PDA

View Full Version : Steering rattle, Dmax Engineer ?'s

thechevyhdman
05-12-2002, 22:47
Ok my truck is going to the dealership for a few things but nothing major, just a few days ago someone stated that there was a new TSB for the dreaded steering wheel rattle, and that there was a new intermediate shaft that came out last week, 1 what is the bulletin number for this?. 2) I spoke of how I own a 2002 with the lopey idle and that updates did not fix this, A man whom worked for Dmax Ltd said to check the fuel pressure regulator which is connected to the injection pump. Could you state exactly what is not acceptable meaures for the fuel pressure regualtor like what would cause its replacement. Also how can I be guaranteed a rental car for my down time? Or another truck would be nice. My friend said they will be out of cars when it goes in but I know thats BS. Usually I threaten them by saying Ill drive my truck to the service department through the front showroom window but maybe I should approach them nicely. All I really want is a receipt saying problem found and fixed non of this cannot replicate customer problem. What approaches have you guys done to get things solved?

MudNurI
05-13-2002, 04:42
FYI the Courtesy Vehicle program is dealer to dealer- some use it some don't...and that's according to Chevrolet's website...I'm not too sure how you can be guaranteed a rental, unless the dealership has the program.

Our old dealership ONLY had courtesy vehicles for Cadi owners....

Brandy

D-max Man
05-13-2002, 06:37
Have your dealer look at the wave pattern of the fuel pressure regulator on the Tech II. If it is a smooth even wave the regulator is good but if it has a saw tooth pattern it is sticking.

ThePend
05-13-2002, 07:19
Chevyman

Dont know about the new steering rattle TSB. I know one is out there and Ive heard others talking about it. Do a search on steering rattle and see what you find. The lopey idle problem, it was determined that the entire injector pump had to be replaced to fix this. As for a rental car, its dealer to dealer but if they keep your truck overnite or longer most dealers will give you a car to use.

ZFMax
05-13-2002, 09:49
The only steering rattle TSB I'm aware of is the lube-job one. Didn't work at all for me, nor did replacing the shaft.

I'm anxiously awaiting more results from folks who are getting this steering box bearing changed out. The one dealer I've been working with refuses to try it. 'Course, they can't fix anything anyway, even if I lead them by the nose right to the problem. I'm changing dealers. If I can't get good service somewhere, I'm changing brands. :mad:

D-max Man
05-13-2002, 11:03
check the 2500 / 3500 HD Drivetrain section. someone posted there about a fix for the steering column rattle.

mackin
05-13-2002, 16:39
thechevyhdman,

What's up ?....... Where are you going for service ?? LOEHMANN - BLASIUS ? ........ I'm almost positive that a courtesy vehicle is mandatory, it is a GM thing now ...... They reimburse the dealer, as part of the warranty claim ..... If I could find my dam window sticker . I believe it says that right on it , something about a courtesy car program ....... In any way an advanced notification is necessary ......... You have to schedule the appointment for service ......... Walk IN's, walk out ............If you think you'll get a truck keep dream'in .....You'll get a POS no matter what it is .... What you going in for no power? ............
tongue.gif
Need the JUICE .......LOL .........
MAC
:D :D

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

MudNurI
05-13-2002, 17:15
Mackin

Its not a GM wide policy- it is a dealer choice to belong to the program. This info comes directly from www.chevrolet.com They may get reimbursed for the lending vehicles, but some choose not to participate. Worse yet, when they do, you get some crapy Geo Metro or something, FAR away from what I bring them to work on. In my eyes, its not worth the hassle. I either stay with the vehicle,(which I did today), or on Wednesday- I'll drop it off at 8am- and pick it back up at 430...

Brandy

Dave
05-13-2002, 21:49
According to my owners manual the courtisy vehicle is part of the 3 year / 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warrenty. The courtisy vehicle is only required if they have your warrentied vehicle over night. Yes, your right they try to give you some crappy little car. I have had the courtisy vehicle three times now with this truck. I pitched a fit when they tried to give me a geo metro for the week end due to there erros in servicing my truck. I talked to the service manager, showed him the work order where I wrote on it do not pull the axle seal if you do not have one in stock, the 2001 is not the same as the 2000 and earlier. Well the mechnice pulled the seals and of course the seal for the 2000 would not work. I ended up getting a 2500 HD with the 8.1 for the week end.

DmaxMaverick
05-13-2002, 22:22
Maybe GMC is different, but....

I had to leave my truck at the dealer for a couple of days on more than one occasion (had to wait for parts). They took me to a local car rental company and I was provided a "comparible" vehicle to the one I had in the shop. I've had a full size pick up every time. I asked the dealer why they just didn't give me one of their loaners. The owner told me GM pays them for a rental if the vehicle is kept overnight for OEM warranty work. I asked him if all dealers are that way and he said that GMC is that way, but didn't know about other dealers. He also said that my extended GM warranty has the same option.

Sounds to me like someone is pocketing some cash, compliments of GM.

KenR
05-14-2002, 10:13
Interesting thread about loaner cars. My wifes Escalade with 49,622 miles on it died in the middle of Utah last Friday. She called Cadillac Roadside Assistance and they had a tow for her within an hour. Took the wife and Cad to a small town with a Cadillac dealership that night. The next morning after diagnosing a bad fuel pump (part not in stock), she asked for a loaner or rental car to get home in (Las Vegas) and was denied. I ended up driving 8 hours and 550 miles (in my D-Max) to retrieve her. In a heated discussion with Caddy customer service, they told us that, in our case, the dealer was obligated to provide her with a car since hers was to be kept overnight, and in fact, over the weekend. It's part of their dealership agreement. Kinda frustrating - the whole reason we bought this Escalade was to avoid BS like this. Anyway, now the truck is fixed and we'll have to do the whole 8 hours/550 mile thing over again to get it. Harumph.

windjammer
05-15-2002, 11:59
I would rather have the tick any day compared to the steering rattle problem.
Please respond if you had the steering problem fixed.
thanks,
Danny

mechanicwillie
06-17-2002, 18:57
there has been alot of talk on this topic.could some one fill me in on this bearing you are putting in and where.i got the part number from this forum. smile.gif smile.gif

mackin
06-17-2002, 20:10
mechanicwillie,

Is this what you are looking for ? Been busy? Hope not fixing D-Max'es ....... If you know what I mean , no problems are good problems ....
MAC

BRYANGmc (poster from Brandy)
&lt;Quote:"Sorry I took so long to reply with a part#. I misplaced the workorder. MUDNURL is correct the part# is 26099860 description- bearing k 6.525
I need to say again that DON LORENZ GMC is A#1 in my book. They really go to bat for you even after the sale. No I don't work for them, it's just rare to find a dealer with a great service dept.

motovet
06-18-2002, 00:06
Check the drivetrain forum, It's all there.

mdrag
06-19-2002, 09:05
Topic moved to 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum.