PDA

View Full Version : What a 'drag' rusty brakes can be...

markrinker
07-14-2005, 05:34
Left rear drum brake dragging on BOTH #1 and #2 trucks. They haven't seen much action since winter, so I assume its just rust binding things up. Shot anti-seize into every visible opening in the cables, still hanging.

Pulled wheel...can't get the HUGE rusty brake drum loose.

Any tricks to pulling one off that I don't know about???

[ 07-14-2005, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Billman
07-14-2005, 06:24
Loose from the axle/hub?

Loosen lugnuts ~1 turn.

Drive vehicle, making abrupt starts & stops.

Should be free now...

TJ Moose
07-14-2005, 06:35
If that doesn't work - get an even bigger hammer and beat on the edge. You'll get your drums off AND be able to re-enact the ringing of the Liberty Bell as a community service........

cruzer
07-14-2005, 07:53
You probably have to back the brake adjuster off
by going thru the adjuster hole and turning it the opposite way it's suppose to go. If the brakes have not been serviced in a while a ridge will develope on the outside edge of the drum.
You can get a screwdriver in there to hold the keeper off the star wheel and another screwdriver to turn the star wheel to contract the shoes.

MikeChase
07-14-2005, 09:34
If it is still stuck after backing off the adjusters, a large slide hammer hooked on the drum edge and/or heating the drum with a torch around the hub area usually works well.

ees
07-16-2005, 16:13
When I did my rear drums last year I had to remove the entire hub and drum together. I then used a large block of wood and a sledge hammer to drive the hub out of the drum.

With basic cleaning it fit on to the new drum with no problems. It was just too much surface area with the 10 years of rust for me to pull it off. My cheap slide hammer didn't have a chance, but a nice one likely could have.