PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good service dept?

dmaxalliTech
06-07-2003, 16:36
I am curious on what you all think it takes to make a good service dept. One that you would go back to over and over or drive great distances to have them repair you truck. Do you often stick with the same mechanic or just take it in and have the next avail joeblow work on it? I am working on making our dealer the Premier Durmax facility in the Great Lakes region....

DMAX Daddy
06-07-2003, 16:51
I just had my truck serviced, and to me it was the little things they did and didnt charge me for. The High Beam indicator too bright fix was a Chevy's doing, but adjusting the ABS for bigger tires was my doing.

They did both, didnt charge me for either, and bought me a cup of coffee while I waited for my ride to pick me up.

I dont mind paying for the big things, but little things like that mean a lot cause I know they could have tagged some mechanic time onto both of them.

FirstDiesel
06-07-2003, 17:22
Let's see, in no particular order of importance:

1. When I make an appointment I expect the work to get done. Not a story like our tranny tech is tied up on another job. What? A huge dealer has one tranny tech?? And if you knew he was busy why not call me and offer to postpone the appointment.

2. Don't give me a BS answer about the problem I can clearly show you because you don't really know how to fix it and aren't willing to try.

3. Do the job right. nuff said??

4. Don't give me the truck back dirty, with grease on the steering wheel and mats.

5. I'd like to be treated nicely and maybe even meet the guy working on my truck instead of acting like he's a mutant locked in the shop and your scared to let me see him.

6. If you offer rides home and back don't give me a BS story about the guy isn't sent out in the afternoon because of the traffic???

7. I know your in the business to make money but don't try to make the months profit margin on my repair. Fair is fair but sometimes the prices for a job are just short of being insane!!

8. Don't waste my time and insult me by trying to sell me all your packages of magic formulas that cure low oil pressure, rough idling, and war in the Middle East.

9. In general treat me like a friend, don't lie to me, don't try to screw me and most of all FIX MY TRUCK when I've left it for you as long as you said you needed it to get the repair "Done Right"

I'm sure there are a bunch more but the main thing is do what you say, when you say and do it right the first time.

imported_
06-07-2003, 17:59
Something that I wish my dealership would have done is create a "service team" so that I could deal with the same people every time. This would include the service writer, mechanic, shop foreman and salesman. I think for the high end vehicles this would be a great service. You would get to know you mechanic and he may get to know you. Some on this list have created this, as have I, but I struggled through all the crap first.

What I don't like is at my dealership there is a suspension guy, a electronics guy, a diesel guy (well not really a diesel guy) or what ever. This drives me crazy. I would like to have truck guys and everything else guys. My duramax is nothing like a minivan. For the small things, it wouldn't matter, but it should be initiated from your main mechanic.

I also appreciate the small things. My folks Honda dealership gives a quick vaccum and wash (nothing fancy) on any vehicle they do service on. It is a nice touch. The coffee is always free.

The other thing I notice is that so many new mechanics are not "car guys". I am not sure if that makes sense or not. The service writers generally don't know $hit from shine-o-la. They are usually the kid that got promoted from sweeping the floors.

It's like on my truck with the cat filter causing hesitations. I talked to my GM mechanic about it and he thinks it is a good idea, probably won't void warranty, but understands it is not GM's problem. He is willing to do some investigating at his level but won't tie up alot of time with it. The same goes for my gauges, straight pipe or what ever. Any decent mechanic knows these will not effect a vehicles performance and should not be a warranty issue. I accept this as a good level of service.

In contrast the cat guy I bought $200 in parts from came to my shop to help me with the problem for 8 hours of his own time.

I don't think this is a Cat vs GM thing. It is totally individualistic on part of the Cat guy. He is a car/truck nut. I am sure that there are many Cat techs that wouldn't give a $hit as to what my duramax was doing. It was one of those things that made me go "Wow, that was impressive!".

The reprograming stuff bothers me as well. It takes 10 minutes to do, and if you are already in there with the tech2 just change the stuff I ask for and don't charge me. If I come in with no other problems and I want you to reset my high idle speeds, then sure, hit me up for 1/2 hour charge, but if you are checking for other codes that are set and I ask if you could bump up my idle speed, a good dealership does it for no charge.

