PDA

View Full Version : NEW Duramax engine for sale........

Duramaxerado
03-02-2003, 21:43
if anyone is interested I ran across this on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2405938715&category=33615

Toddster
03-03-2003, 08:31
Buyer beware !!! This dude better come up with a better explaination of where this motor came from...Surplus Duramax eh ? Take a close look, this motor was taken out of something, serpentine belt hanging from the oil fill, rusty exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, radiator hose, etc...WAY to many parts to be a GM "surplus" drop in...Also, check out all the riffled parts off the front of the motor...It may have zero miles on it but it was surely taken out of a truck, so I doubt it...Check into this motor before bidding, don't get the shaft...

Kennedy
03-03-2003, 08:38
My sentiments exactly. Likely a salvage engine from a wrecked truck or a warranty pull out, BUT how does a guy know for sure???

Duramaxerado
03-03-2003, 11:33
This is what he has to say about it.. He says that he "only has a few of these"!!

I guess that means a few engines??

hmmm... something is not right for sure..

I myself work at a chevrolet dealership and we sure as heck dont have any surplus duramax engines laying around.

Duramaxerado
03-03-2003, 11:34
YOU ARE BIDDING ON A ZERO MILEAGE, NEVER INSTALLED, NEVER RUN, SURPLUS ENGINE MADE FOR A 2001 SILVERADO PICKUP, COMPLETE WITH THE TURBO. THIS ENGINE COMES WITH A 6 MONTH WARRANTY. UNIT INCLUDES ALL THAT IS SHOWN IN PHOTO, BUT NO AC PUMP, ALTERNATOR, STARTER OR OTHER ENGINE ACCESORIES. NO WIRING HARNESS IS INCLUDED. THIS IS A VERY DESIRABLE UNIT. THIS IS GM'S POWERHOUSE UNIT. VERY STRONG, AND VERY VERY HARD TO FIND. BUYER TO PAY ALL SHIPPING COSTS. ENGINE WILL BE SHIPPED VIA A FREIGHT TRUCK, AND BUYER WILL BE RESPONSIBLE TO PICK IT UP AT THE NEAREST FREIGHT TERMINAL TO THEIR HOME. INSURANCE IS REQURIED TO SHIP THIS AS WELL, BUYERS RESPONSIBILITY. I WILL SET UP ALL SHIPPING ON THIS END, AS WELL AS THE PACKAGING OF THE ENGINE. PAYMENT EXPECTED WITHIN 1 WEEK OR NEGITIVE FEEDBACK WILL BE LEFT. THIS IS THE REAL DEAL, DONT MISS OUT. I ONLY HAVE A FEW OF THESE. PAYPAL ACCEPTED ONLY IF PRIOR ARRANGEMENTS ARE MADE VIA EMAIL. OTHERWISE CASHIERS CHECK OR MONEY ORDERS ONLY!

Kennedy
03-03-2003, 12:48
Dmax ltd could not keep up with the demand last I heard. I think they may well be dyno test failure engines that did not meet spec. All engines are dyno tested prior to shipping...

D-max Man
03-03-2003, 14:01
If you click on "view sellers other auctions" you will see that he is also selling other engines. The engine rack that they are sitting on says "Romulas" on it.
My guess is that these are coming out of GM's Romulas Engineering Center. I don't believe that GM sells prototype engines on ebay. When I worked at the GM proving ground, all of the test parts were scrapped for liability reasons (too many greedy lawyers).

Also I see the number CP3822 on the exhaust down pipe heat shield. This is a truck number. GM uses these numbers to identify its prototype trucks.

C = 2 wheel drive
P = pick up
3 = 2003
8 = 1-ton
22 = truck #22 built with that configuration.
(Truck may have been a 2003 with an older engine)

My guess is that this is not a new engine however it could be a low mileage engine. I would be leery of buying it because it may not have left Romulas legally.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: D-max Man ]</p>

Maverick
03-03-2003, 15:51
Excellent info D-Max Man. You are like a secret weapon for the rest of us.

hoot
03-03-2003, 21:12
------------------quote--------------------------
They were bought legally and lawfully thru a source that I work for. A salvage auto yard. We do not represent these as new motors. These are what we refer to as reman surplus engines.
They all were sold to us from representatives of GM. Obviously these are not test motors or they would have had fluids in them. They are exactly what they are. Left over surplus stuff that was bought thru legal and official sources.
--------------------------------------------------

D-max Man
03-03-2003, 23:19
For the benefit of doubt, I am aware that GM does sell parts by the pound to some local salvage yards but only if they have 100% production content.

