PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Smart Box E experience?

Billy T
06-17-2003, 21:39
We just got our hands on the revamped Van Aiken Box - Smart Box E )-70-110 HP. Any feedback good or bad?

06-18-2003, 07:56
I have had a Smart Box E on my 02 for about 10,000 miles now and it has worked flawless. Towing a 12,000 pound fifth wheel on the 70 HP setting I only see 850-1050 deg. pulling hard on hills. Stock it was 1200-1300. The Smart Box also senses trans. slip and if any is detected it ramps down power to stop it. This stops any unwanted limp home mode moments. I have not experienced any of the performance mod gremlins that I have read about in other posts.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-18-2003, 08:02
Originally posted by 1822:
I have had a Smart Box E on my 02 for about 10,000 miles now and it has worked flawless. Towing a 12,000 pound fifth wheel on the 70 HP setting I only see 850-1050 deg. pulling hard on hills. Stock it was 1200-1300. The Smart Box also senses trans. slip and if any is detected it ramps down power to stop it. This stops any unwanted limp home mode moments. I have not experienced any of the performance mod gremlins that I have read about in other posts. Are you pre turbo EGT or post turbo EGT???

It makes a huge difference in temps on the gauge.

GMC ;)

Kennedy
06-18-2003, 08:03
They work well, and put out about as much HP as a 90 HP Juice. TQ is down about 20 lb/ft IIRC, and comes a couple hundred RPM higher. The timing is a bit aggressive for my likings as it gets pretty "pingy" around town. Enough for Elaine to say "rattle rattle, rattle" when we left a stop and prompted her to ask what box I was running that day.

Smoke is pretty much non existent also, but it takes much more pedal input than the Edge to get the power...

06-18-2003, 11:23
GMC-2002-Dmax- Pre turbo, RS manifold, no.2 cyl.

king D
06-18-2003, 13:12
have ran several different hp versions of the smart box and have been very happy with all but one.very good box change modes on the fly andbetter fuel mileage than any other box on the market.as far as rattle maybe it is just my truck but when i run versions of the va with less than 140 hp i hear no pinging at all every truck reacts a little different.i like them and will prob keep mine after i update to a larger box just to keep....jess

fredw
06-19-2003, 03:56
i as well have run a few versions of vanaken, latest one is the 110hp version, as king said i have no pinging and see a twenty percent few miliage increase with the 110 setting, i only run with the high setting, and pull a 7000lb trailer half the time, very happy customer :D :D :D :D

Kennedy
06-19-2003, 08:42
I've run the 1.5, 1.7, 1.8, and 1.9? firmware versions and neither will match the 90 HP Juice when on the 110 setting. Close, but no cigar. Been pondering sending them back for updates.

The 225HP unit is good for about 180HP but lacks torque by a very substantial amount.

king D
06-19-2003, 16:27
jk there are some programmres out thier with va files that have been able to come up with some pretty good hp programs that will give a little better 1/4 time than a juice but have no idea about hp or torque never been to a dyno but do plan to go very soon

Billy T
06-22-2003, 21:52
I plugged in the Smart Box E after getting truck out of shop. It was pretty respectable. I did not have time to wire in the switch until today though. I think it is wired wrong because with the little jumper in place it is in level 2 and when the switch is installed, it goes from 0 to Level 2 then Level 1. And in level 2 it hauls A**! I have not had the Juice in it for about a week, but according to JK the torque numbers are down. I guess when I tow our fiver up the road thursday, I will see. I will have to tow in level 1 because Level 2 swings the Pyro to 1400 + immediatly with NO trailer! I do not like that. Cruise is quiet and no obnoxius pinging if timing is advanced, I can't tell.

Will let y'all know how she does on the hwy after this weekend.

BTW, I had one of the original VA boxes and got rid of it bercause of false MIL's and overboost codes. That is when I went to juice.

