PDA

View Full Version : Room for Improvement

More Power
11-15-2004, 12:27
Room for Improvement (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/suggestions.htm)
What enthusiasts would like to see... in a new truck

TDP Editorial: A certain segment of the Duramax powered 2500HD/3500 truck buying group is comprised of enthusiasts - those who obsess to some degree over the look, ride, utility or performance of their new truck. Including myself as part of that group, I've winced at certain details of the new trucks. GM could easily rectify the situation, and this article is intended to highlight some of what I feel needs attention.

Heartbeat Hauler
11-15-2004, 12:41
Ha! I wouldn't even mind if GM continued to offer trucks they way they were as long as there was a way that I could make the alterations myself, i.e. larger tires, different gear ratio, better breathing box without me worrying about warranty issues or getting a degree electronic engineering to re-adjust the speedo!
JP

MaxACL
11-15-2004, 18:48
A cruse control for the ZF-6 for starters.

I have more!

Mike

Brad Pelot
11-16-2004, 07:17
MORE GROUND CLEARENCE!!!!!!!! BIGGER TIRES!!!!!

Maybe an optional clearence package, since some people like em low.

These diesels could warm up faster too. My air conditioning sucks too.

4diesels
11-16-2004, 08:01
Crib a couple from the competition.....integrated electronic brake controller, should have been done years ago! Automatic high idle like the new Cummins, that would help the slow warm up too!

BETTER QUALITY! I know many hate it when I bring this up but I have had more stupid problems with my GM trucks than my Ford and Dodge trucks combined....yep, I said it....my Dodges have been trouble free as has my Ford (not a 6.0 ;) ). I think the GM's are a bunch of excellent ideas executed in a marginal fashion.... things like injector failures, brake booster failures, tailgate cable recall???? how long have they been building trucks? My truck stickered for $48k, I expect a whole lot better for that kind of money. Lets see....how about staffing the "customer service center" with people that have even a smidge of actual vehicle knowledge! How about training them to help the customer instead of stonewalling and holding up what should be simple fixes?

Wow! I feel like I could write an article too :D

TSimpler
11-16-2004, 09:09
I have a small list I would dearly love to see:

Real skid plates; and more skid plates at the locations they will work best. Who thinks that the plastic skid will last? :(

Larger fuel tanks, 26:34 gallons is a joke.

Quadraster in a 2500HD diesel. I would buy one in a minute, this thing turns like a barge.

An optoin for front and rear electronic lockers; Jeep and Toyota have them, why not us?

How about a sixth gear on the Allison for when we use our truck empty. Love my Ally but a sixth would be really sweet. :D

A stronger bed box. I dented mine in a couple of spots and the side tie down loops could be stronger.

Factory optoins to delete the front and rear bumpers. I hate having to pay for things that are just going to come off.

Fog lights that stay mounted; again who thought plastic would last? :D

Hope this helps; I will likly add more later.

Trent

Colorado Kid
11-16-2004, 09:32
Originally posted by MaxACL:

I have more!

Mike Huh? :confused:
Mine had cruise. So did my buddies.

I'd like to see a bed that didn't need a reinforcing kit to hold the same toolbox used on my last 2 trucks (bed rails tore like foil is less than 5,000 miles . . .same box hadn't damaged my '91 in 215,000 miles.)

It's not the cosmetic items that bug me, it's the things that my older trucks had that the newer ones don't, even though I'm at the same or higher trim level. Glovebox light? Under dash lights? Power seat for the passenger? Under hood light (the '96 has the one an a reel . . .vey nice touch . . .the '04 doesn't have one at all, have to use a flashlight to find the dipstick tube :mad: ) Lights instead of reflectors in the trailing edges of the doors? A keyhole in the back door of the Burb, or the passenger side door? I do appreciate the factory running boards though. The full sized spare is nice, but why can't it be on a matching wheel? (My 91 was the last one I got with 5 wheels just alike . . . all painted steel). '69 Caddy had automatic parking brake release and 99 Honda's is foot operated, the '91's release was on the dash, '96's is lower, '02 lower still, and farther forward . . .I'm not getting more limber in my old age, why am I bending farther and farther to let the brakes off?

Finally the fool who put the none- dimmable, inextinguishable "Passenger Airbag" text ON THE FACE OF THE REAR VIEW MIRROR" (it's illuminated whether the airbag is off or on :rolleyes: )should be fired and sued into bankruptcy. Who cares if the mirror is electro-chromatic self dimming when the text on the front of it is whiter and brighter than the reflection of any following vehicle's headlights? The electrical tape I "fixed" it with is a cosmetic blemish, but at least I can drive at night now. (The piece of 5% window tint over the highbeam indicator helps too . . . I'm told the '03s blue light was even brighter. :rolleyes:

GM hasn't chased me away yet, but I'd be a lot happier if these things were addressed before I buy my (someday they will build one) Diesel Yukon XL. If Dodge builds a Diesel "Suburban", or if I decide I need another diesel pickup I think my loyalty will have expired. My buddy replaced his '02 D-max ZF with an '04 Cummins 600 . . .you can't dent the bedrails by climbing into his truck, and it has all the lights I complained of missing (optional equipment, but it has them), and no lights in the rear view mirror. I'll have to check the location of the brake release. ;)

RB
11-16-2004, 15:31
This reply may be a little off base but here goes.
SUPPLY!... just build the damn things. GM's supply logic has me totally baffled. I sold and ordered GMCs for 15 years and I can't tell you how many Fords and Dodges were sold simply because we could not provide the trucks the customers wanted. This year I intend to buy a new Duramax but I'm dreading and probably not willing to go through all the grief I'll have to find what I want. Locally, there are no GMC Dmaxs on the lot and the Chevy dealer might have 2. In contrast, the Ford lot has approx 15 - 20 Strokes on the lot at any given time and Dodge will have at least 10.
I really want to drive a GM but I'm not going to have my head taken off by a dealer or have to travel all over country to find what what I want because of supply and demand.
All three build "good" trucks.

