PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter on LLY

Roy-C
02-21-2004, 12:14
I will be getting my new D/A around the fist week of April. This will be my first diesel. I have been studying the posts from the last couple of years on the fuel filter situation on the Duramax engines. I have been trying to figure out if I should plan to add a second filter, as some of the other memebers here have done on the earlier model engines. From a couple of recent posts it sounds like the LLY has a new filter setup. Do any of you with experience in this area have any insights on the new filter?

mark45678
02-21-2004, 18:13
I am sure there is some room for improvement over the lly fuel filter but someone that has the time needs to do fuel samples to prove there will be a benifit! from what I can see the lly has a difernt filter houseing and a differnt filter part number? dont know how its rated but the manual says to changed it ever 10-15K I dont recall!

Jomar
02-21-2004, 20:05
The only difference I could see was that the LLY filter looked longer, and it does have a different part #. From a efficiency stand point,someone will have to test it. And if you call Racor they will just give you some BS like they did on the LB7 Filter. If you have any doubts, slap another filter on it. There`s some good ones out there.

Roy-C
02-21-2004, 21:27
What is the process for testing the fuel? If it isn't too difficult/time consuming I would definately by willing to do it.

From what I have read so far it seems less than certain that a second filter is not going to cause problems of its own. If it is done pre OEM the location could cause problems with fuel gelling when driving in ice or snow conditions. If installed post OEM there may be problems with trapped air causing stalling or not starting. Possibly the load of the extra filter could cause too much strain on the pump. Then there is the possibility of warranty problems with either pre or post OEM install. On the other hand, I plan to put at least 200K miles on the truck so I don't want the injectors or pump going out the day after the warranty expires. It would sure be nice if the stock filter was doing the job it is supposed to do. I guess that is a little too much to ask for a truck that costs only $40K :rolleyes: