PDA

View Full Version : Air Box How do I know

ram/tx
08-15-2002, 17:43
I keep hearing about this recall on the 2001 Air Box, but I have not received a recall notice. My air box is open in the front towards the right side of the fender. It looks like water can get in the box and just sit in the bottom, no drain holes. There is a silver piece of something taped to the inside of the fender, but I can't find anything that looks like a snorkel everyone is talking about, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Does anyone have pictures of the old Air Box and the new updated box or tell me how I can find out what box I have. Hate to go to the dealer, such a hassle.

Flyboy
08-15-2002, 18:01
You have the upgraded air box already. That is what they do to keep the water from entering through the snorkel. The silver tape covers the hole where the snorkel enters.

mackin
08-15-2002, 19:13
ram/tx ,

There is no recall......There is a TSB out for for replacement of 01 box,when you go in for service.......If your concerned with water intake drill some holes in the bottom ......I never or would change mine (01$ukin from the fender no snorkel?) It's custom and works well.......Drilled in the front and bottom......

MAC :D

ram/tx
08-16-2002, 06:47
Flyboy and Mackin---Thanks for the information on the Air Box. I recon I need to get the drill out and punch some holes in the bottom of this box now. HUH?

Nels
08-16-2002, 08:10
Concentrate on the front and the bottom of the box. I followed J. Kennedy's lead and cut out a small triangle in the front of the box, so as to 'accept' the airstream entering through the headlight assembly. Drain holes in the bottom couldn't hurt either.

APR2000
08-16-2002, 17:46
Chevysrus stated in another thread that there was a recall on the 01 airbox. I didn't get one either, so he must be referring to the TSB. The only formal recall that I have ever received was on the brake ABS connection relocation issue. I opened up the air box and didn't see any water evidence. There is a small hole already drilled in the bottom. Since the filter is raised from the bottom, it seems like it would hard for water to enter? If you drilled holes in the bottom and front of the existing stock box aren't you creating more water entrance possibilities. Are you guys still using the stock filter after you swiss cheese the box? Lastly on this subject, how is the 02 and 03 air boxes different and better?