PDA

View Full Version : Overheat ??? New 2005 D/A

ChevyEvy
08-04-2005, 08:18
Hi all,

New the forum, but it appears to be an excellent resource for D/A owners.

I just picked up my new 2005 K2500HD. I've been reading with concern the topic regarding overheating in the LLY engines. I haven't towed anything yet, and likely won't do any heavy towing until next year at this point. In the meantime, is there anyway to determine whether mine will be one of the few that tends to overheat under load?

So far, it's seen 30 C (approx. mid-80's F) ambient in city and highway traffic. Some moderate hills, but nothing too major. During this, engine temp indicated around 95 C (say, 205 F) and was pretty steady at that temp; never got over 100 C (212 F). Again, based on this, can I have any idea whether or not I'll have trouble with bigger loads, or is it just wait and see?

Everett

dakotakid
08-05-2005, 07:31
I don't think you will have any way of knowing. Mine is fine most of the time - including the towing. But when I do cross the line - it will keep on climbing unless I back WAY off and let it recover. I wonder how much the 2006 has improved in this area?? I love the truck, but don't like the heating issue at all...

Pat

William Lee Gingerich
08-05-2005, 09:59
I've towed mine at 97 degrees with approx 18 to 20k and not a bit of a problem.It was'nt mountain towing tho.

OC_DMAX
08-05-2005, 10:25
With regard to the 2006's, GM has completely redone the fan shroud and put a different tranny cooler on the truck. The tranny cooler is not mounted in the same location as the 2001-2005 models.

On another forum, there are individuals aggressively pursuing the LLY overheating issue.

markrinker
08-05-2005, 11:05
Must have gotten a good one. 1 week old, 3K miles on the odometer, and all of that in tow/haul with a variety of loads. Never seen more than 190 on the tranny temp, 205 on the water temp. Temps have been in the 80s-90s as well. Average fuel mileage to date 12.5mpg.

I am interested in what GM did with the new tranny cooler location. Wondering how only some of the trucks are affected, and others are not?

Mechanical differences or driving differences?

ChevyEvy
08-05-2005, 13:53
Thanks for the info, guys....it's the not knowing that's killing me now. Dammit, I traded in my old Chevy 'cause it was getting a few miles and I didn't want to have to worry about what was going to happen to it. Now I'm still in the same boat.

markrinker
08-05-2005, 14:39
Waaaay different boat in my opinion. Could you borrow a trailer, or 'test tow' a new boat or camper to see how your truck will do?

ChevyEvy
08-05-2005, 18:45
Mark,

I can try...I don't know anyone locally who has a trailer, but I'll see what I can do. Maybe even just rent a car hauler and tow my car around, but that'll only be maybe 5000 or 6000 lbs all told. Not a great test. Maybe add a load of gravel in the box :D

My other problem is finding a long, steep grade to pull around here. There is a good hill just 20 minutes from town that might be a good test if I can find a load to pull, but it's not very long; like, maybe a mile or so. And up here, I don't get the temperatures to contend with very often.

I was really hoping that people who have this problem notice more temp fluctuations under little or no load; something like that to give me a hint about what mine might do.

Everett

50+
08-06-2005, 05:05
I just got back from a week in Colorado. Pulled my 20' GN around with four horses (10,000lbs +)on some good grades 6%-7%. My 05 LLY never got above 205 engine temp, and 200 on trans temp. Temps were 70-80 degrees. Mileage ranged from 9.8 to 11.4 mpg. I was very impressed with the trucks ability to stay in 5th gear at 70 - 75 mph, on some long grades. Its 100% stock except for tire change to 265's. 3500 miles.