PDA

View Full Version : smart box E installed!

kavik
01-30-2004, 15:01
Jut got my Van Aaken smart box E a few days ago and got it installed. Very easy install, came with a 3 way switch for easy level change (this one is 0/70/110). I wanted a mild box for towing that would not throw codes and had a lot of built in protection for the vehicle. I did add a pyro to watch when towing. No codes or problems yet. I took it out today and did some non-towing 0-60 test runs, not going for speed (auto tranny in D, no heavy revving, etc) but looking to stay consistent to see the difference between power levels. This is what I got:

stock 0-60 (average) 11.5 sec
lvl 1 (70hp) 9.45 sec
lvl 2 (110hp) 8.8 sec

Pretty happy with the box, I will try towing next with the 70 and 110 and see how it goes. If I can't use the 110 for towing, I will maybe see about getting it re-programmed so it is a 0/70/150 so I have even more hp unloaded, but didn't get this originally because I have talked to people who have towed on 110 successfully, so I wanted that option.

As an aside, after all my pyro guage install work, I have a single A pillar pod and a single autometer steering column mount which I did not end up using : you can e-mail me at chris1@west.net . I ended up mounting it below the brake controller to the right of the gas pedal on the center console (by my right knee sort of), where only I can see it . Bought a 7.99 guage mount from the auto parts store, not very visible (you have to look down)if you are watching it all the time but perfect for glancing at when towing grades.

01-31-2004, 03:43
I have the 90/150 and tow in the 90 hp setting. Any hills that it won't do in overdrive it goes up 60 mph in fourth at 2500 rpm and 850 deg egt. My trailer wieghts 14,000 lbs. and when towing stock the EGT were in the 1000 deg range and higher. Also the mileage is better towing in the second setting.