstate 40 mph, the motor just isn't working hard enough to warm its self up. Even driving at 40 in 5th not 6th it wouldn't warm up. I too have the grill cover on. It was 15 degrees this morning. These trucks are made for working and at lower temps and empty it takes me 10 miles before I see good heat. It's garaged so I don't wait long after it's started to leave.

What is your oil pressure at 2000 rpm?

What do you mean by smoke? If mine sits outside not plugged in it smokes blue until it warms up. No smoke after it runs.

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Jelisfc ]</p>

MNBowTie
12-06-2002, 12:29
Polaris8000

My 02 need

MNBowTie
12-06-2002, 12:33
Polaris8000

PS. You should have a manual oil pressure gage check to verify your dash gauge. My money is on the dash gauge being incorrect.

car of the week
12-06-2002, 14:57
IF IT IS SMOKING DURING THE DAY WHILE WARM (WITHOUT ANY POWER ADDERS) IT COULD BE THE INJECTORS. WE HAVE HAD A COUPLE TRUCKS THAT WHEN THE INJECTORS WENT BAD THEY WOULD SMOKE ALL THE TIME. THAT IS ACTUALLY HOW OUR TECHS SEEM TO FIND IF THE INJECTORS ARE BAD. THEY DISCONNECT THE FUEL PRESSRURE REGULATOR THEN WITH THE TECH 2, THEY SHUT DOWN ONE INJECTOR AT A TIME UNTIL THE SMOKE GOES AWAY. THAT IS WHAT THE TOLD ME WHEN I HAD MY TRUCK IN FOR SERVICE. 3 OF MY INJECTORS ARE AT THE OUTER LIMITS OF "WITHIN FACTORY SPEC." JUST A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE MY TRUCK GOES UNDER THE WRENCH :confused:

RYAN