PDA

View Full Version : I was Bored Today So I ........

mackin
08-25-2002, 17:28
Decided with all the posting about the RUSTY stuff possible injector clogging fuel filter, cracked exhaust bracket to take the inner passenger well off again.......So I did......

With the upcoming long weekend and a trip that may consume over 1k + (short for a D-MAX) would put me into fuel filter change range anyway.....Since my buddy and me buy them together and we have plenty,cheap......(HINT HINT for you guys team up and buy by the case) I dove in .........Simple job, went without incident.....Manifold-pipe-support bracket, not broke...GOOD......Got the new filter on piece of cake......So I got out my SAWZALL,hey that's all I had at the moment to cut that baby open and see the guts.......Worked, but not for the faint of heart,finger(s) loss is very possible......Small bit of orange GOO in the bottom of filter not enough to cover half the face of a dime......What is that mistery GOO?????Not bad for short of 10k and buying fuel where it is cheapest,and I mean where ever.....Put some PICS up under MORE PICS in my SIG......No blood or loss of limbs for you gore freaks.......

MAC :D

[ 08-25-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

csimo
08-25-2002, 19:54
I'm betting that the orange goo is algae. I had about 1/8" of it in the bottom of my OEM tank when I swapped it out for a Transfer Flow.

Diesel algae is normally dark green to black, but can be a variety of colors.

I ran a couple of cans of algicide through my system and then changed the fuel filter again.

FirstDiesel
08-25-2002, 20:03
I'm starting to get a little concerned with all the talk lately about this orange goo and algae. I'm using the Rotella DFA in my fuel but there is no mention of it containing an algacide. Is it s good idea to run a small dose of algacide on a routine basis?? Or run a preventative strong dose occasionally?? If so what are the common brand algacides out there and where do you find them. I can't honestly say I've ever seen any on the shelf at the truck stops or the parts stores.

fasterthanyou
08-25-2002, 21:04
Hey Mackin,
I get the orange goo all the time in my off road rock crawling Jeep. I can't prove it, but I'm 99% sure it is water. I have floated down stream, on accident, a few times and water has filled the motor,tranny and both diff's. I change those and the next trip out the carb always farts out. Every time it is the same orange goo in the float bowls and in the tank. Never thought to change the gas! I only say that it is not alge because I have used new fuel tanks and had this happen with 2-3 weeks. I think alge takes a while to grow, unless your pumpin it in from your chepo fuel station. I think they have goo seperaters on the pump? good luck, hope we all find out what that stuff is!

Kennedy
08-26-2002, 10:46
Fasterthanyou,

Did you have Fox make shocks for your HD?

kanton1
08-26-2002, 11:21
fasterthanyou,

talk to me about your truspeed sensor!! :D :D I need to know the low down on the thing. specifically the install!

Thanks in advance

sonofagun
08-26-2002, 15:16
mackin,

I too think it is water that has somewhat emulsified with the diesel. The aglae I have seen in diesel tanks is always green or black.

Bob

mackin
08-26-2002, 17:20
son of a gun ,

I can tell ya before it all settled into the bottom it was like poka dots (round) floating or gliding around the bottom of can on the remaining diesel fuel......I'll just keep up my rigorous fuel filter changes for 17 bucks a pop cheap insurance IMO.......

MAC smile.gif

TBC
08-26-2002, 21:35
I have seen that orange goo in my Yamaha 150 outboard. I pumped some fuel out of the tank and it had some of the same stuff. The boat dealer said it was the chemicals in the new fuels. After it has been in the tank for a time it forms the goo. There is a fuel additive that prevents this from occurring. I believe it was the cause of a surging I was getting in the engine. This stuff was floating in the fuel so it is not water. Water will go to the bottom so it could be water in the filter. I was under the impression that diesel would not do what the gas did but with the chemicals added to the diesel it may very well be the same type of thing occurring. This will be an interesting one to pursue if someone has contacts with a fuel distributor or someone in a refinery.

Mic
08-27-2002, 09:13
Mackin,

you mentioned "cracked exhaust bracket"..

which one, is it easy to spot and do i need to remove the ps wheel well cover to see it?
:confused:

mackin
08-27-2002, 14:34
Mic,

The easiest way to see it is to remove the PS inner wheel.....It was mentioned before and brought up again recently so I checked it out,since a filter change was needed.......If you look at my MORE D/A PICS (fuel filter) you'll see the bracket that is being referred to as the one that cracks,or has cracked on some motors.....
=&gt;http://www.pbase.com/image/4159336

MAC smile.gif

[ 08-27-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

fasterthanyou
10-02-2002, 17:38
Hey Mackin,
Did you ever figure out what the orange goo was?

I had a couple of requests for info on the last thread, I've had a really busy competition schedule and I apologize for my slow response. Kennedy, I did have custom shocks made by Fox for my truck. I had some specific valving/ piston porting I was looking for to stop what I call the Wallow. The longer the truck, the worse I find it! The truck never stops slowly bouncing up and down because of the long weight transfer from the front trailer tire to the rear truck tire. This makes the slow wallow. Anyway, If you are interested I made some really cool and simple bracket to mount the front shocks. The fox shox use 1/2 inch heim joints (the best system) and our trucks use the stem style. I made a bracked that has a 1/2" grade 8 carrige bolt tacked in place to go through the hole our shocks have a stem in. Then 2 ears spaced appropriatly to alow the heim its full 22 degrees of motion. I'd be happy to show you if you need more info. Also, I'd be happy to put you in contact with the people that understand valving better that me, although I try.

Kanton1: The speed sensor was a 3* install unless you like electrical soldering. I suck! Anyway, the truspeed made my acutal speed correct, but did not affect the VSS (vehical speed sensor) Kennedy pointed this out before I finished my install. Let me know what you are requesting and I'll get you the info.
See Ya

mackin
10-02-2002, 18:56
fasterthanyou,

No, I never bothered to find out ...I too am waiting for some LAB guy here to analyze.....Since I 4.3 Super Juiced my truck a lot of the "COLD" issues, like Knock, have disappeared ...I am not that concerned any more as I thought perhaps the noise I was hearing was injector issues,but it was 3.6sucky......My truck now, better then ever, runs like a "Scalded DOG".......

MAC

JEBar
10-03-2002, 03:55
Brothers and sisters .... all I can say is let all who have seen Mack punch his "Scalded DOG" say AMEN !! :eek: .... Keep her between the lines Mack .... Jim

dieselburb
10-03-2002, 15:50
Orange goo: most likely H20. I run a fuel dock and we see plenty of algae and other fun stuff turn up in some of our customers Racor filters. The other guys are correct about the algae being dark and mostly black in color, but when the water seperates from the fuel,either from condensation or emulsification in the refined fuel, I've seen it clear, brown, orange and green.
The fuel coming out of the dispenser though should be filtered down to a minimum of 10 microns and because it is also diesel, the filter HAS to be a water seperator, no exceptions. If you want, ask the station when they change their filters and what micron rating they are using. They should be changed whenever flow gets below 3 gallons per minute or when there is a suspect fuel refinery problem. Ours filter to 5 micron and are water blockers, but the downside to any of these is the emulsified water problem. If the fuel coming out has recently been dropped in the station tanks, there is more likelyhood that the dispensed fuel could contain emulsified water, thus causing the orange goo. The emulsified water may not have a chance to settle out before it's pumped.
The Racor filters on our trucks are there to stop that, but again, condensation in the truck tank could be a problem too.
I.e. just keep changing those filters.