PDA

View Full Version : How to Set Juice for variables

TraceF
02-23-2003, 03:40
UPS tracking says mine will be here Monday.

I occasionally tow a 10,500# boat and a 6,500# trailer with my Jeep.

I have read where some of you are running level 4 in tow/haul and vice-versa.

My question is what levels should I set so I can smoke the fwd asphalt belly rubbers and still tow safely and not have to change settings?

Opinions?

Thanks.

Toddster
02-23-2003, 07:46
Get a freakin' PYRO ! Thats the ONLY way to tell ! :mad:

mackin
02-23-2003, 07:47
Trace

You only have two choices for now.....So what do you tow in ,T/H ,No T/H,or both?? You'll have to make that decision.....

I prefer my highest setting in T/H Hot Juice.....You can still take full advantage of grade braking ,just don't forget to disengage.....
:eek:

MAC :D :D :D

TraceF
02-23-2003, 08:31
Todd-

I got pyro. Are you saying the temp is everything? As long as I don't go over ? degrees I can tow in T/H on setting 4?

Mac-

I tow the boat in T/H. The Jeep trailer doesn't seem to matter so for the purposes of this conversation let's assume I will ALWAYS tow in T/H.

Now how should I set? #2 in T/H and #4 when no T/H.

mackin
02-23-2003, 08:38
That should work for set it and forget it !!!! Just don't forget.....

MAC ;)

NWDmax
02-23-2003, 10:32
TraceF,when I had the regular Juice I ran level 2 in t/h and level 4 of course in regular.
I only do the t/h thing when I'm pulling the bass boat with the Lance camper on the back.
The highest exhaust temp I've seen is 1300 deg On a hot day pulling a long steep hill coming out of Banks Lake(if you know where that is)
My egt probe is mounted before turbo where I feel the reading is most accurate.
I haven't towed with the Hot Juice yet but so far it seems to run a bit cooler,don't know why? smile.gif
Blake :cool:

motovet
02-23-2003, 13:13
Trace, I pull a bit over 10,000# and I too ran the normal juice #2 in T/H and #4 regular.I left it set there untill I upgraded. Now with the Hot when not towing, wich is a lot of the time, I run #3 in regular and #4 in T/H for those occasions of insanity. When towing I switch the T/H to #2 and have no problems there. Don't forget to switch for towing....things get real hot QUICK and you can easily set codes.

[ 02-23-2003: Message edited by: motovet ]

[ 02-23-2003: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

NWDmax
02-23-2003, 13:53
Hey Motovet,where is South Bend anyway?
I know where North Bend is but have not heard of the South.
Blake :confused:

huntindog
02-23-2003, 16:10
TraceF.
I haven't towed yet with the juice, but heres my plan for this upcoming weekend/first tow.
I will program level 2 normal/level 0 towhaul. My thinking is if the EGTs get too high on the pull up Sunset Point, I can immeadiatly switch to stock (level 0)
I know this is probably overly cautious, but thats how I want it this time.
I normally run level 2 normal, level 4 towhaul.
Ultimatly that is the way I'd like to keep it, but if the EGTs won't allow it, then thats OK. The levels are simple enough to change as needed.

pinehill
02-23-2003, 16:32
Huntindog,

Good plan for the first pull! Level 0 still retains the advanced injection timing, and therefore runs even cooler than 100% stock (with about an additional 10 hp). Also, if you're running under about 62 mph when you hit tow/haul, you'll probably drop into 4th, which will raise rpm and provide additional cooling.

TraceF
02-23-2003, 17:46
So... from the sound of all your input the key is to keep the EGT's lower than... ?what?

pinehill
02-23-2003, 18:20
Opinions on max. safe sustained EGTs are just like anuses, but many knowledgable diesel people peg it at about 1200* F. Certainly, many will run much higher than that for short periods without apparent damage.

motovet
02-24-2003, 00:58
NW,I am 50 mi. east of Long Beach on the Willapa Bay.Or 50mi. west of Chehalis...Aberdeen to the NE...etc. I did grow up near North Bend however in the small town of Carnation.

[ 02-23-2003: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

Alli-max
02-24-2003, 08:36
do this...

No towing, level I with t/h off. Level IV with it on. when you pull, level I off, and level II on. I pull a boat as well, and combined weight of truck, boat, trailer is 14,900 (cat scale on Friday). Pulls hills EASILY in Level I going 70 and lugging it in 5th. I just have to turn off the cruise or it will sometimes want to upshift.

TraceF
02-24-2003, 09:26
Thanks for all the ideas. I scaled mine at it goes 16820. 6980 for the truck and 9840 for the boat but it had only gas and water. No dive gear, etc.

I am using steel 131 Cu Ft OMS tanks, the dive gear adds up real fast!

I'll probably do like all of you, experiment, but I wanted baseline info to start with.

smile.gif

NWDmax
02-24-2003, 09:37
Moto:thanks for the geography lesson.At least I've heard of Carnation!
Blake smile.gif