PDA

View Full Version : Original Miles

turbovair
06-17-2005, 17:05
When someone claims that their vehicle has 100,000-500,000 original miles, does that mean that nothing(major) has been replaced up to that point? What exactly are they implying? My truck started falling apart around 80,000. Lots of things have been replaced. Just wondering.

Dvldog 8793
06-17-2005, 18:15
Howdy
It has always been my understanding that ORIGINAL miles was what was on the chasis without any major work done.
Kinda like:
"My GTO has 178,000 original miles with 20,000 on the ground up restoration"

I don't think I would consider owning anything with un-original miles! :D
L8r
Conley

CareyWeber
06-18-2005, 03:48
I don't know that is has an offical meaning.

I do see that and then have them say the engine has been rebuilt x # of miles ago.

I have just less than 195K miles on my truck and its all original except for: Injection Pump, Alternator (4x), headlight switches, radiator (it was a ID10T error), door hinge pins/bushing, headlights, oil cooler lines, OPS, Lift pump, block heater, all radiator hoses, themostats, fan clutch, drivers window switch, front glass, coolant sensor, belt, drivers upper ball joint, pitman arm (all the front end parts need replace soon), shocks, brakes, wipers, door handles inside all drivers 3rd time, outside door handles drivers and I have the replacement for the passenger front one too, various other lights too inside and out, coolant I'm on the second batch of Dexcool, battery cables, wategate solinoid, vacuum lines, exhaust, down pipe, and batteries.

I've put 4 sets of tires on it not counting the set that were on it when I bought it with 43K miles on it.

All I can say is that this truck has been very good to me. I hope that it goes another 100K before I have to swap the engine out. ;)

Edit: I forgot fan swaitch , heater resistor, glow plus and I've got the 4rd set waiting to go in. Before I got the truck it had a rear pinion seal replaced too.

Carey

moondoggie
06-18-2005, 07:44
Good Day!

In my little world, "original miles" generally means the heads haven't been off & maybe the tranny hasn't been out and/or apart.

It's too bad "original miles" (or "haven't put a wrench to 'er") isn't also accompanied by a VERY short list of exceptions - CareyWeber's list is WAY too common. :( There are folks out there with Toyota's & such that CAN say "original miles" with very vew exceptions. :mad: Don't get me wrong - there isn't (& won't be) any foreign stuff on my driveway (I'd rather push my Chevy than drive...) but they've done an admirable job; American iron has actually gotten much better too. :D

Blessings!

MTTwister
06-18-2005, 09:45
So Carey - what you're saying is that the paint is original? :D

turbovair
06-18-2005, 11:50
I guess saying original miles is like saying regular army. Are there unoriginal miles or an irregular army? All I know is my trucks list of replaced parts is almost as long as CareyWebers.

DmaxMaverick
06-18-2005, 13:14
It's all subject to interpretation.

In my case, with my '85 Blazer, original miles means no major repairs. I did repair the transfer case and the rear end was repaired a couple times, and finally replaced. The engine has had no repairs, other than what I consider normal maintenance. I did remove the heads at about 280K, but not due to any problems. Head gaskets were replaced and it went back together.

IMO, alternators, PS pumps, A/C compressors and vacuum pumps are considered normal maintenance items if they fail after a "normal" time/miles of use. Head gaskets on a Diesel engine may fall into this category, as well. On the Blazer, the A/C compressor was replaced once, and the alternator about every 120K.

CareyWeber
06-18-2005, 13:20
I think that my list is ok all the items except the door handles are normal wear items. The fact that the engine has not been opened up not even to replace the water pump is great. My 4L80E has only had fluid and filter changes and one sensor cleaned.

All my U-joints and CV joints are original and so are all my wheel bearings.

Normal wear items are not things I mind replacing.

The fact that my low beam head lights lasted 190K miles before I had one burn out is amazing and my high beams are still going strong too!

edited for spelling

Carey

[ 06-19-2005, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: CareyWeber ]

damork
06-18-2005, 20:56
I'm with Moondoggie - heads not off and tranny still intact.

curmudge1
06-21-2005, 08:39
So my '94 Blazer 6.5TD, 3rd IP, original engine, tranny & TC with no major internal repairs is doing good at about 255,500 miles? Bought it used at ~65k miles.

I did have the water pump replaced last fall.

Cowracer
06-21-2005, 08:49
Ya know, that brings up another point. I see all the time where a car for sale is touted as having "ONE OWNER".

But what if that 'one owner' was a lazy POS who never maintained a thing on it? How is "one owner" supposed to be an advantage?

Tim

cruzer
06-21-2005, 09:32
A buddy of mine bought old CJ7 one owner, it ran good and had low miles and you could see right thru it. What a piece of junk. He was proud of it though.

To me original miles would mean actual miles.
What about a car w/the original engine, matching numbers, ect. To me it could have been rebuilt, but it is the original engine.

A phrase to help the seller. You need to ask what he means.
Just a thought.
Ken

Clatter
06-21-2005, 10:51
One owner means a lot...IF...you can talk to the "one owner." Bought my truck based on two owners, ran the VIN and found there were 3, based on registration.

"Original miles" means squat to me.

farmerherb
06-21-2005, 15:55
I have 318,918 original miles on my truck(IP replaced at 66,000) I've replaced alternator, water pump, belt, batteries,small electrical parts and tires.