PDA

View Full Version : OVER FILLED TANK

sd455
02-07-2004, 16:02
Hi,
I have an 04 Silverado with the duramax (4k mi). Yesterday I seriously overfilled it. I mean fuel was shooting out of the filler (pump malfunction). When I went to start it the glow plug light stayed on as if it were ice cold (it wasn't, I had been driving for 2 hours, the light should have gone off in 1 sec) and the engine was making more noise (the sound a diesel makes under strain) for about 30 sec then went away. From that moment on it has been doing the same thing. This morning when cold the idle was very rough.

I dont think its bad fuel. Could I have damaged something by overfilling so much?

Thanks,

Viking
02-07-2004, 16:12
No.

Spartus
02-07-2004, 17:01
Shouldn't cause an issue.

Also, please DON'T post the same message in two different sections.

JEBar
02-08-2004, 03:48
usually fill mine all the way to the top of the neck and have never had a problem

Jim

jbplock
02-08-2004, 05:53
Like Jim, I also routinely fill mine to the top (except on hot days in the summer) and have never had a problem.

How low was your fuel level before filling up? Since everything was OK before the fill up, it's possible you have a bad load of fuel. I would suggest draining the fuel filter to check for any water and/or sludge. The water in fuel (WIF) sensor should come on if there is water but I would check anyway. Also note the color of the fuel - it should have a slight yellow tint (be sure to bleed the filter after draining). Let us know what you find

sd455
02-08-2004, 07:52
Thanks for the response. It turns out that the tank was filled beyond capacity. the fuel must have blocked a breather or sensor because I removed some fuel so that the guage came off of dead full (I had 70 Mi on the tank and it still showed full) , and everything is back to normal.

jbplock
02-08-2004, 09:47
Interesting.. Maybe something unique with new fill tube on the 04's?

Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious...

smile.gif

sd455
02-08-2004, 12:03
Just wondering (because I'm relatively new to this), If different sections have different titles and different people view them, why should'nt I post the same message in different sections?

tswartos
02-09-2004, 09:03
dont worry about it...he's not a moderator so unless u get a spanking from someone that is, feel free to ignore suggesions that dont seem right.

Heartbeat Hauler
02-09-2004, 10:27
Just to let you know, when I fill my truck it takes about 100 miles before the needle gets down to the full mark.
JP