PDA

View Full Version : Duramax filter recall....

boots
08-18-2005, 03:34
Just wanted to let ya know that if it's time to replace the fuel filter, GM has a recall ...so go get one ..if ya have the time...Boots

OC_DMAX
08-18-2005, 03:57
Looks like they finally determined the original OEM fuel filter was costing them warranty repair dollars (injector replacement). Probably the most we will ever get as far as an admission by GM that the original OEM filter is sub-par in filtration performance. Of course, those that took fuel samples several years ago already knew that.

Also makes me ask "What if you go into the dealership with an old style fuel filter and need injector warranty repair; will they deny the warranty obligation?"

Onebigcanuck
08-18-2005, 09:49
Have you got a recall number ???

:confused:

Onebigcanuck
08-18-2005, 11:09
Just checked with my Dealer, GM is mailing out 2 recalls, the first to owners of 01 & 02, than the second to 03 & 04. It's a 5 pager with the bottom line being after 24k you could have a problem.

madmatt
08-18-2005, 17:44
campaign #05546

JohnnyR
08-19-2005, 09:22
So what filter are we supposed to be using now? Is it the one with dual-media? I have several of the single media Racors that I ordered when I had my '03 Duramax.

I purchased an '05 Duramax about a month ago. Did the 05's come with a different filter?

Jim Cobler
08-19-2005, 11:05
Can any of you more technical people advise us on what to do with the spares we have? I personally would never head out of town without a spare filter. Should I dispose of the old style or use them?

Any specs. available for the new filter? Is it a proprietary GM filter or a standard one we can buy anywhere?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kennedy
08-19-2005, 11:30
I received my letter today. Never worried with secondary filtration (Mega) to catch what the OE missed. One thing to remember with the dual media units is that they will restrict more quickly making one of these more useful:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Dmax-fuel-filter-rest.gif

Spartus
08-21-2005, 15:15
So what's the verdict? I purchased a CASE of the single media filters last November, and still have three left....

EBAY?????????????????

ZL-1
08-22-2005, 09:52
Hello Received my recall this Monday, so I called the dealer parts to see if they have new fuel filters, was told by a person in the parts that they do not have a new filter, they just moved the recommended maint. milage to change it at 15,000 instead of what it recomm. in the book. Is this person wrong? If there is a new filter, does someone have the new GM part number. Also, he did ask me if I received a letter in the mail, so he does know of the recall. Dealer in No. Kentucky. J... W.... Pontiac-GMC. Thanks

Troy
08-22-2005, 11:49
I had my truck into the dealer for service and they told me about the filter recall. They said that the filter was the same that GM just wanted to emphize the importance of changing the filter every 15,000 miles. Has anyone received a different story?

letsgo
08-22-2005, 15:11
The new filter number is 97385488 it has a duel element inside the canister and a painted black ring on the out side of the canister.

the old filter number is 89016324

as noted " failure to replace the filter as scheduled" could screw every thing up.

good luck

DmaxMaverick
08-22-2005, 15:44
ZL-1 and Troy....

Your dealers are full of something!

The filters are new(er). As Letsgo stated, the new filter is a dual element and the old was just single.

GM is issuing the recall to ensure there are no single element filters still being used on these trucks. These idiot dealers are not helping matters any by insisting the filters are the same. Like some said above, they might continue using the old singles after the new GM installed dual expires if they have a supply of old filters. Everyone needs to know the filter design has changed. This campaign is NOT about a courtesy from GM to ensure the filters get changed at specific mileage, although the campaign may encourage those that didn't even know they had a filter, to change it once in a while.

I got my notice on Saturday. My truck is an '01, built in October of 2000. My Diesel supplement that came with the truck recommended a 15K change interval, same as the 2006's and every one in between. All GM is doing for me is saving me some $$. I've been using the new filters nearly since they were released. I'd rather do the change myself, so I'll see if my dealer will just give me a new filter. Better yet, maybe I can talk them into sending me the $60 they list for. Yeah....Right.

The notice allows until September 2006 to get the change done, so don't run in there if you have a new dual element filter already installed. Wait until it's time for the change, then let them do it.

JK
What are your gauges showing? New/old filter, with or w/o a pump?

Paintdude
08-22-2005, 16:01
Got my new filter today. The part number is as stated above...No hassles....

Kennedy
08-23-2005, 07:01
Originally posted by DmaxMaverick:
JK
What are your gauges showing? New/old filter, with or w/o a pump? The vacuum reading is restriction in the filter. The psi reading is with lift pump supply pressure applied. The restriction test is the way to tell what condition the filter(s) are in and is particularly handy to diagnose performance issues and gauge filter change intervals which often times should be prior to 15k.

