PDA

View Full Version : Water pump change

Showgood1
08-14-2005, 20:37
Is there anything special I need to know about changeing a water pump on a '01 D-Max? I did a search on this and someone said you had to remove the harmonic balencer....then someone said you didn't. The truck has 124K. I've got air tools and a harmonic balencer puller if needed but I rather not pull the balencer if I can get out of it.

More Power
08-16-2005, 10:23
The procedure in the 2001 GM Service manual (pg 6-1027) doesn't mention a need to first remove the damper, but the drawing accompanying the instructions don't show the damper in place.

My recollection is that the damper needs to come off to remove one of the bolts.

You'll need a new water pump seal and coolant pipe gasket when fitting the new pump.

Why do you need to remove the water pump?

Jim

madmatt
08-16-2005, 18:02
does this help????????

Remove the left front fender wheelhouse inner panel (1).
Drain the engine coolant and the engine block. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .
Remove the thermostat housing crossover. Refer to Thermostat Housing Crossover Replacement .
Remove the fan clutch. Refer to Fan Clutch Replacement .
Remove the crankshaft balancer. Refer to Crankshaft Balancer Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 6.6 L.

Remove the water pump outlet pipe to water pump nuts.
Remove the engine wiring harness retainer from the inner stud.

Remove the water pump bolts. Note the location of the bolts. The bolts are three different lengths.
Remove the water pump assembly.
Remove the water pump outlet pipe gasket.

Showgood1
08-16-2005, 19:18
Well he had coolant driping down around the left front edge of the block (and being caught by the fan and blown all over everywhere). I wiped clean everything I could. Took off the plastic shield in the very front to get a better look and on the drivers side I could see the weep hole. While laying under the truck I had him start it at soon at it caught coolant burped out of the hole. There's one leak anyway what else should I look for.

CHVYMAN#9
08-17-2005, 20:16
YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THE BALANCER AND IT IS VERY, VERY TIGHT(THE BOLT THAT IS). THIS ALSO REQUIRES THE FLYWHEEL HOLDING TOOL THAT GOES IN PLACE OF THE STARTER. I BELIEVE THE BOLT IS LIKE A 36-37 MM 12 POINT AND IS TORQUED IN THE 250 FT.LB. RANGE(IT TOOK ME AND 3/4 INCH. BREAKER BAR AND 4 FOOT PIPE TO GET IT LOOSE)AND YES IT HAS TO COME OFF TO GET TO ONE OF THE BOLTS AND NO YOU WON'T NEED YOUR PULLER TO PULL IT OFF). YOU MAY WANT TO LET YOUR DEALER DO IT SINCE THE FLYWHEEL HOLDER IS IN HIS 6.6 ENGINE REPAIR BOX.

Showgood1
08-18-2005, 18:38
I've seen flywheel holders before is the one for the D-max special? Also what is the best way to get the fan clutch off? I put a pump on the '99 'burb with the new style fan clutch and almost didn't get the thing off.

Showgood1
08-20-2005, 19:21
Well he got her changed (I did more supervising on this project not a bad place to be;)). What a pain in the butt!!!He got the balencer bolt out with a impact on about 150psi!!!But it did slide right off just like everyone said it would. The rest was fairly easy.