PDA

View Full Version : racing idle problem

redneckcowdoctor
05-15-2002, 04:38
First--thanks to everyone who makes this forum go. I'm a complete ignoramus on mechanical subjects and this forum has been a great source of information.

My truck is an 01 2500HD. She'll turn 45,000 (trouble free, ticking) miles old tomorrow. Only mods are a drilled airbox and amsoil air filter. I had the "shift business" upgrade early on.

About two weeks (2500 miles) ago I noticed the idle was no longer regular. It races mildly, almost as if I was very gently tapping the accelerator every few seconds. The change is just perceptible on the tach, and if I hold the brake very lightly I can feel the truck surge forward mildly, but the throttle race is very noticible audibly. It has gotten slowly worse despite fillups from different stations and a new fuel filter. Any ideas--she goes in to the dealer tomorrow AM?

Black Dog
05-15-2002, 09:16
Latest conventional wisdom says that you are developing a problem with the fuel pressure regulator which is part of the fuel pump.

Colorado Kid
05-15-2002, 12:52
See many post on topics such as "Idle Surge", "Idle Flare"...in fact if you just seached on "idle" and disregarded posts with "fast" and "lopey" you'll find a huge volume. Most of it was several months ago, so don't use too short a time in the search.