PDA

View Full Version : Headgasket ?

deerhunter7
08-22-2002, 13:07
Does anybody know if the 3 diffrent headgaskets
correspond to certain build dates . Like 1 was in the first engines manufactured. Then started a date with number 2 etc....

DMAX Worker 2
08-22-2002, 15:04
The three different grades of head gaskets have to do with the deck face height of the cylinder blocks (case). Due to microscopic differences in the height between blocks, Duramax has adopted the multiple gasket approach to ensure a better fit.

Joe.G
08-22-2002, 16:59
I think what they are trying to do is maintain piston to head clearance due to machining differences in the block deck.

D-max Man
08-24-2002, 14:41
Yes, there are 3 different gaskets and it is important that you use the correct one.

The pistons protrude up past the deck of the block and sense the fire deck on the head is flat, the gasket must take up the difference.

Be sure to measure piston protrusion and select the appropriate gasket for your needs. (If in doubt, always use the thicker one).

deerhunter7
08-25-2002, 08:54
Thanks guys. I thought That they changed the gasket because of an improvement. So all the Dmaxs
have the same gasket only diffrence being thickness . That scraps my thought on the few that
developed a leak.. :confused: