PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump repalcement--HELP!

redneckcowdoctor
05-16-2002, 20:22
You guys were right on--idle surge was the pressure regulator on the fuel pump. The GM tech said it is a problem only with 01's. He was real impressed that I got an advance diagnosis via this site and he wants the URL!

Now: This will be the first D-max fuel pump replacement this dealer has done and I don't want them to take forever with the job simply because they don't have all the parts ready. Do any of you who've had it done have the invoice/complete parts list (gaskets etc) required for the new pump installation, and how long should it take? Looks like they have to rip the front end apart. I'm a large animal vet and I'm pretty much on duty 24/7 so not having my truck will be a problem. Throwing all my gear in my wifes Montana and driving cross country leaves both her and me in a bad mood.

Joe Duffiney
05-17-2002, 03:31
When mine was changed at 700 miles it took 1 day and it was finished . It really isn't as bad as it sounds as long as they do it right .

D-max Man
05-17-2002, 07:36
The front of the engine doesn't need to come apart. They don't even need to remove the coolant crossover to access the pump mounting bolts (But many dealers have done this).

To change the pump, they will need to remove the engine cover, air cleaner duct, coolant outlet pipe, turbo inlet pipe. Remove the mounting bolts from the A/C compressor and move compressor aside, remove hoses and electrical connectors from pump, remove the wiring harness from one side of the engine and move it aside, remove the fuel return line from the function block to the pass. side head. Next remove the 4 mounting bolts from the pump and slide it back out of the block, turn the pump 1/4 turn and remove it from the valley (lift the rear of the pump out first).

Reverse to install new pump.

Parts needed are:

Fuel pump O-ring seal (Should come with pump)
Water outlet O-ring seal
Turbo inlet pipe gasket
fuel return line gaskets (for head and function block).

MaxRock
05-17-2002, 09:36
D-Max Man, you are AWESOME!!!

redneckcowdoctor
05-17-2002, 20:36
Exactly what I needed to know. THANKS!