PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Intake??

Mark A
08-23-2002, 08:07
Out of the three trucks and all having the K&N air intakes on them my truck (01') is the only one of them that sets codes. If put the stock air intake back on it has no problems. I've had the mass air replaced by the dealer and it still does it. Could there be a crack in the intake or one of the rubber connectors making it do this or is my truck just not wanting to cooperate. The 3 codes are:
1. 101-Mass Air Volume Problem
2. 98- ???
3. 1400-???
4. 3_00-???
I dont want to have to ditch this air intake cause of the throttle response and the cool sound of the turbo spooling. Anyone else having this problem?
Thanks Mark

2DAMAX
08-23-2002, 09:53
I have run my K-N air charge kit for aprox 8k miles with no problem at all .I run outerwear's pre filter and it collects a lot of very fine particles. Do not over oil filter element that's usually the only problems I have seen. :D :D

armalite
08-23-2002, 11:11
2DAMAX,
Have you encountered problems with water getting on your air filter?

Thanks

2DAMAX
08-23-2002, 15:05
Armalite:The nice thing about the outerwear's wrap is it is 100% water tite.So the answer is no water in filter!I love it,I just had my oil analyzed and only had a reading of 10 for silicon .So I guess my K-N with its outerwear's is doing a very good job!!!! :eek:

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: 2DAMAX ]</p>

pullinpower
08-23-2002, 16:34
I have gotten the code on my 01 with my old sensor but my buddy that had one on his 02 hasn't ever seen a ses.I recently had my airbox updated to the 02 version when my truck was in for the new pump and the dealership wanted my stock aircleaner in place for the lopey idle issue and for them to update it.I have yet to install it and see if it throws a code with this new sensor that they updated.

afp
08-23-2002, 17:49
I have a K&N Aircharger system with an Outerwears wrap as well. I put the Aitcharger on the day after I got the truck, and the Outerwears went on about three weeks later. I have not had any codes or any other problems. What I like about the Aircharger system is how it seals engine compartment air off from the filter.

2DAMAX,

What kind of conditions do you drive in?

Blaine

Mark A
08-23-2002, 19:11
I drive in about every kind of condition there could be. The thing is I dont understand why the codes are setting with the K&N FIPK but not with the stock Air Intake. The dealer put a new mass air in and it still does the same. Im lost!!

Kennedy
08-23-2002, 21:58
Mark A,

I believe we spoke on the phone???

Have you had the ECM updated lately? Do it and the problem will likely go away. Lots of updates for false trouble codes...

Man I must be missing out on a lot of power with my stock air box, and as Mackin so eloquently put it: "oily couch cushion" :rolleyes:

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

2DAMAX
08-24-2002, 09:41
AFP: In Colorado we have low humidity dry climate windy and dusty sometimes. :eek: :eek:

[ 08-27-2002: Message edited by: 2DAMAX ]</p>

Mark A
08-24-2002, 09:49
Kennedy: I talked to you on the phone and took it in to the dealer. I told them to do the updates to it and the guy called me and told me that the only update it called for would cause it to lose power so i said NO to that. Im gonna hook it up to the auto-tap tonight and get the #'s from the mass air and then im gonna start swapping parts from truck to truck.

afp
08-24-2002, 10:33
2DAMAX,

Excellent--then even in dusty conditions a K&N with the Outerwears wrap keeps enough dirt out of the motor to allow low silicone readings during oil analysis. It will be interesting when an few more of us with the Aircgargers get oil analysis done.

Blaine

matt-max
08-24-2002, 11:34
yes i get the 'false' codes set on my 'o1 with the fipk (also jk 4" exhaust and juice). dealer points to the k&n as the culprit. seems to be most likely to come on with extended idling. no performance or driveability problems...just quicker response and that cool turbo whistle.

Mark A
08-24-2002, 18:21
Mine sets the codes when idles for a while or its real hot outside. Anyways i put the air box off the 02' on my truck and am going to order an amsoil filter monday, as much as i hate to do it. I think that the mass air is placed in a spot that gives the mass air inconsistent readings, or atleast on my truck.

Kennedy:
What is the piece on the lid of the factory airbox for that lines up with the MAF? Does it direct the air straight in to the MAF for accurate readings? If so I guess this is part of what you told me about the MAF and the airbox working together.

Mark

TBC
08-24-2002, 20:04
I have the K&N filter and have never had any lights come on. I have done nothing to the air box. One thing I did find when I installed the filter was a foam gasket that goes between the air box and fender well was not installe properly and causing a slight restriction. Would the air filter indicator gage have anything to do with the problem? Just a question since I found mine out of the hole in the box once but still no lights indicating a problem or any performance problems. I have almost 16000 miles on mine and it runs better every day. It sure is hard to keep the foot off the throttle since it just wants to run like a thorough bred horse.

2DAMAX
08-27-2002, 06:23
T

[ 08-27-2002: Message edited by: 2DAMAX ]

[ 08-27-2002: Message edited by: 2DAMAX ]</p>