PDA

View Full Version : Question about fuel filter and tranny service?

Dannyboy
08-11-2005, 05:25
I booked a appointment yesterday for my truck to have a LOF today. My truck has 8,300 miles on it and i asked about a tranny service and a new fuel filter. The service manager told me that I don't need a tranny service or a new fuel filter until 30,000 miles. 30,000 miles on the orginal fuel filter seems high compared to what i have read here. But they are going to change the external filter on the tranny today.

Whats your opinion on the tranny and fuel filter?

Heartbeat Hauler
08-11-2005, 05:49
Originally posted by Dannyboy:

Whats your opinion on the tranny and fuel filter? Oh Dannyboy, the pipes the pipes are callin'.
From glen to glen.....sorry couldn't resist :D

Well, I don't know about the newer models, but I replaced all of my fluids and filters after break-in at about 1500 miles on my '01. However, at 8000+ miles my tranny refused to shift into gear and threw a code. After sitting awhile it finally did go into gear and I took it to the dealer. Tech said it was a plugged tranny filter (the code) and that I should, as per the manual, have changed it at 5000 miles. In your case, at 8000 miles, if you haven't already, I would change everything front to rear (engine oil, tranny fluid, rear diff, and filters)and then get on the schedule as prescribed by the manual. Also, I would change the fuel filter every 10,000 miles. I got a little grief from the service writer about changing fluids so soon, and he did it in front of the tech. I basically looked him in the eye and said, "change it" and he did. I did this based on info I recieved here on this forum as I put way more trust in these guys' opinion who actually have an interest in my rig as opposed to somebody not so interested. My $.02 worth.

madmatt
08-11-2005, 18:59
GM recommends a spin on tranny filter change at the first oil change w/ tranny services ( drain and refill and R&R the external filter only) at 25k for severe use vehicles or 50k for normal use. also the recommended fuel filter change interval is 15k. I recommend every 10k on the F/F change and the factory recommended tranny service seems to be doing fine.

jbplock
08-12-2005, 05:09
Danny,

Here's something in writing from GM that backs up the above recomendations..

GMTechLink: Allison Transmission Filter (http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/jun05/TLjun05e.html#story15)

smile.gif

Dannyboy
08-15-2005, 03:58
Thanks everyone for the input

Kennedy
08-15-2005, 04:37
GM says 15k on fuel filter which is in many cases too long. I typically coincide my fuel filter change with oil change at 7-8k, sometimes 10k depending on vehicle use and measured restriction.

Granto
08-16-2005, 07:01
I just took my truck in for a regular service. GM has service bulletin dated Aug. 10 that says they have redesigned the fuel filter.

They are offering one free fuel filter change and then suggest a strict adherence to the fuel filter change at 15k mile intervals.

madmatt
08-16-2005, 18:15
it's campaign #05546.