PDA

View Full Version : Lifter noise?

mhagie
11-06-2005, 18:43
On my Avant reman I have noticed a little click click tap tap noise.
It goes away completly when at operating temp so am wondering if its not a lifter.
Whats the chance of it going away with time? I don't really want to tear this thing down very bad as it looks to be a PITA.
engine only has about a thousand miles on it.
Thoughts?
Thanks, Merle

More Power
11-07-2005, 08:25
It can be difficult to distinguish an abnormal engine sound from a variation of normal diesel combustion rattle.

However, one of my 6.2's experienced a collapsed lifter back in the 90's. It would tick noticeably well at about 2000-3000 rpm, and was heard from inside the cab while driving. It was more noticeable when warm.

You may have a lifter that bleeds down when shut off and has difficulty pumping up till the engine is warmer and the oil is thinner. But, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion till you're certain your engine has a lifter (excessive valve lash) problem.

You could try running synthetic oil to see if a lifter problem is affected by different oil.

Last resort would be to pull the most likely valve cover to check for excessive valve lash on one of the rocker assys. These lifters can be changed without pulling the heads (though you'll need patience and a parts picker).

Jim