I see that he changed the picture so you no longer can see the writing on the engine rack. I wonder why he did that?

This is a quote from the ad on ebay:

"YOU ARE BIDDING ON A ZERO MILEAGE, NEVER INSTALLED, NEVER RUN"

And he says he "does not represent them as new motors". If the engine was never run, why would it have a truck number on it? Maybe the down pipe was changed?

I am not accusing anyone of steeling them, I am just saying "buyer beware".

I recently got word that I was mentioned as a possible source of these parts being sold on ebay. ---I do not sell Duramax parts--- but a former employer needed someone to blame and sense I no longer work there, I became a suspect.

I told them to buy the parts themselves and that way they could trace the real source of these parts.

Sense I was told that the parts being sold were not authorized for sale, I thought a word of caution would be appropriate.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: D-max Man ]</p>

Bobcat698
03-03-2003, 23:23
You aren't working for DMAX LTD anymore DMax Man???

:(

D-max Man
03-03-2003, 23:28
I never worked for D-Max LTD.

I worked at the GM Proving Ground (contract) for 4 1/2 years. Next I worked for GM's advertising agency for 8 months and then I went to work at the Isuzu Technical Center in Plymouth, Michigan for 1 1/2 years.

Now I work for Detroit Diesel. I do the same kind of work but I get paid better!

Devin Tornow
03-04-2003, 21:26
FYI,

I have tried very hard to talk to the seller in Grand Rapids, Michigan (according to his other past auctions) about purchasing some of these engines. I will not provide the details right now but he is making it VERY VERY TOUGH and will not let you come look at the engines.

Anybody know Michigan Engine Surplus dealers in Grand Rapids?

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Devin Tornow ]

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Devin Tornow ]</p>

hoot
03-04-2003, 22:10
And why wouldn't he want you looking.
Did you smell something?

Kennedy
03-04-2003, 22:12
I know an engine shop in G.R. that may have some insight, and may know more...

Devin Tornow
03-05-2003, 19:09
I would appreciate ANY INSIGHT into finding the true owner of the engines in Grand Rapids..? The web site he gave me has no contact info but an e-mail address. Read below and you'll understand. Man an I fustrated!

FYI I have alredy identified another source for surplus Duramaxs! Yipee!

The guy holds tight and here are a few responses as I have pushed hard to get a phone call and see the engines.

"only being sold via Ebay" "to come see them and take one home with you is out of the question. They are all to be auctioned off."

"selling these thru my employer, with his permission. Any money I make above and beyond the original sale price is mine. If I were to allow you to come pick them up and see them, I would not make anything. That isn't any fun for me. I would like a cut as well. BUT if you buy them this way, I get my cut and you get a wonderful engine. Now do you understand my dislike of you coming and buying it on the spot. I end up getting nothing, because anything I sell during normal business hours, I don't get a cut. If I sell it on my own time, and get paid out of work, I get a percentage, although small, but still a percentage. Money makes the world go around my friend. I just want to make a little. I hope you understand my dilemma. Maybe you have a idea that can make things work for both of us."

'If you cant do business with me on my terms I understand. Otherwise, you know what your getting, and you are getting a full
warranty and a money back guarantee. What more could you possibly need. Anyway, I have explained myself numerous times to numerous people on the engines already."

TSimpler
03-05-2003, 20:57
does any body else smell that???

it smells familiar...

I swear I've smelled it before...

I remember smelling a lot of it in the Army

I REMEMBER NOW..

IT'S PURE, UNCUT, USDA CERTIFIED BULL$H!T

just my 2 cents, I use E-bay ALOT. Everyone has been willing to talk to me on the phone,they will also give details and let me inspect before I buy

hoot
03-05-2003, 21:27
Here is an email i just recieve from the seller...

-----------quote-------------------
I appreciate you showing me the messages. To be quite honest with you GM will not let my company represent them as

Duramaxerado
03-05-2003, 23:32
this is a link to the results of all of his posts ever at his Z28 board..

lets do some research on this fool and figure out who he is.. then find out who he works for and get to the bottom of things..

http://web.camaross.com/forums/search.php?s=77f7a36226784438bc46d560bcf17131&action=showresults&searchid=254905

Duramaxerado
03-05-2003, 23:37
here is homeys page..

http://home.attbi.com/~enginepage/index.html

Mike Fultz
03-06-2003, 08:37
If you go to his web site, he shows pictures of engines on pallets--- these could have been taken anywhere. He does not list and address, phone number or any other means of ordering an engine. First rule of on-line buying is only buy through those that will give you a physical address, a real phone number, and some way of buying on-line with a protected source.
:eek:

Colorado Kid
03-06-2003, 08:52
So he's selling an engine (or engines) that he does not own :eek: that we can't go look at :eek: and that we're to take his word have never been run even though they are "not new". :confused:

By the way, didn't the story about the D-max plant in Ohio say they are ALL run after assembly? :rolleyes:

For one thing, I don't need another engine. :cool:
For another thing, I don't think I'd bid on this one if I did. tongue.gif

hoot
03-06-2003, 08:56
It sounds like he's selling brand new GM engines right out of the dealership he works for and is getting commission on his sales.