I recently had to change my LLY after 3k of service (after MT trip) and after minimal (around 1k?) miles it is restricting again. It is at 6"hg+ vs 2.5"hg or so with new filter. :mad:

DmaxMaverick
08-23-2005, 08:18
Thanks, John.

I understand that. What I wanted to know is, which filter (new/old), with or w/o a secondary, and what condition or miles on the filter, Idle or specific RPM/load? Is it a before/after, or pump on/off?

Kennedy
08-23-2005, 08:50
That's my 2002 so it should be with an OE single pleat and Mega. The two different readings are with my lift pumps off and on. Filters are in good shape at this point by looking at the readings. Engine would be at idle.

Heartbeat Hauler
08-23-2005, 09:55
So does this mean that you may encounter some fuel supply problems if you install the new dual-element filter with a secondary kit already in place? (No lift pump)
JP

Kennedy
08-23-2005, 10:04
If you have dirty fuel it is a good possibility, but only time will tell. I've seen the single pleat go 12-15k with little or no detectable increase in restriction.

Heartbeat Hauler
08-23-2005, 13:55
Hmmm, not what I wanted to hear. Maybe there won't be an issue as my OEM is downstream of the Racor Kit.
JP

LanduytG
08-23-2005, 16:33
John
The bio will clean things up as well. Although its new and really should not be and issue.

Greg

dersark
08-23-2005, 19:40
I bought some of the new filters from global filtration technology down in San Diego made by Racor- Parker. It says high efficency dual pleat on it. Part # PFF5544. Is this the same new filter that GM came up with, or I should get the new one from GM.

LanduytG
08-23-2005, 19:59
I bought some of the new filters from global filtration technology down in San Diego made by Racor- Parker. It says high efficency dual pleat on it. Part # PFF5544. Is this the same new filter that GM came up with, or I should get the new one from GM. Yes its the same, it just does not have the GM part number on it.

Greg

JohnnyR
08-24-2005, 04:25
I checked my '05 Duramax yesterday, and it came with the new filter. Think I'll carry the 2 old ones I still have as spares for emergency use only.

DmaxMaverick
08-24-2005, 06:13
Originally posted by Johnny R:
I checked my '05 Duramax yesterday, and it came with the new filter. Think I'll carry the 2 old ones I still have as spares for emergency use only. Although this would be acceptable for "emergency use only", I would not recommend it if you have no secondary filtration. I carry the old filters in my truck for emergency situations, but I also have a Mega filter, post OEM. An on-the-road emergency would be a tank of bad fuel, and several short interval changes would be in order. The older filters would be good for this, but I wouldn't if I didn't have a secondary filter.

CALIMAX
08-24-2005, 06:41
I thought there was even a newer filter (longer) or is the dual plete the longer filter? I purchased the newer part# from napa and they are the same size as the old filter.

Kennedy
08-24-2005, 08:30
I should clarify that my early restriction is likely due to a bad tank of fuel and not so much the new filter...

Greg Watkins
08-24-2005, 10:33
I have changed my fuel filter every 10k miles. I am using WIX filters instead of AC Delco. I have no problems that I am aware of. Is there a way to tell if the injectors are damaged? (BTW I have 56k miles on the truck. It is a 2002 4x4 CC longbed)

Thanks,

greg

DmaxMad
08-24-2005, 11:10
Do these new filters have the same micron specs? If they do then (I have been to they do) it seems it just may need changing less often????

txguppy
08-25-2005, 16:55
Dmax Maverick, "I'd rather do the change myself, so I'll see if my dealer will just give me a new filter. Better yet, maybe I can talk them into sending me the $60 they list for. Yeah....Right."

Yea and while you're wishing, ask for the labor amount too.
:D

DmaxMaverick
08-25-2005, 17:25
Originally posted by txguppy:
Dmax Maverick, "I'd rather do the change myself, so I'll see if my dealer will just give me a new filter. Better yet, maybe I can talk them into sending me the $60 they list for. Yeah....Right."

Yea and while you're wishing, ask for the labor amount too.
:D OK. If they're still listening, I'll ask.
Ridiculous how they will charge for an hour of labor for what takes me less than 10 minutes to do.

Kennedy
08-25-2005, 17:39
Originally posted by Greg Watkins:
I have changed my fuel filter every 10k miles. I am using WIX filters instead of AC Delco. I have no problems that I am aware of. Is there a way to tell if the injectors are damaged? (BTW I have 56k miles on the truck. It is a 2002 4x4 CC longbed)

Thanks,

greg The only difference between Wix, AC and the rest is the ink on the can. Now whetheryou are running the dual pleat or not I have no idea. All of the Baldwin inked units that I sell are the dual media.

The dual layer media is said to be 2 layers of the same media as the single unit. It will capture more dirt per pass and will likely plug sooner.