[ 11-16-2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: rb ]

drgracr
11-16-2004, 16:54
what would I like to see..taller tires on my dooley, second overdrive gear, better mirrors, lots more fuel capacity so we can actually tow a large distance...but I still like these trucks..
oh, I wish they would fix the steering rattle..both trucks have it

OC_DMAX
11-16-2004, 17:20
1. Larger fuel tank for short-beds, 26 gallons is not enough when towing.

2. Fix the "clunk" in the steering wheel (intermediate shaft). My 2000 Chev and my 2002 Chev have this problem. Oh, my friends 2004 also has this problem. Come-on guys, get it right!! (How many warranty claims do you have to do?)

3. The air conditioner needs a little more cooling capacity. I spend sometime in the Calif desert during the summer and the A/C is marginal, it just barely keeps up.

4. I hope my next DMAX comes stock with the equivalent power of say an Edge Juice Level 1 or 2 programmed into the ECM. This would be a perfect tow vehicle for me.

5. The bed of the truck dents too easy. Remember, your selling this thing to me as a heavy duty truck, please include a heavy duty bed. (Especially the bed rails.) Also, how about an option offering the equivalent of a Line-X sprayed bed from the factory? Seems like if done in mass production the cost should be minimal (hey you could sell for same as Line-X and make some profit on this one)

6. The Allison trans runs too hot around town during the summer time. No problem towing, just around town stop-n-go driving thru the hills around town here the temps can easily go to over 210.

7. How about an integrated trailer brake controller with the tow package. This should be simple to implement with today's electronics. I cannot see why we need to always buy a brake controller box and hang it under the dash. Integrate this with the brake pedal, seems like a natural.

8. The fuel injector issues are getting old and must be costing you a bundle in warranty repairs. The DMAX engine appears to be well executed with one weak spot, lets get this behind us. Full court press with the engineering staff, get it done.

9. I agree with the comments on the tires. 265's would be a good first choice. If nothing else, upsize the rims to 7 inches (instead of 6.5 inches) so we the consumer could install 265's on the correct size rims.

10. Body style/design is subjective. I believe the 2001-2002 Chev HD style/design was a home run. The 2003-2004 Chev design does nothing for me. Your going to have to hit another home run in order for me to give up my 2002 and buy another one of your products.

11. Go thru your product and look for things that we the consumers would consider "cheap or its here because some budget cutter had his way". With MSRP's approaching $45K, cheapness should not be present on your product (floor mats come to mind, but there are others).

12. Shocks. Has GM ever installed good shocks on a truck? Just commission Bilstein to build the correct shocks for you.

[ 11-16-2004, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: OC_DMAX ]

carco
11-22-2004, 18:02
The shocks weren junk, one was dead long befor I replaced them @ 7000 miles, cheaper than messing with the dealer for warranty, rides better now!!
Better AC, most trucks get very cold, these GM trucks are not so cold.
Quadrasteer option for all single rear wheel axles.
A second OD 6th speed gear in the Allison. This engine has power to pull a steeper OD when empty or lightly loaded and @ around 16-1800 rpm best mileage seems to occur.
Bigger tires stock, with wider rims stock.
Calibration for speedo for additional tire sizes.
I know weight is a measure of strength but stronger metals can reduce weights and help mileage. Why is this truck right @ 1000# heavier than my 93 K2500 6.5 4x4 EC. Yes, trans is more, CC over EC is more, engine ?? but 1000#???
Thin metal that dents easily, not good!
Bulky front end feel, front of truck feels much bigger than the 93 and feels harder to manuever. 02 C6500 has better over hood view and easier feel of manuevering.
Leg room is cramped, no foot room is cramped, when on long trips your feet can not lay flat on the floor under the pedals with legs fully extended in a stretch mode. bob........

MaxACL
11-29-2004, 20:22

I have more! What I ment was a cruse control that was built for a ZF-6 and worked. I have cruse but it's stupid and such a pain... I'll drive manual.

Mike

Chris Curran
11-30-2004, 04:59
1. Larger fuel tank for short-beds, 26 gallons is not enough when towing.

ditto

2. Fix the "clunk" in the steering wheel (intermediate shaft). My 2000 Chev and my 2002 Chev have this problem. Oh, my friends 2004 also has this problem. Come-on guys, get it right!! (How many warranty claims do you have to do?)

Is this the 'spline' issue you're referring to? I had my 02 in twice to get fixed, and my wifes 02 Tahoo has the the same issue.

7. How about an integrated trailer brake controller with the tow package.

Yea, really - Hats off to Ford for getting there first. It's about damned time.

9. I agree with the comments on the tires. 265's would be a good first choice. If nothing else, upsize the rims to 7 inches (instead of 6.5 inches) so we the consumer could install 265's on the correct size rims.

10-4. I spent HOW MUCH on this truck and I have to run baby tires or void warranty? Let's have a meeting GM...