PDA

View Full Version : Yet another complaint

radrecon69
08-04-2005, 10:51
I changed my oil the other day and what BRAINIAC designed the oil filter that way. What a mess it is to get that filter off. Is there a an after market kit that you can buy that allows to put the oil filter up straight? That is 3 engine I have with that sideways design and I HATE ALL of them it just seem to me that you are not getting the full potential out of the filter. Do they make a 2 quart oil filter for it like the 6.5 or is the 1 quart all you are going to get? Thanks for letting me vent

Rick :cool:

madmatt
08-04-2005, 15:05
to avoid the mess I take a coolant jug, cut the top and bottom off, then take what I have left and split one side from top to bottom. I then wrap that around the driveshaft to keep the oil off of it. I also use the same rigging on the engine skid plate to keep oil out of it.

OC_DMAX
08-04-2005, 17:57
I just use a gallon plastic freezer bag. Loosen the filter slightly with wrench, put the plastic freezer bag around the filter and loosen some more. All the oil and filter go into the bag. Usually only spill a drop or two.

JD Diesel
08-04-2005, 19:23
Yeah how bout the BOOB that designs the exhaust cross over three inchs from the drain plug that shoots oil all over the place When you drain it. My duaghters 2001 HD gasser. JD :mad:

copperhead
08-05-2005, 03:38
I have never really thought it was that terrible. When I have remove the filter, my experience is that the oil hits the front shaft, runs around it and goes straight down. When I'm down, I just wipe it off. I have a funnel to keep it off the skid plate. Some have the fumoto valves or similar gadgets that I suspect alleviates the risk with the skid plate.

Kennedy
08-05-2005, 04:08
I've found that if you loosen it slightly and let it drain, it will miss the driveshaft in most cases also. I can drain my pan (Fumoto) and drain filter simultaneously into same pan...

6tvair
08-05-2005, 06:26
Aviod the mess. Four bolts and the skid plate comes off. I always remove the skid plate before changing the oil and filter.

copperhead
08-05-2005, 08:49
Yes, its my suburban where the front shaft gets wet, it misses on my 2500 as well.

William Lee Gingerich
08-05-2005, 09:55
I have the fumoto from Kennedy and the oil misses the skid plate easily.I would reccomend it!!!! As to the filter I take a sharp screwdriver or punch and poke a hole in the filter down on the bottem corner and let it drain out then I unscrew it. Its not perfect but it works for me.