I could go on and on

rant off

DonG
06-07-2003, 18:09
Lets See:

1. Treat me like I have a brain.

2. Allow me to talk to the Tech in the shop. Do not use the crap that insurance will not let me in. If your shop is that dangerous, it should be cleaned up.

3. Explain what was found and what was repaired. Do not make me search for information.

4. Charge the right amount. Then I will be back. Over-charge and that will be my last visit.

5. Move your shop to near my neighborhood. Good shops are very hard to find.

When I am in Michigan next month, I may just stop by to see how you are doing.

Don

DieselDixon
06-07-2003, 18:30
Well all this might not be practical but some of it just happened to me the last time my truck was in the shop.

Positives:
</font> Fix the truck right the first time!</font> My truck was there for 2 weeks and they detailed it for me before I picked it up</font> If I bring in a huge truck, don't give me a compact car as a rental. I got a truck as a rental, no extra charge.</font> Negatives:
</font> Don't take a penny out of my change compartment, one dealer took about $2 in change and I will never go back</font> Don't damage my truck and say it wasn't us. That happened to me too (same dealer)</font>
Good luck to you!

bhinrichs
06-07-2003, 19:28
For me it takes 3 things.

Actually know what you are doing. The first (and only) time they greased my truck, 3 of the rubber boots were blown. I don't mind paying for service, I don't like paying for OJT. They still tell me there is nothing that can be done about the use of the engine heater causing a Service Engine light. I'm trying to find a way to get them to do the ECM/TCM updates on my truck. There is nothing "wrong with it enough" to justify it.

Charge what it is really worth, not just what you can charge. They keep telling me that GM sets the prices for parts. I keep going to other dealers and getting %20 - %40 better prices for filters, grape juice, ...

At least try to be a little neat with my vehicle. After the first LOF, I had big gobs of grease laying on my driveway (that's how I found out about the boots being blown) and I had oil spots on a driveway that had been clean for 12 years (they couldn't keep from filling the skid plate when draining the oil and didn't bother to clean it up afterwards).

This is what it would take to get me to go back again.

I would pay a premium to use the shop if they can establish trust. Sooner or later we all run into the it'll cost $X00 dollars to fix situation. You cough up the $X00 dollars, guess what, that didn't fix it.

If you can find a place that will deal with those situations, then premium price is worth it. Trouble is, most places like that don't sell Duramax trucks.

So, like most here is seems, I do all of my own normal maintenance, and pray that nothing major goes wrong.

Bert

Ray Smith
06-07-2003, 19:56
With me it is the little things that add up to make the service department I use superior. Here are some things they have done in no special order.

Senior Discount on parts even though I’m about ten years away from qualifying for the discount.

They will give me a break on Labor if what the book says to charge is way out of line with what it actually takes to do the job.

If something takes the truck down to the point it doesn’t run they get me in right away. They always have a car to loan me, even for the rigs that are out of warranty. On more than one occasion the Service Manager has even loaned me his personal demo.

I don’t know how they pull it off but there has been several times they have been able to get GM to pay for out of warranty items that have failed. A couple that I can think of over the years are a radiator, starter, ball joints. I've never had to make a fuss for this treatment. If they feel a componet has failed before it should have, they start the process.

They always offer a wash unless I’m pinched for time.

I should say that some of this special service MAY be earned on my part. I don’t know, I’ve never asked for it and they have never offered an explanation for their superior service. The reason I say earned is because any GM vehicle my family buys comes from this dealer and has for years. And in my case, no one else touches the vehicle except them. This includes everything from oil changes to major mechanical as well as body and paint items.

