PDA

View Full Version : External fuel tank

elowe1
09-07-2003, 19:39
I finally got tired of stopping at every truck stop to fill up when towing so I am making a 45 gal. tank to fit in the bed. I've got that part figured out but need suggestions on how to tie into existing fuel system.
I'm sure someone out there has already done this ,so how about saving me some frustration???

TBC
09-07-2003, 20:15
I bought a 41 gal tank/toolbox combo from Northern Tool and an installation kit with a 6 port valve from Auxiliary Trucks in Garland, TX. Below is their website. Kit is complete with instructions and diagrams.

http://www.auxiliarytruck.com/about.asp

The hardest part is cutting the existing fuel lines and mounting the valve. Takes 2-3 hours with some help. Mounted valve switch on dash in recess that is used for some unknown accessory. It reads the level in the selected tank on my fuel gauge and returns fuel to the selected tank. This prevents overfilling. The tank has to have a rollover valve and the setup like the kit sets it up to be compliant with the Feds and state laws. This is especially important should there ever be an accident.

Mine works great and would have it no other way except for the filter. The kit comes with an inline filter. I am going to investigate a better filter although I have not had a problem but just want to get something to handle the filtering a little better. Being safe rather than sorry. Email me at tbcobb@mindspring.com if you want further info.

Tom Cobb

earniem
09-07-2003, 23:19
Because the 2003 trucks have 1/2" fuel lines I had a problem putting in th 3/8" 6 port valves curently available so after much thought and frustration I put in a low profile GFI pump on my tool box tank,a 10 micron filter and run all my fuel through my aux. tank. It looks kind of funny with a hose and nozzle (Automatic) comming from the aux tank to the truck then the station nozzle going into the aux. tank but it works great, all my fuel is filtered to 10 micron and I did not have to mess with the OEM Lines.

Jim Cobler
09-08-2003, 14:58
With any addon fuel tank, you should not allow the fuel returning to the tank to drop through the air into the remaining fuel in the tank. This causes airation of the fuel and the air can then separate as it is sucked by the engine pump. The air can accumulate in your filters and cause problems. I put tubes on my return lines that allowed returning fuel to be injected under the fuel level in the tank. I got this tip from a Baldwin Engineer.

Also, when looking for a filter for your setup consider the Baldwin BF 1259 which is used on Cummins Engines. It is 9 absolute and 3 nominal with a water drain. Mined mounted on the frame rail and did not protrude below the frame.

TBC
09-08-2003, 18:23
Jim

My add on tank has a return line on the tank and does not seem to be foaming the fuel so I assume it does not drop through the air.

I looked at the Baldwin filter on the web and it is a screw on filter. What did you mount the filter onto?

Tom Cobb

Phil B.
09-08-2003, 20:15
Likewise, my fuel feed is so slow that it "flows" down the filler tube into the main tank. No problems to date and I've run quite a bit of fuel through the set-up.

If you are interested, look at the pics of my tank. I had the design goal of an external tank that could easily/quickly be removed and I wasn't about to spend $1000 for the Transfer flow OEM replacement. It works well and was very inexpensive. Gives me 20 extra gallons which is about 600 miles range, on average.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2185992&uid=1040769&members=1

Paintdude
09-08-2003, 21:16
I feed mine into the fuel neck with a auto fuel pump..Has worked great for well over a year now..I wasn`t gonna cut any of my OEM fuel lines..Just my opinion,the way I did it....

GT
09-08-2003, 22:07
I installed a northern tool tank about 18 months ago and plumbed the fuel line to a fuel pump then to the fill pipe. I had to pressurize the tank the first time to get the fuel to flow but never again.Have run over a 1,000 gal. through this set up with no problems.Most of the time the fuel will siphon to the lower tank till the upper tank is about half full. The only bad thing is if you forget to turn off the pump you can over fill the lower tank and have spill. It is an easy install and works great.

Jim Cobler
09-09-2003, 18:31
The Baldwin BF1259 mounts with the base FB1311 which you can see on the Baldwin Web Site. It is quite simple and easy to mount.

TBC
09-09-2003, 19:03
Jim

Thanks for the info.

Tom

elowe1
09-09-2003, 19:59
Thanks to all of you for your help.
You have probably saved me a few grey hairs , a few bucks ,and the dog from a few kicks.

cmadmaxman
09-10-2003, 05:03
Take a look at my Pic's and see the tank that I made for my truck. I used .125 5052 alum. to make the tank. It is 40 gal. The fill is from an airplane supplier that is weleded in place. I have an Isppro fuel gauge to watch my level. Also have it 5" off the bed so that long things like pipe and boards use the full length of the bed. (at least up the 5" high :D ) The tank is only 10" thick and hides completly under my cover.

I have a tee in the fill line with a 1/4" pipe fitting to allow for the barbed fitting. I have a borge warner (sp) single valve that I switch on/off from in the cab. I just watch my fuel level in my main tank and then add fuel when needed. If you want more detail photos, drop me a line at cbwood72@bellsouth.net. Good luck with your spare tank make and install. Its not all that bad. ;)