PDA

View Full Version : New product by tst

orange2
02-22-2003, 22:30
The have a powermax ready for the duramax, really high tq, you can set the max exhaust temp and it will hold it, pretty cool unit.tstproducts.com read the rest yourself. adustable on the go with the readout that shows boost and levels, cool. smile.gif

mackin
02-23-2003, 07:58
Looks like a VA box.......Man there is so much relabeling going on it is hard to tell if a "actual" new product is "NEW"......

The "Display" looks intriging,a do it all......

MAC :D :D :D

CPMac632
02-23-2003, 08:43
It is not a Van Aaken box it is their own product.

Diesel Freak
02-23-2003, 09:52
That looks pretty slick! Anybody know if it will raise the engine rpm govenor and raise the top speed limit?

MadDuraMax
02-23-2003, 11:03
Time for that age old question, WHO'S GOING TO BE FIRST? :D

Mark

sdaver
02-23-2003, 11:26
looks cool......and from the dyno sheets strong..
if you can limit the torque settings and keep power high and torque below 700 ftlbs you might not have a limp 5th problem..........very interesting........guages and all $849........sounds like a good deal :D dave
your turn mac!

[ 02-23-2003: Message edited by: sdaver ]</p>

CPMac632
02-23-2003, 11:33
It doesn't raise the speed or rpm limit. They say the allison won't take full hp even with the torque backed down a lot but they also said the six speed would only take a setting of 7 and 7.

king D
02-23-2003, 11:34
it sure looks just like my chip which is a va however the different setting and other features are different somebody check it out it may be the next best thing

orange2
02-23-2003, 16:16
They say the stock clutch will take 700ftlbs, they told me the truck they did the testing on was a 6 speed with a ceramic clutch. I don't think it is a va box redo. I am going to try the predator and if it doesn't impress me I am going to buy the tst. Got my snowmobile sold, maybe i will buy both. :D You have to drill and tap a thermol coupler, say the install takes about an hour.

GMCTRUCK
02-23-2003, 21:04
Everything about it looks awesome EXCEPT for it don't get rid of the speed limiter. :mad: That much power and for sure you're gonna be bouncing of the speed limiter in the 1/4 mile.

orange2
02-23-2003, 21:54
They told me they where working on the speed limiter but it involves cutting a wire for them and they don't quite know how to go about it. If it got rid of that it would be a no brainer for me, 850 including gauges, good deal. I don't quite understand how they get the extra tq, more timing or fuel or both? I still may try it if this predator doesn't impress me.

CPMac632
02-23-2003, 22:25
It changes pulse width and timing only, no fuel pressure change.

mackin
02-24-2003, 05:57
sdaver

Pretty much done with electronics unless something ground breaking, this is not, Quad has some powerful boxes that will roast one's tranny all ready as VA....Perhaps a VA stacking box may be in the works, who knows, but that would be it......After the "Preda disappear ator" nothing new for me I'm out of diesel on that one.....Time to move on to the DRUGS, being stored, waiting for tranny mods anouther big miss conception, I hope not, but it isn't looking real promising.....The hole valvebody thing is making me think core, could get expensive......

MAC

:eek: :D :rolleyes:

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

bluenote
02-24-2003, 15:42
I emailed them to ask a couple of questions about their method of power delivery and potential tranny issues. Here's the response....

"We modify fueling solenoid pulse width and injection timing to add power, reduce temperatures, and help economy. We do not modify fuel rail pressure. The trans is the weak link, we recommend about power/torque level 4 of 9 for stock automatics and 6 of 9 for stock manuals. We have aftermarket clutches and automatic trans parts that let one use more of the power. While we advertise up to 140 hp and 360 torque gains, we are limited by transmissions, not the engine."

The dyno charts look quite good, and if there aren't many issues that crop up with this chip, it looks like a winner. For slightly more cash than the regular juice, you get a chip that gives performance like the hot juice, with gauges thrown in. Maybe it's finally time to chip my truck.

GMCTRUCK
02-24-2003, 16:35
I talked to Greg at TST. With 9 power levels you can fine tune to your truck's (transmission)limit. Since most testing was done with a bone stock (no exhaust,or intake, nothing)6 speed truck I was assured it works very well with the stick. Also all power numbers listed were without any other mods to the truck. He told me they were amazed at how long the stock clutch lasted even at levels above what is being released to the public. His words were "about 1000 hard runs before the clutch started slipping" They are also working on a solution to the speed limiter and this would be a seperate and easy add on in the future. Also nice that you can set a limit for the EGTs. Could be very handy for towing. Oh yeah, mine's in the mail. :eek:

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>

king D
02-24-2003, 19:10
mackin drugs are are good thing propane and nos on my dmax,of course it doesnt do any good with the tranny the way it is,however since i bought an odb2 scanner i have yet to limp the tranny.just anote suncaost said today they should release the tranny with in the month or they would never release it.i hope so

mackin
02-26-2003, 18:36
GMCTRUCK

Any info yet ?? Just wondering ...... We'll be meeting up again looking forward to seeing it in action.....

