PDA

View Full Version : GM Calibration information

walkerkd
08-12-2002, 09:53
hey guys i done that with my vin number and there are 3 pages of stuff to be done.. i guess i need to take it in... has anyone else done theres and come back with alot of stuff>???..

http://calid.gm.com/vci/

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: walkerkd ]</p>

Raptorrider2001
08-12-2002, 10:09
I also looked mine up and it came up with lots of things. Does that mean I need to have it done or does it mean it has already been done?

DURA-MAX3
08-12-2002, 10:11
What are you talking about, is there something you can do with the vin number. I would be interested in seeing what mine needs. Give me the link to submit my info...

walkerkd
08-12-2002, 10:24
ttt the link is on there.. check it out... what im wondering is if i need to take it in.. and i printed it out so when i do take it i can show them the paper..

walkerkd
08-12-2002, 10:25
hey raptorrider..
i have a 89 250r fourtrax.. wanna race..!!!! hahah!!!

Joe Duffiney
08-12-2002, 11:48
I took the printed out sheets from that site to the dealer and I only needed 2 of them the others were already done. I guess it depends on the build date and the purchase date of the vehicle.
Most of mine were already installed. I would still take them with you and they can check it for ya.

DURA-MAX3
08-12-2002, 11:56
What am i invisible or nobody wants to answer my question...

WannaDieselSub
08-12-2002, 12:11
Go to http://service.gm.com/index_en-US.html and click on "VCI Calibrations" tab. Enter your VIN and stand back.

BTW, anyone have calibrations updated out of warranty and what was the cost? My 97 Vortec 7400 has several update candidates. Wondered how bad it's gonna hurt. I assume only the GM dealer has these updates....

John.

APR2000
08-12-2002, 12:22
I have a virgin 2001 D/A built 11/00. No updates yet. My truck comes up with 2 pages of "calibration information". My concern is that for every system calibration mentioned there is an update for "new calibration to address driveability and emissions compliance issues. Two concerns here: I don't have any driveability issues. Secondly, emissions compliance issues means what??? "We're going to screw up a good thing because the government told us to." I am still not decided on getting the updates. If you update, you can't go back.

ChevysRus
08-12-2002, 12:38
APR2000------

Go get the darn updates, guarantee you will be very happy. I also had a Virgin 2001, took it in with much concern and trepidation, but once it was over, my truck and I just sat there having a smoke.......tires I mean. WOW big improvement!!!!

I also thought my truck was running good, but the changes made it much better. Quicker response, more power (at least my neck snaps harder when I hit the pedal) better mileage, shifts much, much better and doesn't downshift when going up a hill loaded or empty or towing.

You are gonna like it!

Now for the key, you have to go in with a complaint or they won't upgrade it. For me it really was a pain with all the down shifting while towing my car trailer, so no lies needed.

Also there is a recall on your 2001 Airbox. You can get a better airbox from a 2002 model (more airflow)if you also take in the re-call notice. This only applies to 2001. Have you noticed any water in the bottom of your airbox??????? If, not you must have cleaned it out right!!!!!

The 2001 design allows water to get into the airbox from the snorkels that run thru the R/S front fender. the fix is to cover these holes and use the 2002 airbox which is all open on that side
allowing more air.

Anyway, the updates in each group are included in the last update for the group, so you only get 1 update per group. there's nothing in there that will hurt your truck or make it worse. In the old days (last year) some of the updates did make things worse, but those have all been fixed and these latest updates are a "hot ticket" which is what you will get if you are not careful LOL

Get them done and get back here with your happy face!

Regards,

mackin
08-12-2002, 15:24
APR2000,

I'm with ya there buddy.......Virgin 05/01..........Plus you have to go complain to get it done....... :rolleyes: What the hell do I got to complain about ?I want more smoke and they are gonna make a TREE HUGGER out of my truck ........ :( Forgetaboutit........
Mine shifts great ,I got DA JUICE.........Best software update going to this date 08/02 ,can't beat it.........Airbox?The 02's suck just as bad or they don't suck depends on how you look at it,it's confusing......I'll have to get my hole saw out again,I'm busy.......

MAC :D

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Paintdude
08-12-2002, 17:49
Here is the link..you must highlight it then click right mouse button and click on copy..then go up and highlight the web address at the top of your browser and right click then paste..then hit the enter key...All of this is for your incovinence er,I mean security..

http://calid.gm.com/vci/

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>

APR2000
08-12-2002, 18:58
CheysRus,

How do I know that you aren't some government agent planted here to undermine the vitality of the original design of the Duramax by trying to get us to reduce our nocturnal emissions? Or worse yet, by encouraging us to mess with the mind of the Duramax, it's a terrorists plot to neutralize the 1st Ammendment freedoms? What me paranoid? Just kidding :D I will probably get the updates before the end the of warranty, unless this fanatic dude, mackin, brain washes me. Just think one day there will be small club of 2001 Duramax Virgin Owners. These people will receive great recognition (and large sums for these unchanged trucks)for resisting the dilution of the Force. Then there is the fear of the effects of the changes on the personality of the truck. Talk about trauma!! It could be like a bride on her wedding night with Mike Tyson.

Raptorrider2001
08-12-2002, 21:03
Walkerkd - Sure! I would say the formula for the winning bike would look like this:

Duramax vs. PowerStroke = Duramax (where Duramax = Raptorrider and PowerStroke = Walkerkd). Well, you get the idea... :rolleyes:

walkerkd
08-15-2002, 13:12
well im talking raptor vrs 250r.. where do you ride? im from west texas we rind the sand dunes.. its alot of fun. but im just about finish rebuilding my bike.. i will be ready real soon.. !!!! nah i like the raptors.. they look pretty cool. so do those new z400's.. i like the headlights.. if i can take my money out of my duramax fund and put in the 250r fund i would be riding already! hahaha.. but its to hard to do that. :D