Might be totally kosher.

D-max Man
03-06-2003, 13:29
If you go to the site that Duramaxerado posted and click on the center D-Max pic, it will go full screen and the word "Drained" is clearly visible on the oil filter.

The seller said in an earlier quote (posted by Hoot) "Obviously these are not test motors or they would have had fluids in them".

How then does he explain the word DRAINED on his own pics?

I have people looking into it and I should be able to tell you the real scoop on these engines soon.

hoot
03-06-2003, 14:24
I don't think the seller knows what he's talking about. All of the factory engines had fluids run through them for the dyno test.

D-max Man
03-06-2003, 14:48
Hoot,

It may turn out to be a ligitamitly bought engine however I don't believe the "NEVER RUN" part of it.

There is a truck number on the engine. Those numbers are only used on GM test vehicles.

Why would GM install an engine and then remove it again without ever running it?

This may well be a low mileage engine and may be in perfect running condition but it is not "NEW" as it is being advertised.

Frankly, I wouldn't even have gotten involved in this discussion if my name hadn't come up in a discussion about unautherized parts being sold on ebay.

Lower_Suburbia
03-07-2003, 22:29
Let us know I'm interested in getting a Dmax for my Suburban :D

D-max Man
03-10-2003, 07:08
Sold for $4,500.00.

He said that his boss wanted a minimum amount and he got to keep anything over that. I wonder how much his boss would gave sold it for?

77TransAm
03-10-2003, 07:31
Quote from my post on GM-Diesel com (I didn't want to re-type it)...

"Here's some food for thought.....

On the heat shield over the downpipe from the turbo is some writing, including "CP3822" and "1F199840" The CP3822 fits the profile of how GM numbers prototype test vehicles.
C - 2WD
P - Powertrain
3 - Model year to be tested (2003)
8 - GMT800
22 - vehicle number

The last 8 of the VIN come up as a 2001 Silverado that was build for a special event and never left GM. This probably means it went to the prototype operations build center to be converted to 2003 wiring, dash, powertrain, etc.

This probably means that the engine in the auction is the original engine removed from the truck so an '03 engine could be installed, or it could be the intended '03 engine that didn't make it into the truck because GM discovered some problem and installed a different engine instead. Could be none of the above, but I thought I'd spill whatever I knew about it...

Bottom line: make sure you know and trust whomever is providing the 6 month warranty."

The more I think about it, the more I believe this was probably the assembly line motor that the 2001 truck was built with. It was run long enough to get the truck off the line, on the hauler, and over to the prototype build center. Then it was yanked out for a 2003 engine to be installed and stuck in a warehouse. I have no idea whether it is legit for it to be sold or not, but I would guess that it is 100% production content.

D-max Man
03-10-2003, 07:41
While I agree with what you posted, you missed read the GM truck number.

C - 2WD (correct)

P - Powertrain (Actually stands for pick-up not powertrain. They use a "U" for Utility and a "C" for cargo and so on)

3 - Model year to be tested (2003) (correct)

8 - GMT800 (Actually the "8" is the truck class code. 1-5 = 1/2 ton, 6&7 = 3/4 ton and 8&9 = 1-ton)

22 - vehicle number (Correct)

I spent 4 1/2 years at the GM Proving Ground working for Truck Division so I dealt with those numbers every day.

My sources say that the truck with that number is still in GM's possession.

[ 03-10-2003: Message edited by: D-max Man ]</p>

77TransAm
03-10-2003, 08:28
Makes sense... thanks! smile.gif

mackin
03-10-2003, 20:48
Tell you what.....If it's ligit, dude got a steal .....
=&gt;http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2405938715&category=33615

I want one !!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Wonder if he can get some Allison's???

MAC :D :D :D

Aluminator
03-10-2003, 21:38
If anybody can get me an address I will have my son-inlaw run over and check it out! He is a mechanic for a GM dealer there.

Dennis