PDA

View Full Version : Upping the bar on OEM engines specifications?

MichaelR
02-23-2003, 07:00
Upping the bar on OEM engines specifications?

The introduction of the D/A combination gave GM the shot in the arm that was long overdue in the market. They held the #1 HP/TRQ diesel engine for two years. Now they trail the competition in the HP/TRQ race (Ford 320/560, Dodge 305/555, and GM 300/520).

Everyone stated that the Duramax was greatly underrated and that the power could be turned up easily. The cost of doing so is quite expensive with any of the boxes on the market.

What is GM going to do in the future, specifically for MY 2004, to retake the lead in the HP/TRQ race for EOM engine specifications?

Thank you,
Michael

Black Dog
02-23-2003, 07:37
All the aftermarket boxes do is change the fuel map (injector pulse width and timing). It is basically free for GM to do this whenever they want to. The Dmax is the largest displacement of all of the engines. Expect to see GM retake the "stock" lead in the near future.

Oh, and the peak hp and torque numbers don't tell the whole story of an engine's output. The Dmax is still a stronger puller than the stock HO Cummins.

[ 02-23-2003: Message edited by: Black Dog ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
02-24-2003, 02:09
Michael,

I don't think the boxes are all that expensive considering the power gains they produce. If you wanted to do the same for a gasser, you'd be adding a blower or going with a cam change plus ECM tweaking, etc. at a lot more expense and trouble.

I've heard GM is not going to increase power until possibley 2005, but this was on the web, so who knows. Best bet, buy the truck and add whichever chip you like at the time. The best part of the Dmax is it's built with parts that were no compromise - so you can make big power without any internal mods, which get expensive.

Regards, Steve