PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty?

Hillbilly
10-12-2004, 07:33
What is the current thinking on buying an Extended
Warranty? GM or Third Party? I have rolled up 27,500 on my DMAX and need to make a decision soon. By the way I am a big old fat 70 year old and am not a mechanic.

I do love my DMAX!

letsgo
10-12-2004, 12:11
I guess we must be twins.
I have always bought extended warrantes just in case, but always GMC, I wouldnt touch a third party with a 10" pole.
I have seen too many postings where third parties created problems for the purchaser, then there is that third party that went belly up last year.
On one of my cars GMC paid out $8000 in the 5 year period.
I have never lost money.

good luck

tanker
01-18-2005, 01:39
I question the extended warranty as well, GM wants over $2000.00 for 6 yrs, 100,000 bumper to bumper w/$200.00 deductable. Seems if I invest $2000.00+ dollars in an account w/good interest :rolleyes: I could use that for anything over the 36 mo.,36,000 mi. warranty.

crew84
01-18-2005, 08:44
I have one word for those out there looking for GM extended warranties, SHOP! I was quoted $2300.00 for mine with $0.00 deductable. I shopped around contacting different dealers. I got it , the 100,000 mile, 6 year, zero deductable for $1600.00.

Onebigcanuck
01-18-2005, 09:31
I've checked with the saleman I've bought 6 GM units from. He tells me it's just like buying a car, they have room to move on the price and coverage.

;)

dcalex
01-18-2005, 12:26
I've got the extended warranty on a little Explorer. Bought it with the car. I don't know about GM, but even though I bought this from Ford, it wasn't their warranty. Wound up being third party that I dealt with. Blew an injector on a trip and they paid hotel, rental, and repairs with no fuss at all....wound up being four days due to holidays, so we had a little mini-vacation out of it all. What could have been traumatic (dollar wise)wound up being a pleasant diversion. With the injector issues always a threat, I'd be uncomfortable without one. One rule I personaly have re insurance (any insurance)is to get the best policy I can afford (within reason). Many times my workmates have bragged about how cheap their insurance was compared to mine. I would just smile. Sure enough, time for them to make a claim and look out....all the fine print comes out and they find out they really don't have much other than words on paper they had been paying for. I just go get my problem fixed and I'm done with it. To be sure, you gotta shop around, but in my experience with insurance, you really do get what you pay for....nothing more, nothing less.

madmatt
01-18-2005, 19:51
extended warr. are statisticly a bad deal, but if you buy one try to stay away from aftermarket. They have too much fine print and try any way possible to get out of paying. some don't pay diag or taxes or have a deduct. dont sound bad but if you have four concerns, the cust. is often times charged a deduct and diag for each concern. w/ can add up quick. so for ex... deduct-$100, diag $40 per half hour diag, half hour diag for each concern, so.....that comes out to be $560 out of the cust. pocket before they remind you they don't pay tax either. Not that all aftermarket warr. are like this, but this is one go round I see all to often. many do not pay for leaks, noises, body parts, and wear items w/ out going into detail which allows them to pick and chose which claim they will or will not pay. And if thats not enough you can't forget about the "NEUTRAL PARTY" adjusters they send out on big jobs or nearly out of date/milage policys. yeah an dif your engine lays down on you, don't even think about trying to get that covered, you either abused it or it was inproperly maintained. at least thats what the neutral adjusters always find.

crew84
01-18-2005, 22:55
Not that all aftermarket warr. are like this, but this is one go round I see all to often. many do not pay for leaks, noises, body parts, and wear items w/ out going into detail Sorry to say this but the GM extended warranty does not cover any of those items either. Also the GM warranty allows for used parts to be used in repairs. After studying the aftermarket and the Factory Warranties I still went with the Factory. I at least knew/hoped that GM repair centers would not hassle with me over listed covered items.

deerhunter7
01-19-2005, 06:44
The Dealer when I bought mine wanted $1400 for 7 year 70,000 mile. That was with a 50 dollar deductible. When I told them their too high and going to walk out, they offered me $1,100 and no deductible so I bought it..

Wheat Whacker
01-19-2005, 18:55
I have never bought any warranty for a Diesel pickup but when we bought the wife's Buick we bought extended warranty through an aftermarket company and have only good things to say. They were considerably cheaper for better and longer coverage. We did use it and they covered the bill and other costs such as alignment when they replaced the tie rod ends under warranty without any grief. They even replace the radio without any hesitation with well over 99,000 miles on a 100,000 mile warranty. They were also good about paying for a rental while the car was tied up and would have payed for hotel costs should something happened on the road. I am sure there are companies to avoid as well so a little research would be in order if you go aftermarket.

