PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Leak Sensor SURPRISE?

Jim Cobler
10-13-2004, 16:27
I don't see how the fuel sensor can sense a leak in a fuel tank in the bed of a pickup but it apparently did.

I have a fuel pump which draws fuel from the bottom of my bed tank and pushes it through a Baldwin 1259 water separating/filter and back into the other end of the tank. To determine when the filter may need changing I decided to put a pressure sensing gauge in the line before the filter. I was a little careless because I had a regular drip at one of the fittings.

My check engine light came on and the dealer said the code was leaking fuel and that was the only leak we could find. Once the leak was fixed the light did not come on again.

I am surprised that this could happen.

Jim

lookin2buy
10-14-2004, 14:07
Anyone-

I"m just curious what the purpose is to have a "Baldwin 1259 water separating/filter", when there is already a fuel filter on the truck.
I guess I don't know what a "BALDWIN 1259" is.

Thanks!

Jim Cobler
10-14-2004, 14:40
The Baldwin 1259 is a larger filter/water separator than is standard on the Duramax. This filter, as I understand, is used on some Cummins engines in 18 wheelers and exceeds the Cummins specs. The filter will trap and hold more dirt than the standard filter and since diesel fuel is only filtered to 30 microns by the refineries, I feel it is a good idea to have a pre-filter.

I have one frame mounted as a pre-filter and one as a kidney filter on the tank in the bed. I just want to extend the life of the standard filter, not beyond 15000 miles, and perhaps increase the filtration of the fuel. If nothing else, it gives me a little peace of mind. By the way, you can buy them for $11.00 each.

Jim

More Power
10-14-2004, 17:56
I'm always open to learn new things, but I don't think there is a sensor that can detect an external fuel leak in these trucks.

There are codes that relate to fuel injector health, one of which indicates a "fuel leak", which really means there is excessive return fuel flowing through one or more injectors.

I'll have to check the manuals to get more of the info....

MP

lookin2buy
10-14-2004, 19:10
Very interesting MP, i'm curious myself now... if it does, then COOL :cool: that's just all the better for us, because sometimes you don't know till it's tooo late :eek: