PDA

View Full Version : We're back!

rjschoolcraft
07-12-2005, 23:41
It runs. I've driven it. I'm tired.

The timing seems to be off because it's a bit sluggish, but I cannot get my scan tool to work. Will try again tomorrow.

It sounds great. Starts immediately. Can't wait to get the bugs ironed out!

GMCHORSHAM
07-13-2005, 00:22
Yeah RJ, Congrats.
I look forward to read about your experiences
and Engine build on TDP.
Rod.

Kennedy
07-13-2005, 02:42
I can time it in MT if you like. The sluggishness is probably from being a bit fresh combined with the drop in compression.

DChristie
07-13-2005, 04:00
Congrats!!! smile.gif

I'm a tad jealous, I'd like a new engine too. I have this love-hate-personal pride test going, I love-hate my truck, and take great pride in seeing how many miles I can put on it before I absolutely must Pheonix it. :D

DChristie

Cowracer
07-13-2005, 04:03
Congrats! RJ!

Hey, I dunno which route you are taking to MT. But if you are near St. Louis, I got a cold beer for ya!

Tim

moondoggie
07-13-2005, 10:17
Good Day!

Congrats!!!!! I can't WAIT to see your hill-pulling results (hope you get to make it to the Pull-Off) & subsequent articles - I hope your write-up(s) are long & detailed, providing wannabe's like me (& folks that actually do stuff like your motor) HOURS of enjoyable reading. ;)

If you head for the Pull-Off, Safe Journey - I'm sinfully jealous.

Blessings!

Tough Guy
07-13-2005, 14:44
Congrats Ronnie!

We'll have a cold beer for you when you roll in....Drive safe.

Cheers

96turboSuburban
07-13-2005, 15:38
Great going Ronniejoe!!
I know you'll keep us posted on the progress of your new 'heart'.

A bit off topic, I just bought a 2005 Dutchman 31FT. TT off the GSA site!! I have to go to Punta Gorda Fl. to get it though!! Oh well, road
trip here I come!!
Todd

eracers999
07-13-2005, 21:42
Well alright then, i hope you are as happy with yours as i am with mine, good job.

Kent

rjschoolcraft
07-14-2005, 16:13
I set the timing yesterday afternoon. It was significantly advanced when I put the pump back in the same place in relation to the cover. Had to back it off 2 to 3 mm.

It's running better the more I drive it. I put it to work immediately. I hauled two loads of water yesterday and used it to haul the loads seen below today.

http://www.schoolcraftpowertrain.com/Pictures_&_Data/IM001208.JPG

http://www.schoolcraftpowertrain.com/Pictures_&_Data/IM001207.JPG

The new Kennedy exhaust sounds great. The truck is running well. I'm still tweaking and gaining all the time. It feels really strong.

tanker
07-14-2005, 16:55
Good luck Ronnie, I have a place in my heart for suburbans, smile.gif Miss my ole 95, it had a lot of nice things that the new trucks don't. Don't try to beat JK up that hill with your fresh engine! :D
Have fun. smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
07-15-2005, 08:21
Unfortunately, we won't make it to the Pull-Off this weekend. I finished up too late and was physically exhausted from getting only an average of 3 hours of sleep per night for the last two weeks! Didn't feel safe heading out on a 28.5 hour drive in that condition.

I tried.

Jim P
07-16-2005, 05:20
Ron,

I am glad you got your truck running. I am just wondering if you are running the stock turbo or if you upgraded. Also, how much boost are you running on this new motor?

I am planning to run mine on a dyno tomorrow at our local drag strip. Are there any tricks to running on the dyno? I have never done it before.

I usually run 17 psi of boost but for the dyno run, I think I will crank the boost up to 20 psi. I want to make two runs. One with water pumping through my liquid intercooler and one without. I want to see how effective the intercooler is at making power.

rjschoolcraft
07-16-2005, 08:18
Presently running a Schwitzer replacement for a GM4. However, the compressor is better on this unit than the IHI that was there originally.

With only a few days of operational experience since the new engine, I see 20 psi peak towing at low engine speed. I've adjusted the boost controls to keep a minimum of 12 psi up to 3500 rpm. However, this turbo is too small and I have been researching alternatives. I won't make any changes right away, but it's clear now that the turbo is my limiting factor...

gmctd
07-16-2005, 14:56
Very interesting, all this talk about a new motor, rj, when I can plainly see your feet sticking thru the floorboard in the first picture......... ;)

patrick m.
07-17-2005, 06:27
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
Presently running a Schwitzer replacement for a GM4. However, the compressor is better on this unit than the IHI that was there originally.

With only a few days of operational experience since the new engine, I see 20 psi peak towing at low engine speed. I've adjusted the boost controls to keep a minimum of 12 psi up to 3500 rpm. However, this turbo is too small and I have been researching alternatives. I won't make any changes right away, but it's clear now that the turbo is my limiting factor... im interested in the alternatives you come up with, as i have three units sitting on a shelf, all were said to be great replacements.
One will come in early enough, but kill it up top, the others wont come in untill 2300rpm, and have plenty of power.
The problem with this is, many times while towing you dont want to run 75 mph, where the power is.

moondoggie
07-18-2005, 07:34
Good Day!

[i]

gmctd
07-18-2005, 08:46
:D

Reminded me of those old kiddie cars, motivated by pedalling or foot-to-the-ground power.

Seriously, tho, I was wondering which brand of work boots give the most traction for pedalling\pulling a load like that?

Sorry, sorry - just can't stop myself.............

Cowracer
07-18-2005, 08:59
Originally posted by gmctd:
:D

Reminded me of those old kiddie cars, motivated by pedalling or foot-to-the-ground power.

Seriously, tho, I was wondering which brand of work boots give the most traction for pedalling\pulling a load like that?

Sorry, sorry - just can't stop myself............. Redwing DuraShocks are the DuraMax of boots.

Now, if I can just wire up the edge attutude to them... :D

Tim

Marty Lau
07-18-2005, 10:05
Ron;
Sorry you could not make the pull off, but hten there is next year! I'm glad the engine is doing so well. Hey that tractor is making you 'Burban squat just wee bit Ronnie! ;)

rjschoolcraft
07-18-2005, 10:10
Yeah, I sure wish I could have been there. I really tried, but it just didn't work out. Glad you ran your truck! I would really like to take you up on your offer of a visit sometime. Will keep it on the priority list. If you're ever in Indiana, stop in. We've got plenty of room to park a camper as well!

I should have been using my heavier weight distributing bars...

Turbine Doc
08-11-2005, 18:33
RJ
No squat since I installedwww.activesuspension.com (http://www.activesuspension.com) holds dead level towing GN trailer loaded with JD tractor 4480# on rear axle (haven't hit the scales but even holds dead level towing est, 18K of backhoe & trailer), supposed to help with bumper tows as well, I opted for the XXF Hd set something that actually works as advertised