PDA

View Full Version : Its in, and IT RUNS! (sorta)

Cowracer
07-11-2005, 03:47
After a marathon a$$-busting session this weekend, I single handedly got my Avant 18:1 motor installed. Outside, in 100 degree heat, even (I lost 7 lbs over the weekend, mostly water)

It was set in place by 7:00pm saturday, and hooked up and running by 4:30 on sunday.

I have a couple of problems left to iron out. #2 cyl is dead as a hammer. I don't even get sprurts out of the injector line when I crack it. But, I noticed a fuel leak of some sort up underneath the intake. I think that maybe the line nut at the IP for #2 is loose.

I got an exhaust leak at the crossover, I might have screwed up the donut gaskets, or assemebled it cock-eyed.

The good news is my "Split-Flow" rear head cooling systems is in and doesn't leak. I took some pictures with my good camera, and I will post them tomorrow. It was an easy install with the motor out on an engine stand, but it would be a cast-iron bitch to do it with the engine in the truck.

One more night of wrenching, and I think I am done!

The question is, did I beat RonnieJoe?

Tim

More Power
07-11-2005, 11:07
Good job! smile.gif The first R&R took me 31 hours, and about 20 the last time. GM flat rate book says removal & replacement should take not more than 10.5 hours.

Jim

Cowracer
07-11-2005, 11:17
Originally posted by More Power:
GM flat rate book says removal & replacement should take not more than 10.5 hours.

Jim Yeah! If your a master mechanic built like E.T. with the patience of a saint!

Tim

More Power
07-11-2005, 12:45
My times won't likely improve because I try to make things look nice (clean & detail the engine compartment & engine), and last a long time during re-assembly (dress the wiring & fix stuff that looks worn). Attention to detail isn't something that works well with a flat-rate schedule. :D

Jim

Hansh
07-11-2005, 13:07
I agree with MP. I did the same, also the fabrication of upgraded parts takes some time. Maybe if one JUST R & Rs an engine, and does nothing else, it could be done in 10 hours. Plus the dealer has all the parts needed right there......maybe, they had to order some hoses and other parts for me.

I probably spent about 16 hours with just the R & R part of my project, 8 hours fabricating, 8 - 10 hours thinking and doing research, and about 16 hours chasing parts! But those are just estimates, who's counting?

arveetek
07-12-2005, 12:45
It took me about 6 hours to pull my engine, and then 3 months to rebuild it and reinstall it! :eek: I didn't plan on having it down that long, nor did I plan to rebuild it...I was just doing some "upgrades" when I discoverd tapered cylinders and broken rings. Sure was running good before I pulled it out....but it runs even better now! :D

Good job, Tim!

Casey

redbird2
07-13-2005, 20:26
I just finished a repower I lost track of the hours to R&R enigne was only less than 10 hours, to completely rewire a 1998 K3500 gas to a factory or better looking 6.5TD had to be at least another 30-40 hours, I switched everthing even down to the dash panel that says diesel only. And then more time with upgrades SST oil cooler lines had made locally, mount new oil cooler running parts I glad I not having to pay someone to do this. I purchaed a donor truck cheap on E-Bay. I'm now starting to put the donor back togeather as a gas now to resell and get out of it what I at least paid for it.
You are getting fuel out of the injector line at the nozzle I have had problems with some injector lines failing interally, if you bend one it will crack the inner liner and some times flake off and plug the line. It would not be the first time that a new nozzle was bad. I know first hand we have 600 6.5 NA engines in are fleet here in Illionis It happens

Cowracer
07-14-2005, 04:13
Turns out the dead cyl was indeed due to a loose fitting on the IP end of the injector line, just as I thought.

Now it runs as crisp as a new $100 bill.

Tim