Another contributing factor I believe is this is a family owned dealership. Most if not all of the employees end up being life time employees. It's nice to see the same faces, time after time, year after year. We all know each other on a first name basis. To me, allot of the guys and gals that work there feel like family and that is how we treat each other.

dmaxalliTech
06-07-2003, 20:55
Thank you all very much for your input. I think I am on the right track with what you all are looking for. I like to have a very personal relationship with my customers. Not a kinky thing :D . Most of them deal directly with me and I go to the service writer to have the truck written up. They usually call me directly and set up their appointment, I know my schedule and work load best, so I can fit them in when they need to come in, no waiting. I offer the wash on everything I service. About a month ago, I took them all out to lunch for some prime rib. I will do the little things for you, so long as it does not cross the line with mgmt. For instance, I did a spring update for the Allison sitting problem, had the fender liner out to remove conv. bolts and cust wanted fuel filter replaced. Heck, I was right there, took five minutes and handled it for him, normally has .5 hour charge. MAXImiser comes in with his truck, I usually give him a ride to work or deliver his truck to him and take back his loaner. We are going to the NASCAR race next weekend at Michigan togather. Thats the kind of relationship I like to have with my customers. I also will take the customers side when going against gm for warr issues. MAXImiser had a grinding noise in his t-case when engaging four wheel drive. I managed to get GM to pick up the entire bill on the truck with over 50k on it. 6.6l&impalaSS has come up and spent a good deal of money with me/us. He lives 2 hours away and I appreciated him giving me the opportunity to work on his ride. Coldfront has come up from Chicago area for some simple maintence on his truck. Installed Deep pan kit and some synthetics in the axles. Also programmed his keyfobs for him. Again, he drove 3-4 hours each way for a few hours work. Thank you Jim.

There are some local customers that I deal with that are casual readers of TDP and they get the same treatment. Mike Tomac, thank you too.

Like most of you mentioned, the coffee is free, the donuts are free, the smiles are free, the loaner car is free, the satisfaction of a job well done is priceless.

I think it is very wise for a tech to get to know his customers on a first name basis. To establish trust in each other, You trust me to tell you whats wrong and to fix it. I trust you to give me accurate information and return to me for service work.

Big Blue:

What I don't like is at my dealership there is a suspension guy, a electronics guy, a diesel guy (well not really a diesel guy) or what ever. This drives me crazy. I would like to have truck guys and everything else guys. My duramax is nothing like a minivan. For the small things, it wouldn't matter, but it should be initiated from your main mechanic. I think that as vehicles are getting more and more complicated, its gonna be more specialized. I like to do as much as I can do on your rig for you, but somethings I wont do, Seat covers are what comes to mind. Those go to the trim shop! I work closely with another tech in my shop that is very qualified, He is a brake and suspension tech. I can do them but I prefer not to. I am a heavy line tech, engines, trans, drivability etc. I give him my brake work, he gives me his heavy work etc. Its a win/win deal for us and the customer as he is getting the best person for a particular task working on his vehicle.

Don, please do stop in when you come this way.

I spend approx 20 hours a month in training/learning new and better ways and technology updates. It is important to do so so that I may be the most corrent with the fixes and new problems that arise. This helps me to fix it right the first time. Thats the most important thing to do..

Keep posting fella's. I am taking all your info very seriously. smile.gif

imported_
06-07-2003, 22:18
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
I work closely with another tech in my shop that is very qualified, He is a brake and suspension tech. I can do them but I prefer not to. I am a heavy line tech, engines, trans, drivability etc. I give him my brake work, he gives me his heavy work etc. Its a win/win deal for us and the customer as he is getting the best person for a particular task working on his vehicle.
I agree with this 100%, but you, as the main tech on my truck should be involved with me on the initial complaint. I want you to introduce me to "John, our suspension and brake guy, He'll take good care of you." That kind of thing doesn't happen at my dealership.

Saskatchewan is a beautiful place this time of year, maybe you should move on up? :D Bring your qualified brake and suspension friend ;)

The fix it right the first time used to bother me, until I started doing major work on my own vehicles. Sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. I have confidence that those working on my truck are doing the best they or anyone else can.

jbplock
06-08-2003, 04:30
Hmmm... How far of a drive is Grand Rapids?

