PDA

View Full Version : no throttle response

rapidoxidationman
11-06-2005, 20:19
Coasting down Teton Pass last week, nothing new just 3 miles of engine braking without touching the accelerator. The truck didn't go when I asked it to at the bottom of the pass. It didn't stall, it just didn't want to go above idle. On the side of the road in neutral I could hold the accelerator to the floor and the engine would surge every couple of seconds up to about 2000rpm. Shut the truck off, restarted, runs without a hitch. The guys at NAPA pointed me towards a crankshaft position sensor ($70) or the accelerator pedal position sensor ($450). The guys at the Chevy dealer gave me a glazed look (too many donuts?) Any suggestions?

rjschoolcraft
11-07-2005, 03:51
It sounds like the NAPA guys gave good advice. Any codes?

markrinker
11-09-2005, 04:41
My '94 did the same thing under similar coasting circumstances while towing. Never did figure out the culprit, I am sure it could be duplicated.

My accelerator pedal assembly has been replaced with an OEM unit - but was before the 'no reponse' incident.

My theory is that ground speed, gear selection and RPM fall out of range under these circumstances, and the ECM has a problem.

tom.mcinerney
11-09-2005, 09:56
I vote for Mr Rinker's explanation ... save money until a restart doesn't fix! Rebooting digital stuff = endless tuning for analog.

landrea
11-09-2005, 20:09
Don't know if this helps but once when I was in a VERY big hurry :D and standing on the pedal I reached red line and the thing went to idle,so much for the hurry :mad: ,I had to coast over to the shoulder and do a restart and then pull out and continue. :confused: Now I try to not red line and not be in such a hurry.

rapidoxidationman
11-14-2005, 20:20
The truck has been running great since that incident, although throughout the time I've owned it (65K to 185K presently) it has sometimes stalled after a long coast downhill, even after replacing the FSD @ 160K. Nothing a nudge with the clutch wouldn't overcome. I think I may wait 'til it is really broken to fix it. Hopefully it won't be in the middle of a need for speed...
Rapid