:rolleyes:

CPMac632
06-23-2003, 08:38
You don't have a 110 hp version of the smartbox. It has to be a higher setting. When the switch is not plugged in it will be in the same setting as the far right setting with the switch. The high hp boxes have the high setting in the middle position.

Billy T
06-23-2003, 10:01
I would tend to agree with you because the exhaust temps with the Std Juice level 4 did not climb this fast. I can peg 1500 degrees on a 0 - 60 run. I did not know about High setting in middle so thanks for the info. I will call BD to find out what the hell I have.

:D

Catalina455
06-24-2003, 12:32
John, could you clarify what is available on Smart Box E's? You list the Smart Box E 110/200 with the infinitely adjustable knob
(on sale). Valley (which I believe is a BD subsidiary) E-bays a Smart Box E with 110/250 with a 3 position switch. Is Valley(BD) just importing from VA and doing custom programming?

Thanks

Kennedy
06-24-2003, 13:29
VA makes the box.

A couple of the units that I have are from BD as they were sent as warranty replacements for the old SB. I BELIEVE that the std programming is 70 and 110 HP, but have heard of 150HP programs being sent out. The 235HP (aka 225 aka 220) works fairly well. 420HP from 242 base and a relatively low 782 (boxes in this range typically cross 820+) LB/ft of TQ

I know some guys have been doing/claiming custom tunes. VA says no not possible, but I've seen some of one of the "custom" tuners' work for another box, and it works very well.

One fact remains: I cannot seem to GIVE them away

Billy T
06-25-2003, 21:55
I called BD (aka Valley Fuel Injection) to ask them what the hell they thought I had. This one too was a warranty replacement for an earlier model VA.

Matt @ BD told me that they do not custom program the Smart E. The High in center is the way they were originally designed but BD requested a 0 - mid - high type selection and got it when they were moving a lot of the VA boxes. They don't have that kind of stroke with them anymore so we get the "original 0 - High - medium switch again.

I will be towing my trailer for the first time with this new box Thursday evening. No doubt I will have to tow in Mid position and I can only hope that does't over fuel it. I limped the Ali yest leaving Burger King for no apparent reason. Wasn't pushing it or anything. ????

I will bring a Juice along because if this thing is too hot to tow, it has to go.

235 HP box John? Then what would the middle be 110 or so? BD said to send it back and they would "Check it" I declined, so far. My son will order a 2004 with the new LLY D MAX. Maybe he can use it, unless they change electronics which they will probably do given the new turbo and all.

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

[ 06-25-2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Billy T ]

Kennedy
06-26-2003, 08:02
As I understand, only the MEGA programs will run O-Hi-Lo, and the rest all run 0-Lo-Hi

There is also now a 150HP tune out I am told...

CPMac632
06-26-2003, 09:43
John is right about the switch positions. The off road use only or extreme hp boxes are the only ones that have the middle position being the highest hp. The 0-70-110 boxes are from left to right on the switch. The high hp boxes generally have a 70 hp file for the far right position, but I have some that are 110 and 140 on the far right setting. Billy T I would bet you accidentally got a race program box. I would definately not tow with it until you find out for sure. I towed 18k last weekend with my truck and a 200hp box and could only get the pyro to 1350, then I unhooked the trailer and pulled a sled at a pull and the pyro went 1800+.

Billy T
06-29-2003, 20:09
I towed my RV this weekend and was able to easlily achieve 1400 deg in first level. The smoke never completly goes away and I don't think I am putting down the torque that a std juice does in level 3. This box would be great for a Hot-Rodder but for towing I don't really care for it. Solo, in max level, it will flat knock your socks off. I think you are right CPMac, I accidentally got a Race Box. My Son would like to keep it for his '04 he will be ordering, but I am sure GM will change the electronics on the new LLY Engine. I may send off my Juice and get it Hot Juiced. BTW, the 8890# Dually got to 60 in 7 secs with the VA Box and 8 sec with level 4 std juice