Keep up the good work Eric! Happy customers will breed more happy customers for your buisness. smile.gif

letsgo
06-08-2003, 05:59
In the Toronto area (about 10 GM dealers) the person that works on your truck is a # number # a no name, you cannot speak to the mechanic only to a service rep, who now gets 10% of all service work that goes across his desk, and if I get totally pi$$ed I see the service manager, but never the mechanic, also the hourly rate has jumped to $92.00cdn.

oh I also get a free coffee with powdered cream.

what I would like doesnt exist, I cant even get an 11 point grease job because the wheel has to be turned, and heaven only knows what oil they put in for the oil change, (do my own).

enough b!tch!n .

good luck (for me that is)

truck_n
06-08-2003, 08:55
dmaxalliTech,
Can you be cloned? What will it take to get you out to California? Seriously, You have given me better service, response and honesty on this TDP
Than the dealer that I have spent thousands of dollars with. I know this hasn't made you any money from me, but rest assured because of my travels, you will see me at your dealership someday soon. Reread Service, Response, and Honesty, that's what it takes to earn my loyalty.
Thanks. (what if I could get you a good deal on real estate?)

Victory Red
06-08-2003, 09:42
When I first bought my truck I had some electrical issues. The BCM, power seats, passenger side windows, dash assembly was all replaced. It wasn't until I talked to the mechanic personally and told him my situation that the problem was fixed.

What was it? A wire that had the insulation rubbed off either from installation or my use of the parking/emergency brake(poor routing). In any regards the best service department is the one that treats ALL VEHICLE'S as if they owned them personally.

GSXRTURBO1
06-08-2003, 09:49
DmaxalliTech, I'd like to meet you, and am considering having you do any/all work on my vehicle. It's a drive (I'm downriver - Southgate), but I think it would be worth the drive.

Dmaxducker
06-08-2003, 10:47
DmaxalliTech,

Will be there middle of June for my 20,000 mile checkup. Should be a quick drive up from Fresno, California. Will negotiate your move to California at that time, but would have to be Fresno. :D Seriously, I think we'll be passing through on a Sunday so I don't know that we'll be able to hook up. But if anything changes will email you as directed. Thanks!

dmaxalliTech
06-08-2003, 11:40
Bill, Grand Rapids is a few hours from you ;)
So lets see, I can vacation in Canada, California.....LOL

Dmaxducker, even if its a Sunday, lemme know, we can still do lunch or something.

Tony, I hope they got your truck fixed for you, which injectors did they replace?

gsxrturbo, You lemme know when you wanna come up, I think its worth the drive :D

Victory, I think alot of info is lost in the communication line from you to the tech, thats a perfect example of why 1 on 1 is good, get the story right, un edited by the adviser etc. I find myself calling customers all of the time to get information that was not recieved or written down on 4 or 5 lines on the repair order.

Letsgo, I have been ridiculed for removing a tire to get at gease zerks before on an oil change. Other techs laugh at me an jester, "its just 0.3 for that lof, not 3.0!!" Its all the details I think.....

More Power
06-08-2003, 15:38
DmaxalliTech,

I agree with most everyone here about service expectations. To expand - honesty, a willingness to work within the system and not take advantage of others are reasonable expectations.

MP

DieselDixon
06-08-2003, 15:58
Hey GSXRTurbo1,

Wanted to ask you about the turbo you have on your GSXR and how you like it. Can you contact me off-line at mark@offroadtoys.com I have a 89' I was thinking about putting a turbo on.

Thanks
Mark

GSXRTURBO1
06-08-2003, 18:01
This is what I sent in case anyone else is interested....:

The 86 GSXR is a draw through type system (the carb is mounted at the compressor inlet). The plenum is small, so there is no "in between", otherwise known as midrange power. You are either making virtually no power, or all the power comes on at once - lightswitch powerband. 250 HP on a motorcycle is fun, but the way the power is delivered makes it stressful. Since I bought my Hayabusa I haven't ridden the turbo bike. Also, the bike is at 68" with a chromemoly swingarm, and sits very low, so it's pretty much only good for dragracing.

Now, a blow through type system is a whole different ballgame. Stock power and manners until the turbo spools up, then lookout! Power is delivered much more linear, so it's much more enjoyable.

K1XV
06-08-2003, 18:45
I can tell you about what makes a bad service dept....My selling service dealer in NJ sent me a coupon for a 2 month "free inspection" on my 03. I called the service manager and told him about my experiencing the 4WD service light and pushbutton lights gone wild problem. He denied ever hearing about it (even though it was all over DieselPage, usenet, and other websites) and told me he had no service appointment openings for weeks.