Turbo Al
08-26-2005, 11:51
Got mine done today a rather painful 1-hr+ wait For a 5 min job and they left diesel fuel all over everything -- even the top of the filter housing was full of diesel -- nice job guys I won't be back. Come on what's a rag worth these days??

SHOPMAN426
08-26-2005, 14:09
Turbo Al, you just gave me a great idea! This coming Monday I'm going in for my free filter too. I'm not sure if all service dealers do this but the service dealer I go to walks around your vehicle and denotes any dents or scratches. I think I will tell him I will be looking under the hood to denote any messes or spills. That should get his underwear in a bunch. Thanks Al, timing is everything.

Shopman426,
Mike. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Turbo Al
08-27-2005, 07:27
Shopman,
Always glad to help a fellow member :D

The thing of it is I KNEW they were going to make a mess of it before I even took it in I just needed to confirm it. I have done it three times and sure the first time I kinda blew it but with the freezer bag method I don't spill any and use a rag for the top. GUESS it was the first time for them. tongue.gif

The service guy told me that because it was on warrenty GM would send me a satifaction questionair -- gee wonder what I am going to write down on that one :eek:
Al

radrecon69
08-27-2005, 08:12
I bought my DMAX used Will they send me a letter (I doubt it), or do I just go to the dealer ask about it?

Rick

SHOPMAN426
08-27-2005, 09:32
That is a good question, I have a friend that bought his '01 used. I would think he would also be covered. I should point out that he bought if from a dealership. I guess he should go see that dealer.

Shopman426,
Mike :cool:

Turbo Al
08-27-2005, 19:26
Unfortunately the shop kept my letter but it did have a small blurb about whoever was doing your reg service would probably contact you. I do all my own service so I had better get crackin :rolleyes:

BTW when I dropped by for the appointment the letter was "new" to them and they wanted me just to bring it back in at my next oil change -- I almost burst out laughing and told them that the last 4 times I had my truck in under warrenty they never fixed one thing and I ended up doing it ALL myself -- so NO you are not going to be changing my oil.
Al

SHOPMAN426
08-29-2005, 14:09
Turbo Al,

Hey Al, I guess they pulled out all the stops when they changed my fuel filter today. They must have busted out the red rags for me. Not one drop of diesel anywhere. But they did leave there greasy finger prints on the new filter canister, must of gone over the rag alotment. :D
Then he left his shoes size markings on my floor mat and sill. I guess I get to clean that up. :mad:

I had my last Racor fuel filter in the back, the mechanic noticed it and warned me not to use it because it wasn't a GM filter. I didn't say one word, just smiled and noded.

Shopman426,
Mike. tongue.gif

[ 08-29-2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: SHOPMAN426 ]

Turbo Al
08-30-2005, 07:17
Shopman426,
Yea it was in the news last night "Shortage of Red rags in Canada" ;) They must of thought a bomb had gone off in my truck I have ALMOST been living in there for the past 3 months working 10 hours a day 6 to 7 days a week -- only to be laid off on thur :confused:
I have two or three old style filters that will be put back on when it is time to change it and guess I had better get (or keep used one) a new style in case something goes wrong with the injectors so I can do a transplant :D

GM can't do anything about you NOT changing your filter -- don't believe me go to the filter change in your manual then look up what it says under the little ! thingy tongue.gif Not that I would ever NOT change a filter but that is certainly be an OUT for anyone accused of not doing it.
Al

Jim Brzozowski
08-30-2005, 08:29
Greg, in your post to John, you mentioned that the Bio would help clean that up. Got me curious!
Are you suggesting that Bio diesel will actually help clean up the fuel system, or am I just looking for something thats not there?
By the way sure want to thank all you guys for conviencing me early on to put a secondary filter on. Keep smiling.

radrecon69
08-30-2005, 10:34
Went to the GMC dealer yesterday and got mine done, there was no problem other than the service rep hadn't heard of the recall, but after he found it they pulled it in and put the new one on. WIth the Mechanic it was a 45 minute job (but suspect that was his first one). The part number from GMC is TP 1298, there wasn't a black ring or anything I could see. The Service Rep hooked me up with the GMCLynk so that I get my recall notices now by email.

Rick

sycamore
08-31-2005, 08:58
I was under the impression that all the Duramax fuel filters (single and dual media) were manufactured by Racor and then rebranded to each filter manuufacturer. Is this still true ? :eek:

oyazi
08-31-2005, 12:46
. . . . . .BTW when I dropped by for the appointment the letter was "new" to them and they wanted me just to bring it back in at my next oil change -- I almost burst out laughing and told them that the last 4 times I had my truck in under warrenty they never fixed one thing and I ended up doing it ALL myself -- so NO you are not going to be changing my oil.
Al [/QB]Good dig ;) The way to go :D Priceless :cool: