PDA

View Full Version : Twin turbo project on Extreme4X4 TV.

DieselYJ
08-15-2005, 06:34
In case you guys are interested, they are building a Hummer on Extreme4x4 TV (spike channel saturday and sunday afternoons).
They are installing a duramax. This past week they had Gale Banks on there with his cheif design engineer designing a twin turbo setup for their engine.
He said he is hoping for 750hp and 1000 ftlbs. He also said that the kit would be available to the public once they have this engine finished.
In the next few weeks they will be dynoing the engine.
Pretty interesting stuff on there.

Jim Brzozowski
08-15-2005, 08:17
I think Gale Banks has visions of competing in the World Sports Car Endurance races like the 12 hours of Seabring or the 24 hours at Daytona with a Dmax truck. You know thats gonna be big big bucks type of modifications, but Yes interesting.

Andy Chesek
08-15-2005, 10:37
I caught the show as well. Putting a Hummer body on an '85 K20 Suburban rolling chassis. The intercooler they showed was freakin' enormous, then Gale said it would be cut in two so each turbo would have its own dedicated intercooler.

The Big Hoss intake manifolds were neat looking. Didn't look like they would fit under a 2500HD/3500 truck hood, at least to me.

750 HP sounds cool, but I hope 1,000 lb-ft is low-balling it. Makes me wonder how many people can make 1,000 lb-ft with their pickup on #2 only... Duramax, Cummins, Powerstroke, whatever.

Craig M
08-15-2005, 10:38
I missed the show this weekend, but did see it last weekend (8/6, 8/7). They discussed the twin turbo Duramax and upgraded Allison. They had a shop buildup the Allison for the expected increase in torque. Nice to have money to do neat stuff.

markrinker
08-15-2005, 14:04
Can't wait to see both of those turbos spinning. Cool looking setup, but makes you wonder why they aren't 'king of the hill' on their stock Duramax box.

R&D and hype is great, but I'd prefer an affordable plug and play solution from Gale Banks for my LLY in the $500 price range.