PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Resistance

JTodd
11-07-2005, 09:10
Has anyone every checked the rolling resistance of one of our trucks to give a baseline for improved fuel economy? It would seem beneficial to have a measurement of time and distance for a neutral coast down from 30mph to 0. This would give a comparison number for others. With this we could see where improvements could be made to increase fuel ecomony in addition to engine / exhaust upgrades.

I would time mine, but I think my front end needs work. I recently got just under 18mpg for about 90% highway. I would hope for closer to 20.

DennisG01
11-07-2005, 11:07
Boy, there's a lot of variables to factor in, though. Wind, tires, road condition to name a few. Plus, it might be hard to find a PERFECTLY level surface that is long enough to allow this test. However, if it could be done, it would be some interesting numbers to compare! smile.gif

G. Gearloose
11-07-2005, 11:50
Also, speedometer calibration would be critical.

markrinker
11-09-2005, 04:35
My #2 truck has always shown high rolling resistance. Has nothing to do with tires - everything to do with front end alignment, and also rear brake adjustment.

I think you could park it on a 20% asphault grade and it would stay put in neutral with the brakes off!!!