PDA

View Full Version : Fram Sure Valve

Phil B.
09-12-2003, 23:06
Just drained my oil for the first time using the Fram Sure Valve (think that's what they call it). If you're thinking of buying this thing, don't waste your money. It literally took 30 mins. for all the oil to drain. Talk about slow. The good news is that it really is a clean operation with the the hose. I may look into the Fumoto (sp?) valve.

Anyone know if they've improved the wire dipstick on my 2001. What a piece of crap this thing is. I busted the end off today. You cannot tell when there is too much oil. I drilled the grooves so I could see the oil better but didn't drill above the highest fill mark. Went to dimple the tip with a small drill and when I cleaned the tip with my rag, it broke off. It looks to be pot metal. Cracks me up that GM "improves" on something that has been around for so long and makes it worse. The flat type aren't the greatest but I'll take one over this wire. They probably gave the engineer who developed this piece an innovation award or something.

JMPDMax
09-14-2003, 19:28
Yep, don't get the SureDrain pain-thang....

I bought one for the wife's van and it would not stop leaking. I took it off at the next oil change and went back to the stock drain plug...

Oh, BTW, my the dipstick in my 03 is also a wire type....

Later....

BlueOx03
09-14-2003, 19:40
I've had them on 4 differernt rigs now with not a single problem. I drain my oil at opp temp, always have, and I let it drain for a couple hours to let as much as possable to drain out.
My 2

TJ

Phil B.
09-14-2003, 23:16
JMP - Thanks for the info. I need a new dipstick either way. The real question is how well the Fumoto valve drains. A little slow is okay but this Fram is way too slow for my tastes. If I don't button everything up pretty quickly, I'm liable to forget, jump in and run to the store :D

Phil B.

k1xv
09-14-2003, 23:59
For those who have a beer while the oil drains, the Fumoto gives you time for two.

I have one with the nipple and I have a hose "permanently" attached with a hose clamp. I put a couple of wire ties around a nearby frame member and use them to support the hose from hanging down between oil changes.

This arrangement allows me to put the drain pan directly below the oil filter, and stick the end of the hose in the drain pan as well. The result for me has been no drained oil spillage on the driveway at all. Highly recommended (by me).

DmaxMaverick
09-15-2003, 00:01
I have seen the SureDrain, but have never used one. The orifice just seems too small to be efficient at draining a large volume of oil in a reasonable time. Probably fine for a small car.

The Fumoto valve will drain a little slower than OEM. It is a ball type valve and of excellent quality. I usually begin the drain on a hot engine and by the time I get the filter replaced and get out the replacement oil, it's down to very slow drips. In the winter, on a not so hot engine, I'll do the same and lube the front end before it's finished draining. IMO, it's not much longer than pulling the plug. I've had the Fumoto valve on my '01 since about the 2nd or 3rd change and will recommend it to anyone. It is very effective in keeping the oil off the skid plate (valve with the nipple). I don't use a hose with it, as it drains in a predictible stream.

There has been some discussion here about fear of the valve being "bumped" open while driving through brush, deep snow, etc. Although I have never heard of it happening, theoretically, it could. The best (IMO) peace of mind for that would be to install a small hose clamp around the valve and over the lever. No way that could get bumped open (theoretically).