GMCTRUCK
02-26-2003, 20:20
Mack, TST showed up this evening. I've got everything hooked up but the EGT probe. I didn't have a 1/8 npt tap for the manifold. Tomorrow I'll stop at my buddy's shop and grab one. Kind of funny, to get to the manifold I have to remove the same inner fender that I replaced last week. They recommend the probe in the passenger side exhaust manifold for using 1300* as a max egt. 1000* max egt if you decide to go post turbo. Per the instructions I did a test start and idle and it started, idled and responded to throttle blips perfectly Everything seems solid and instructions are complete, informative and include color pictures. Boost and temp readings and control settings are all on the in cab unit which is wired with a plug on the end to plug into the underhood module. The EGT also wires direct into the module. There are 0-9 settings for "torque enhancement" and 0-9 for power levels with 0 being stock. You can use any combination of the two variables : 4-9, 2-3, 7-5, 6-8, 9-9, etc. meaning alot of road testing. They give you recommended setting combinations depending on which transmission you have and whether or not your Allison or clutch is stock or modified, and if your empty/towing etc. The torque enhancement gives more torque at lower rpms and broadens the torque curve. Good for towing at lower levels. Should really test the drivetrain at higher levels. Also incuded is a replacement boost tube. I'll give an update tomorrow. Though I'm sure the second I'm done it will start to snow and snow for 3 days. ;)

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>

mackin
02-26-2003, 21:13
Sounds real interesting .....Many multiplies of settings would be very good for towing applications indeed....

Where are you going to mount display /controller combo??

Are you going to Danbury on the 15TH,game dinner,if you didn't know , any interest?? The trio that was at Maggie's and Tony AKA GMC 2002 ,our host, will be there $30 bucks (?) a head includes soft drinks,AKA beer .....

DMAX Daddy
02-26-2003, 21:33
Pictures GMCTRUCK! Sounds like a fun new toy. Plus you need to race Mackin to see how it does against the Juice. Im also very curious where you installed the display/controller set up. :D

Taxes are almost back, and Im used to begging for forgiveness ;)

GMCTRUCK
02-26-2003, 21:39
The display is a flat display about 2x3". Very small and light. I velcroed it next to the vent left of the steering wheel. Basically at the top of where the 4x4 buttons would be on a push button 4x4 truck. I talked to Greg on the phone at TST and was very impressed with the info he gave me and the extent of testing they put their Duramax truck through. They were very impressed with what it stands up to. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be as impressed with the results. Mack, I like game dinners but, Danbury is a far drive for me considering my will power and all you can drink beer. :cool:

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>

orange2
02-26-2003, 22:13
I really like my predator, but I may have to buy this also, sounds like a fun toy.

Seattle Steve
02-28-2003, 01:00
I also am intrigued by this product, mostly because of my ZF6 and the adjustability. If any product reps for TST, Edge, etc are reading, one feature I'd like to see with all these adjustable levels is a DETUNE level to help keep from breaking the tires loose when driving in snowy/icy conditions or when someone else has your truck you don't trust with even the stock power level and a posi rear end...

GMC-2002-Dmax
02-28-2003, 06:58
MAC, GMCTRUCK

Friday MARCH 14th, 7:00 p.m.

Bring the Truck and the TST. WE need a little Juice to TST road test.

Bill is going to be there and maybe that tonkater guy too.

I am intrigued by all of the companies trying to outdo each other. Myself I like to set and forget, but something that has that much adjustability seems convenient.

Let me know.

If you want MAC and I will drive you home, we'll take good care of your TST :eek: tongue.gif :D

GMC :D

DMAX-Hunter
02-28-2003, 09:48
There is one thing that I have not seen discussed about this product yet. Since the gauges are built in to the unit, it may be hard to conceal, should you have any problems and have to take to the stealer. Any thoughts or opinions on how you would do so?

a64pilot
02-28-2003, 10:56
They way I understand it is that you can run the wire in through the door jamb and velcro the display anywhere you want too. With the exception of the thermocouple in the exh. manifold it should be easy to remove leaving no trace of it ever having been there.
P.S. I don't have mine yet so I can't be sure.

Dave S
02-28-2003, 11:09
Do yo have to install a boost sensor or does that info come from the ECM?

GMCTRUCK
02-28-2003, 16:11
My gauge/controller unit is mounted in a temporary fashion. Unit is velcroed to the dash and the wire harness runs through the door jamb. I can easily unplug it and remove if needed. Boost is read through the computer.

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>