PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Gone Wild!

tnlegendracer
11-07-2004, 18:30
I just traded my '97 6.5 in on a '03 6.6 and am loving it. Don't like the way it still pulls to the right (even after lining it up) but I'm thinking part of this might be me switching from 2wd to 4wd.

Last night while returning home, the speedo needle kept creeping up and up. Before I knew it the speedo said I was going 120+. Other cars and semis were passing me. When I cut the truck off, it stays between 60 and 80. I checked the personal trip and odometer, and they're reading correctly. Anybody else heard of this or know the cause?

DmaxMaverick
11-07-2004, 19:38
Keeping it simple, it sounds like your speedo is sprung. Easy to replace, but have the dealer do it if you have warranty left. If it were upstream of the speedo, you would have DTC's (SES light) and probably be in limp mode.

tnlegendracer
11-07-2004, 19:43
I got it with 65K miles on it, so I imagine it's on me. What do you think it'll run cost wise?

richp
11-08-2004, 09:30
I waited about 10k miles before I gave up on mine and had it replaced at the dealer. It was not uniformly high -- it showed varying speeds 15 mph plus or minus when compared with my GPS. This happened at about 70k miles on the truck. Knew sooner or later I'd get a ticket guessing how fast I was going....

The entire cluster had to be done just to fix the wandering speedometer, to the tune of $350.

For what it's worth.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

RWA II
11-08-2004, 15:20
I am pretty sure that the dealer won't bother to fix the "sprung spring" as appropriately described, and will rather just make you buy a new one. A quick search on Ebay found them for 200 shipped. Might want to ask the seller if they are new, but seeing as how he has 9 of them, I would bet they are. Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7933556381&category=33675&sspagename=WDVW

tnlegendracer
12-07-2004, 20:02
The dealer has replaced the gauge cluster, now none of the DIC (driver info center) buttons on the bottom of the wheel work. Any ideas on what would cause this?

tnlegendracer
12-09-2004, 06:06
In case this happens to anybody else: The selling dealer sent the cluster to my local dealer. The local dealer installed it. Apparently, these things are ordered with the mileage entered, and can have the other programming too. Mine only had mileage. They called it "blank". A quick program with something called a "Tech Two" got everything working.

More Power
12-12-2004, 12:44
Thanks for the update.

During one of the last visits I made to the local GMC dealer to have some programming done for the lil Red Duramax project (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/project2-16.htm), I learned that the odometer mileage on instrument panel cluster can be changed, but only when off the vehicle. I had wanted to zero-out the miles on this cluster, but decided to wait (didn't want to disassemble the dash during that visit).

Someday I'll have the odo corrected to reflect the actual miles. It had 1930 miles on it when the truck first hit the streets. No big...

MP