My Vermont service dealer installed a new encoder motor at 5000 miles, but before the TSB came out. All seems OK at 10K miles, but keeping my fingers crossed.

I will periodically travel hundreds of miles for good service. I have a 12 year old Infiniti car, and when heavy duty service is needed, I go to a private shop in Atlanta.

So don't be surprised if I show up someday in Grand Rapids. ;) ;)

Hound
06-08-2003, 20:19
dmaxalliTech, Not to be cheesin' ya as we have never spoke, e-mailed or anything other than to pass on this board, but if the dealerships around here had Techs with your idealisim, I'd be happy to give them my business. I don't mind paying a little more for items from some folks like JK for example, he has some HIGH business ethics and goes out of his way to help folks here on the DP and both your and his knowledge don't usually come for free like you find on here. You've got some great responses from others so far. Just keep taking and showing your pride in your work and you'll never go wrong.

[ 06-08-2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Hound ]

Silver Bullet
06-08-2003, 21:14
It is one thing to have a knowledgeable tech behind the scenes, but I think a good service consultant in invaluable. I found a service consultant that I liked b/c he was honest, treated and talked me like I knew as much about the problems/solutions as he did and he wasn't an a$$hole! He treated me well and I treated him well when it came time for the service survey. He has recently moved on to a different job, and I don't know if that dealership will keep my business.

FisHn2DMax
06-09-2003, 00:41
I agree with what most everyone else has already posted, but my major pet peeve Is Service hours! Most of us work during normal business hours and it's really hard to take a vehicle into the dealership during normal business hours. When I drop-off or pick-up vehicles for service after or before normal business hours, it's impossible to find anyone that knows $hit about anything!!! All the techs/mechanics work the same 7AM-4PM hours. If you try and call them during normal business hours, you just get put on hold or tossed around and back to the front receptionist after 10-15 minutes of waiting. It would be really nice if the actual Techs/Mechanics service hours where offset around the normal working persons 8-5 routine, so we could drop off or pick up vehicles and have some form intelligent conversation on Service related issues with the Techs and Service writer. I would drive 100 miles for a good service department that had flex service hours, including Saturdays and allowed me to talk with both the Tech and service writer together.

I find most service writers don't have a Clue! They rarely describe the customer stated problems correctly to the Techs. That's why I always insist on talking with both the Service writer and the tech doing the work to make sure there is no misunderstandings before working on the vehicle.

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
06-09-2003, 03:55
Everything all of you have mentioned, I have found with working with dmaxalliTech in Grand Rapids. My local dealers are a PITA and were no help at all. I will continue to drive the 2+ hours for this kind of service and will even concider my next vehicle purchase from that dealer as well.

Great job Eric!! :D

Mike

truck_n
06-09-2003, 08:13
dmaxalliTech,
They are changing 1,3,2,& 8. the fuel leakage test showed these to be the problem. They were going to start on the leakage test last tuesday afternoon. I called Wed. afternoon and they hadn't yet started. I visited them Thu. morning and they had just finished the test, I visited Friday morning and everything was pretty much apart, I have heard nothing since. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow for a "4 or 5 day job", and I have not received a single call from anyone at the dealership. I am working with the Service manager and a Writer. Any comments on Service, Response and Honesty?

SparkyTX
06-09-2003, 10:08
You have had a GREAT deal of helpful comments posted so far and sounds like you are well on your way to excellence. I would like to add one thing that has been hit around, but I wanted to state it explicitly.

COMMUNICATION

This really applies to ANY service industry (I am a conultant and it applies to IT as well). If something is stumping you and its gonna take a little longer, okay. Just tell me. If the schedule is delayed due to somethign else, just tell me. If there is a problem getting GM to do something, tell me.

The key is keep me informed. I just want to know what is going on. I don't like silence. Take that extra effort and you can charge me extra $$. I have never minded paying a little more for better service. In the long run, that is the best investment for me.

So, recommend any dealers in the Dallas area for me to work with?!?

