PDA

View Full Version : clutch chattering

dmaxmule
07-27-2005, 14:05
My clutch chatters and sometimes causes the engine to die when I take off. It tends to happen when the truck is on a hill, loaded, or it has even happened when tring to take off when I was parked in mud. It has even happened twice when I was down shifting as I was coming to a stop.

I went to the dealer and scheduled an apointment as that won't do anything without hearing the problem first. Does anyone have any advice on how to replicate the problem for the mechanic since the chatter does not normally occur during normal driving. My appointment is 8/2/05 at 8:00 a.m.

Looking for help thanks dmaxmule

madmatt
07-27-2005, 16:46
Do they have any big cement light post bases on their lot? I just chain'em to ours and let'er eat! Don't laugh, it works.

dmaxmule
07-30-2005, 07:28
Madmatt, are you saying that the clutch should chatter/slip and die or spin the tires before the truck pulls the light pole down. I think that the light ploe would be a harder pull than the 6000# pounds that I have pulled.

I just hope that either I can or the mechanic can replicate the clatter during the drive/inspection.

madmatt
07-31-2005, 07:04
everytime I've done it the clutch started chattering before I was fully engaged and WOT and of course never try it in 4wd. Just ease into it!

dmaxmule
08-01-2005, 07:23
Madmatt
What did you find that was the problem for the chattering. Is there a fix that GM is doing or are they saying it is normal. I got to go to the dealer in the morning.

dmaxmule
08-02-2005, 06:24
Went to dealer this morning about the clutch chattering. The mechanic listened to the noise and said it is the flywheel. They said my truck was listed on a bulliten for flywheel replacement. They are going to order a new flywheel today.

I was wondering what kind of break in was reqiured for a new flywheel or if there is anything that I need to make sure they are doing when they swap the flywheel.

Thanks dmaxmule