PDA

View Full Version : Cold Temps & Secondary Fuel Filters Without Heaters

Modified
09-17-2003, 16:52
For those of you with living in cold climates, with a post OEM secondary fuel filter that doesn't have a fuel heater installed, have you thought of installing an insulating blanket around your secondary fuel filter, to insulate heat, and reduce the cooling effect from cold air blowing through the headlights?
With the OEM fuel heater, and supposedly 110 to 130 GPH fuel flow, I would think this secondary filter would heat up reasonably fast, even during a short warmup.
Some type of blanket insulation could be tyrapped, or maybe duct taped in place for the winter. I would assume it desirable to remove this insulation during warmer months.
I can't think at this time what material would flexible, and resistant to diesel fuel. Have to look around.

Would this be wirth while?
Does this make sense?
Any suggestions, or improvements?

I don't require scientific proof. Thanks for any input.

Nixter
09-17-2003, 20:27
You could use one of those battery powered boot socks. Just keep a 9 volt battery with you in case it ever freezes up on you. --Nick ;)

More Power
09-19-2003, 11:27
The early 6.2L diesels used a factory installed fuel line heater. It looked like a hotdog on a stick with a set of red/black wires. It had an internal temperature switch that activated at ~+20 degrees. The black wire connected to ground, the red wire was connected to an ignition switched source.

My guess is that something like this could be available from a diesel supply vendor or possibly from GM (1982-83 6.2L diesel).

However, except in extreme conditions, I doubt many trucks running with additional fuel filters will need additional heat. The northern states I've visited during the cold months are all pretty good at offering properly winterized/blended fuel.

MP