PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather power loss ?

Vantage #51
03-05-2003, 21:18
Last evening,final leg of a Florida to Nova Scotia trip,hauling the 48 ft Featherlite at 24,500 lbs all up,the big white rig would not take full throttle at any thing over 2200 rpm.The harder you pushed or tried to rev, the less power it produced
The outside temp was -11 C ,about 10 F, and we had just fueled up.If I eased off the throttle it would produce more power but not enough to go up the hills. The harder I tried the slower it went untill the biggest hill we were down to 25 Kms/hr,
usually taken at 80-85 kms.
Suspect the fuel was starting to freeze but am not sure.Do not know what that would feel like.
Any Ideas? No Check engine lite,no apparent lack of power down the other side, just a big bog at the upper rpm as the throttle was on the mat.
This is the second time it appeared,previously in Virgina on way down at about the same temperature.
Did not have any additives in fuel either time.

2002 D/A crew white 41,000km, the right tool for grey Velour the job

Vantage #51
03-05-2003, 22:51
OK Guys, any one got any wisdom?
It still cold out there,and i do not want to get
left on the roadside!

Derek

fredw
03-05-2003, 23:10
you might want to start with a fuel filter change, i have seen lots of problems due to power from a pluged filter, once that is eliminated, then the fuel could be another concern for your problem

a64pilot
03-06-2003, 08:36
Fuel gelling acts exactly like your description. You probably have some florida fuel left in your tank and the temp is below it's wax point.
Get some good fuel additive in the tank it will probably fix the truck. Consider running the additive year round for it's other virtues. You can get some for now at Walmart. You may want to consider ordering some from JK or another supplier after you get home so that you always have a good quality supply.

a64pilot
03-06-2003, 08:40
Sorry,
Just remembered this. Some of us with the old VW diesels would mix low grade gasoline up to about 20% of total I think to lower the wax point of the fuel. I WOULD NOT DO THIS WITH A HIGH PRESSURE, COMMON RAIL SYSTEM.
I am sure that you can also get an anti-gelling additive at any larger truck stop