Just a thought.

madmatt
01-22-2005, 03:36
No GM doesn't , but at least there lines are more clearly drawn and there is no hassle trying to get them to pay for anything. I've had DFS warr. pay for a alt. one week and then say it's not a covered item next week. also if the vehicle has multiple problems or is near it's end of coverage they want to send a inspector out. Not trying to lean anybody one way or the other just read the fine print on any warr., fact. or aftermarket. The people seling the warr usually aren't very aware of whats covered and we constantly get told how these warr. were supposed to be BTB, as told by the salesman anyway, then surprise, take your vehicle in, find that none of it is covered and get a diag bill. NO EXTENDED WARRENTY IS AS GOOD AS FACTORY WARR.

madmatt
01-22-2005, 03:39
most ext. warr. allow for used parts as well.

roegs
01-22-2005, 18:31
As mentioned earlier, I've also heard that you can negotiate with the dealer on extended warrenties. Is there a way to find out what the dealer pays for the warrenties? (similar to the 'invoice' cost we can get for new vehicles)

madmatt
01-22-2005, 19:09
I'm not sure but I don't think the dealer pays anything for them, they just act as a broker and get a kickback for selling it. thats just the way I understood it. different co. may be different.

poolman12
01-23-2005, 05:57
Bought my 2002 D/A with 5 year-100.000 but was not given a choice and ended up with Daimen-Chrysler not GM. At 83,000 I had front wheel sealed hub assembly go out. They would not cover $ 430.00 but if I had bought GM all dealers around here would have covered no charge. I bought new 2005 D/A at a different dealership & negotiated 3 year - 100,000 GM coverage $ 1,200. Did not need 5 year since put 83,000 on in two years and extra years would have wasted money in my cas. Would not have blamed 1st dealer if he had asked about saving money by taking other warranty company. Ended up in much better place with Downey Chevrolet.
Have a good day
p.s. I ramble too much verbally too.

roegs
01-24-2005, 09:12
Originally posted by madmatt:
I'm not sure but I don't think the dealer pays anything for them, they just act as a broker and get a kickback for selling it. thats just the way I understood it. different co. may be different. Whatever relationship the dealer has with the warrenty provider, there still must be a bottom line dollar cost basis. Knowing that number would be extremly helpful in keeping things fair. I don't mind the dealer making a little money, as that's what they are in business to do. I just don't want to be raked over the coals with a 100% profit margin.

[ 01-24-2005, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: roegs ]

NutNbutGMC
01-24-2005, 16:31
No matter the cost (within reason of this thread) and having a Duramax, I'd not go without the extended warranty. Read the board about the injectors.... smile.gif smile.gif

Been there, done it all... Glad I had the GMC direct extended warranty (US$2100).

ksss
01-25-2005, 13:34
I bought extended coverage for my 01 K3500. It was 1800 dollars zero deductible coverage to 100K. The coverage was purchased through the dealer but was a third party insurance company. I had only used it once for a tie rod end and had no problem. The CD player went south a couple of weeks ago 67,000 miles. The warranty company asked the service guy if it was a commercial vehicle. SG responds I don't know. Warranty co. asked is there a name or logo on the side of it. response: Why yes, yes there is. They sent an appraiser to "inspect" the 1-ton to see if it was a commercial vehicle. The vehicle had to sit at the dealer until the appraiser arrived (48 hours). I got my CD player fixed after writing a letter to the company. If it was determined that it was a commercial vehicle I would have lost my warranty. Word of warning.

k1rod
01-27-2005, 12:54
I got taken in this deal. The dealer sold me a 6 year 60,000 mile GM warranty on my new 2005 Silverado 2500HD, for $2000.00. I should have known to shop around. Anyway, It was still within the 30 days so I just went down today and cancelled it. An interesting point I learned is that GM will not allow me to repurchase this warranty somewhere else now. If you cancel the warranty, you're done with them for that vehicle. I guess if I think I need an extended warranty now, my only option is aftermarket.

roegs
01-28-2005, 05:58
Here is a link to some pretty good GMPP prices.

http://www.gmoutlet.com/quote/emailserver/majorguard/05mg4.htm

D-MAX
01-29-2005, 02:07
Crew84
Can you give me the Dealers Name or Phone #
I sure hope so, GM extended Warranty for $1600.00 Is just what I'm looking 4 !! ;)

crew84
01-29-2005, 06:29
I bought the warranty at Dublin GMC, CA in October. I was given the name of the finance manager from my Brother-in-law. Seems he was one of the guys in a group we had gone fishing with twice to Cabo. He remembered me and gave me the deal. This was after shopping for a while. I do not know if you can get the same deal that is why I said to shop.

dcalex
01-29-2005, 13:23
Been doin' some research from the info on this post.
Gm has 3 levels of Xt warranty:
Major Guard...the best...Covers it all except the usual and customary exclusions...fenders, expendables, etc....has roadside assistance,towing, and limited rental.

Value Guard...covers 9 major assemblies and specific components but not the electronics, PCM's, etc.

Basic Guard ....covers engine, trans, front & rear wheel drive assemblys

No info on costs since that is a dealer negotiated thing. From what I've seen, you can do some dealing with different dealers anywhere over the internet if they've set themselves up to do that.
Interesting (and valuable) to us, I think is that all three of them cover injectors. So some of the guys who don't hold much credence with Xt warranties, yet are concerned with the injector threat might be interested in the "Basic Guard"

64postcarnut
01-31-2005, 15:25
I'm assuming the ext warranty is also voided for modifications,i.e.Box,tires and oiled air filters?

How about GM's 200K mile ext warranty on injectors.Is it also voided for mods?