K1XV
06-10-2003, 08:43
A question on service and warranty work. I have a GMC. Is it true that a Chevy dealer cannot do warranty work on my truck? That's what one told me. Of course, they will do scheduled maintenance for which I pay.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-10-2003, 13:06
Originally posted by K1XV:
A question on service and warranty work. I have a GMC. Is it true that a Chevy dealer cannot do warranty work on my truck? That's what one told me. Of course, they will do scheduled maintenance for which I pay. Yup, no service for a brand they don't sell.

Anyway, I bought at a very small, old dealership in a town close to mine. Helps to have a good relationship with the service dept. They do pay attention to you if they see you every 3K-5K miles for LOF. I have my dealer do ALL of my service work.

I never have to wait more than a day or two if I need something. I pay a very, very fair price for my LOF's and get ALL UPDATES FREE. Not even having to ask.

Steering bearing, no problem. Door lock inside loose, replaced. Heck they even pick up and deliver back to me when I am working close
by :eek: :eek: .

In all it's totally up to the Manager of the Dept. and of coarse his Tech's, especially when the one working on my truck is a scout leader in my son's troop ;) .

Good Luck, they are out there just find them.

GMC :D

dmaxalliTech
06-10-2003, 14:26
k1xv, GM has allowed some dealers to do crossline warr work. Especially if they sold it used, say we sell gmc and pontiac, If will sell chevy, we can warr. same with all other lines except saturn. Our dealer is allowed to warrenty everything gm we sell, other then Saturn. Service hours are kind of out of my control but I understand. We are open from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm monday and till 6 rest of week, sat 8 to 1. This seems to work ok.

[ 06-28-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: dmaxalliTech ]

chuntag95
06-10-2003, 15:26
I agree with the no "car guys" statement. One ot the diesel mechs is really wet behind the ears. He was asking me why about extra filteration and what power mods were on the market. Scary!
I have a good relationship with my service advisor team (2 in a box so to speak), but they are both good friends with my wife's employee and that is how we found them. You know the "This is my Boss' truck" kind of thing. They are honest when they don't know as they have very little Dmax experience. They listen when I bring info from here or other sources. They know I am retentive, do my homework and can save them time usually. I can always talk to one of the 2 diesel techs and see the parts that were removed (engineer thing I think). The only thing I have paid for is the high idle reprogram and some parts. 1 hr labor and I gave them the instructions on how to do it. They had some problems as it was the first time they had done that procedure.
I do all of my own maint. since I had a tranny die due to having it serviced. When I can print out my spreadsheet of date, mileage, hours and items done, they believe me.
They did try and give me a truck loaner once, but it was a furd and the check engine light came on when I pulled out of the lot. :rolleyes:
I guess when it all comes down to it, I want them to be honest. I have had to wait an extra day for a special tool to get shipped it so they didn't force it and break something, fine. I had to wait a day for GM to get back to them cause they were stumped, okay. Everytime I got a call saying we hit a snag or there is a delay because... I don't like to have to get cross to get something done correctly. I want a fair price, but will pay a little extra for great service. It seems that the great service is always at a fair price. smile.gif
I would love to have a tech to talk to and come over and install mods, but what is really important is my truck is fixed when it won't run.

a bear
06-10-2003, 19:12
dmaxalliTech,
A crew of Techs. honest, knowledgable and motivated like yourself. They should be required to be a DP member. :D

battmain
06-15-2003, 10:49
am curious on what you all think it takes to make a good service dept. One that you would go back to over and over or drive great distances to have them repair you truckBeing a person that has taken apart every mechanical or electrical device in my house and put them back together, for me, it is a service department that actually *identifies* the problem(s) and fixes them. It is especially annoying to have to take the truck back 7 times to fix a problem, where you know it takes 5 mins to fix. (like my winsheild wiper.) I had a warranty and was using it! I really could care less who works on the truck as long as...they identify the problem! (Wait...I said that already.) See the trend? That is the first step in fixing anything. If I make an appointment, I make the appointment because I don't have time to sit and watch the truck parked for three hours before it is moved to be worked on. If there is a grinding noise and it wasn't there before, don't try to tell me it is normal after you replaced the driveshaft. There are other stories that will make this thread too long, but suffice it say not all owners out there have blinders on and actually have some mechanical knowledge in comparison to other owners that the service writers can baffle with the BS.

