PDA

View Full Version : Tech says not to bleed fuel filter.

Dobe Man
02-19-2004, 07:02
First off, this is my first diesel so I am in the middle of a large learning curve. With all the talk about fuel filtration on this forum I decided to change the fuel filter on my 03 before the 15k point. I am a visual learner so I took the truck to a dealer and asked if I could watch the tech. change it. The service manager said that it was okay. I watched the tech. struggle with taking out through the top, spilling fuel as he went. He finally got the new one on and then pumped the fuel into the new filter. He did not loosen the bleed screw on the top. I asked him about this and he said that it was not necessary to mess with that because it is a "self-bleeding system". He then started the truck with no problem. I was a little surprised by this but did not say anything, he is the professional. The total bill was $102. $48 of which was labor. I know that I will be changing it in the future and most probably take off the wheel well skirting to get better access to the filter. 2 questions, should I mess with the bleeder screw and where can a get a replacement filter online that does not cost $45. Thanks for the help for this newbe.

Kennedy
02-19-2004, 07:14
Use a nut driver, and ONLY a nut driver on the screw, and do not tighten excessively and it will last a long time, if not forever. Many have been broken by a mis-sized screwdriver.

Personally, I would bleed from the screw until I saw the first hint of fuel. The filter housing will accumulate air agian anyhow, so just allowing the majority out should suffice.

c5dura
02-19-2004, 08:04
I have replaced my filter twice now and I did not bother bleeding. I did remove the fender skirt and I did fill up the new filter with fuel before installing, and pumped until resitance was felt. It started right up both times with no issues.

Btw, on both changes, the old filter water seperator was completely dry. Guess we must have good quality diesel around these parts. I don't use additives.

Lone Eagle
02-20-2004, 21:56
Filling the OEM gives your system a full quart of dirty fuel when started. Later! Frank

LA DMAX
02-21-2004, 09:06
Dobe,
Try contacting Greg Landuyt, Amsoil rep, he is on this board and has pretty good deals on filters. Also dmaxallitech has them available for a good price, which includes shipping. If no success there, try GMpartsdirect.com, they have good prices but expensive shipping. Hope it helps.

LA DMAX

mark45678
02-21-2004, 18:36
napa and carquest sell them for $33.00

rsgs
02-23-2004, 07:23
I found it was a heck of a lot easier to remove the battery to access the filter. Loosen the cables and one retaining bolt and out it comes. Gives you a large area to work. NOTE: Isolate the positive cable when you remove it as it will be HOT! :D

imjfp
02-26-2004, 09:51
I've gotten Raycor filters for my 2002 Duramax for under $18. each, call 800-658-9355, Jim. Changing them is a real pain. I made a rubber strap wrenchto loosen it but still 1 big pain.