PDA

View Full Version : K&N vs. Amsoil Filter Wars

SWLA
08-07-2002, 20:07
This is not intended to be a grenade, I'm not trying to stir anything up. I know this has been debated at length in the past. I was on another forum that I am not a member of reading a post about who made a better air filter, K&N or Amsoil. Same pros and cons as always, but I thought of something. The amsoil fans claim that K&N filters let dirt through, the proof being an increase in the silicon levels found with oil analysis. The K&N response is that that increase in silicon is from the oil used to treat the gauze. They say that it is made from "mineral" sources. It gets aspirated into the engine and shows up in the oil analysis as increased silicon. The Amsoil fans say that if dino oil shouldn't have that much silicon in it, that the silicon comes from dirt. So where does the silicon come from, dirt or the oil?

That takes me to my next question. Why doesn't someone send a sample of the K&N oil for analysis and see if it contains silicon. Could this be done? If there's not any silicon in the oil, then the K&N explanation doesn't seem to hold water. If there is silicon, I guess the debate goes on.

I'm not trying to poke a bear with a short stick here. Just wondering. I should say I do have an Amsoil filter, but I've been too busy to clean it so I've been running an OEM filter.

MNBowTie
08-07-2002, 21:16
Ok I'll Bite

Here is the Silicon level from my 2000 Yukon with the K&N. I installed the K&N when my Yukon was new. This sample was taken at 28,550 miles and 2700 miles on this change and about 3 months time.

Silicon = 10
Copper was abnormal = 52 (Hopefully wrist pin breaking still)

I also have an sample taken from the OEM filter on my Dmax. Taken at 3000 miles and 1700 on change.

Silicon = 12

I'm expecting my next analysis any day,this with my new Amsoil filter, installed just before my 4000 mile trip.

Stay tuned.

mackin
08-08-2002, 04:20
MNBowTie ,

All right a I have no agenda test.... Hip Hip HOORAY........I just hope there isn't a hit put on ya before we get the results ......This is war ya know......If you need some one with a "HEATER" to run SHOTGUN let me know...... :D I got your back.......

MAC........

The "IMPOSTER"

hoot
08-08-2002, 07:58
I believe the K&N tends to loose effectiveness after multiple cleanings. Maybe when new it works great. They say the fibers come out. I wonder if the fibers add silicon to the oil? Some have said older K&N filters show signs of wear when you hold them up to the light, like a 10 year old t-shirt that was washed 1000 times.

Kennedy
08-08-2002, 08:55
SWLA,

Your position is understood and I can appreciate your reasoning and interest on the subject. Here's some more thoughts:

If it makes any of you you sleep better at night, I will see if I still have my sample bottle that is 1/4 or so full of K&N oil, and send to George for testing. I had intended to do this a long time ago, but I grow weary of this debate.

Analysis of oil generally looks at sub 10 (or is it 5?) micron particles. For this reason, a blown engine could look perfectly fine on paper. A ferrography is essentially looking at the oil under a microscope. This sees most everything larger than 5 microns. As George has stated over and over, he can SEE the dirt that passes by the filter.

I should also note: a 10k service of my 6.5 filter washed into a catch pan yields silt measureable in TABLESPOON(S) My 18 k service on the Dmax yielded trace amounts in the pan. This would indicate that the breathing through the fender design as used by the 6.5s, Dodge Cummins, and Ford PSD is NOT the greatest idea. These boxes show grit inside as well when servicing.

Now, my testimonial can be dismissed as an "Amsoil salesman" but George has nothing to gain. He just wants to provide quality lubricants, lab services, and advice to make your engine last...

george morrison
08-08-2002, 15:05
As John indicated, I have been the naysayer with respect to aftermarket air filters, primarily due to reviewing so many K&N oil analysis results over the years indicating poor filtration performance in applications. Correspondingly, I have advised folks to run oil analysis before and after to confirm the filter's effectiveness in their particular vehicle, environment, etc.
That said, we just installed an Amsoil dual stage filter (from Mr. Kennedy) on our 6.5TD in which we have 80,000 miles of detailed oil analysis results, including ferrographies. The engine on this truck has been plagued by high dirt and wear metals since new using only AC OEM air filters changed at 3,000 mile intervals. We have gone over the induction system with a fine tooth comb to find the leak, to no avail.
I am very much hoping that the Amsoil dual stage may help this truck, as certainly Mr. Kennedy's ferrography was one of the cleanest I have seen in terms of dirt and he is using the Amsoil 2 stage.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Lone Eagle
08-08-2002, 21:38
I just installed my Amsoil air filter a few days ago. It might be my imagination but it seems a little quicker on the bottom end. Later! Lone Eagle :D

SoCalDMAX
08-08-2002, 23:06
Well, now that somebody tossed a grenade into the room... hahaha

I have used K&N filters on my motorcycles and cars for a long time, and honestly never paid any attention to how well they filtered the dirt. Once I started reading here and bought a Dmax, suddenly filtration efficiency became important, mostly because I'm hoping this is the last truck I ever buy and I don't want to shorten it's life. (Blowing the tranny out would be a different issue... ;) )

I have no reason to doubt JK or George, they're the only experts that I know of in this arena. Lately I've been seeing a lot of testing done by a number of different enthusiasts, all pointing to poor filtration by K&Ns.

Audi enthusiasts, a well respected BMW tuner (Jim Conforti), a Honda enthusiast site, the Cummins guys (TDR), and the TDI forum are some of the places where I've heard of truly independent testing (where the mfr wasn't paying for the test) and people finding out that the cotton gauze style of media is not effective.

Just looking at the foam construction and thickness of the Amsoil filter convinced me of it's effectiveness. Seeing the tight fit and tackiness of the oil used, reinforced it. It's a free world, everyone buys what they like.

I for one, appreciate the efforts of those mentioned above who were willing to spend the time and effort to find out what really works.

Thanks, Steve