FirstDiesel
06-18-2003, 17:54
Since I just got back from the dealer I thought I'd add what doesn't make a good service department.

Having someone make an appoinment and knowing what the job is going to be, checking that you have the parts, but not bothering to check for anything but the seal. They had the seal for the rear axle but didn't have brake pads??? So I had to leave it an extra day.

Then they don't bother cleaning the inside of the wheel to remove the grease.

This is not a good service department!!!

kraemerf
06-25-2003, 12:12
Cool! You're only about 2 hrs away from me.

chuntag95
06-25-2003, 12:42
Bummer. That's 17 hours from me. :eek:

MadDuraMax
06-25-2003, 14:20
dmaxalliTech,

Better late than never on this one neighbor, been busy, traveling and off line.

Guess my list is similar to most here, above all be honest. If the service department does'nt know just say so. Appointments on time, fix it etc.

One thing I didn't see or missed is some extended hours one or two days a week and/or a Saturday morning. We all have to work for a living and trying to get across town after work to beat the closing bell s*cks.

I bought from the "other" guy in town, so far good luck. Really was a matter of stock on hand at the time.

I appreciate your input on the BB and maybe us Michigan folks will need to get together and out do Mackin and that CT crew!

Mark

dmaxalliTech
06-25-2003, 14:28
MADMAX, you bought your truck from a 'good' dealer in town? August planning a diesel day, did one in may, good turn out, will do weekend day this time for convinience. I trust your bring your truck to a 'great' dealer next time??lol

late night is monday till 8 and sar till 1 for working folks

MadDuraMax
06-25-2003, 14:45
dmaxalliTech,

Yeah, "Good" thing they had it on the lot :D Diesel day in August sounds alright. Should be done traveling for a couple of months (just love work)just have to catch up around here.

Like most I'm doing most of the work myself, just a couple minor things I've had them work on so far. Nice to know there's a "great" dealer in town though!

Mark

DanB
06-27-2003, 10:42
Hi,

There is so much good information on these pages that it's sometimes difficult to find the right spot! I was wondering if there was a list of mechanics that people liked and would recommend somewhere? It seems that way, individuals who experience problems at least have the option of bringing their truck to a "Recommended Service Provider."

Thanks!
Dan.

dmaxalliTech
06-27-2003, 10:45
DAN, what part of the country are you in? I have read lots of reports of people haveing good expierence at their dealer, Its best to be knowledgable ahead of time. I think there is a recommended dealer list on the site somewhere, I think its in members area. I did see it one day.

DanB
06-27-2003, 17:41
Thanks Tech.

Perhaps the members area is where I remember seeing it, I just haven't gotten around to subscribing this year. Now, appears to be a good time! :)

DanB
06-28-2003, 11:14
Hi!

I think I got my email and profile all set up correctly for now and I hope the answer to your location question now appears in my profile.

One of the topics from a long time ago is the diesel supplements, and I still have not recieved mine! I called the distributor I purchased the vehicle from several times and included this fact in a letter written directly to Chevrolet customer support. How did everyone else get their supplements? * Note: Those lucky enough to have then in the dash when they picked up their vehicle ... need not reply :) *

Thanks!
Dan.

More Power
06-28-2003, 11:37
Member Recommended Dealers & Diesel Garages (http://www.thedieselpage.com/dealers.htm)

dmaxalliTech
06-28-2003, 20:25
Thanks MorePower. I knew it was here somewhere :D

dmaxalliTech
07-07-2003, 17:58
Hey all, check out this link....
Grand Rapids Dmax day (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000088)

Lets get togather in Sep...

MaxedOut
07-07-2003, 21:26
How about a service department that doesn't throw out the magnet with the allison spin on filter. :eek: Ya, that's the suprise I got changing the spin on filter tonight. Last fall I took the truck in for a transmission service. Even told the service writter to be sure to let the tech know about the magnet. To think I paid the extra money and brought it to the dealer because I assumed if anyone would do it right, they would. :mad:

A good service department is one you can trust to do the job right...the first time.