PDA

View Full Version : SES light on after installing K&N induction

TBC
02-22-2003, 20:27
I installed a K&N Charger kit induction system. It replaces a standard K&N filter. During the performance run the SES light came on. I rechecked the MAS sensor because you use the orignal sensor but it moves a few inches closer to the intake. The instructions changes the thin o'ring on the stock install to a 1/8 inch thick rubber washer type seal that has glue on it. It seats against the MAS body to seal off on the K&N duct. I noticed that there are 4 small holes that are covered up by the new seal.

Does anyone know if covering the 4 holes would cause the SES light to come on? Any other suggestions on what is going on? I would have to find a larger o'ring to seal the sensor if the rubber washer is causing a problem.

The truck runs great. The filter change was a big kick in the pants.

I also changed the fuel filter but the light was already on before I changed it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tom Cobb

mark45678
02-22-2003, 22:04
its possible that you can get oil from the filter on the mass air flow sensor and cause problems! I cant comment on the little holes dont have any info on that!

REC06
02-22-2003, 23:50
I installed the K&N FIPK on my truck. It was a used unit I got from a member. I did not have the gasket at all and made one out of high temp silicon. I am certin the holes are covered and never had a code until lately due to the recent hp gains not the K&N. I often due the white glove test to the intake tube and have also cleaned the MAF (prevent maint) just to be sure

DMAXTODD
02-23-2003, 01:08
When I was running the FIPK filter kit the screws that held the Maf on came loose then the light came on, If you had the truck running at all with the MAF off that might do it and then the light will not go out till re-set.
Todd.

Kennedy
02-23-2003, 12:03
Most any of these air intake mods are prone to setting MAF codes...

I really gotta wonder what K&N was thinking when making a cold/ram air setup with the HUGE gaps between the feed tube and the steel housing. As much gap as there is, they might just as well have propped the filter on a rod :rolleyes: ...

TBC
02-23-2003, 13:47
How do you reset the codes?

Kennedy - Are you talking about the gap where the new tube and the intake tube meet? I worked mine until I closed the gap to where the tubes are touching. I know there can be air turbulence at the joints so I wanted to eliminate that problem. The truck really runs great. It was a pleasant surprise how much difference it really did make. When the turbo comes in it really goes. Can't wait til I get the juice installed.

Tom Cobb

TBC
02-23-2003, 21:06
The light went of by itself. So far so good. I had an SES light one other time for a different problem and it went off. The service folks said that they will reset if the problem goes away but it sometimes takes 5 or 6 on and off cycles for that to happen. Hope it stays off.

Edge juice is on the way. Should have it Monday.

Tom

a64pilot
02-24-2003, 09:09
TBC,
I'm having similar problems with the SES light. I thought it was just me. I've had the K&N aircharger or what ever for about 3 or four thousand miles or so and trip the SES light every 500 or thousand miles.
Sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting the MAF will make the light go out and other times I've had to remove the MAF and clean it with electrical cleaner.
The only mod I've done to the K&N is to better seal it's air box to the hood and around the induction tube with black foam pipe insulation.
I have forgotten the code #, but I am pretty sure that I can autotap it and pull it from the PCM's memory.
I am pretty sure that the MAF is not getting oil contamination as the filter has several thousand miles on it and surely any excess oil has already been pulled through.
Any suggestions anyone has would be helpful as I'm pretty much baffled at this point. I was going to buy a new MAF until I ran into i believe two posts of similar problems.

Kennedy
02-24-2003, 10:57
The relocation of the sensor's mounting is causing a change in the readings which is placing the readings outside the prescribed parameters of the ECM.

I've been fielding a lot of requests for an intake system like these (AFE), but the MAF issues can be a PITA. I may cave and take them on by popular demand, but will NOT troubleshoot MAF codes as they are just going to have to be a fact of life...

mackin
02-24-2003, 11:36
The AFE setup is very close to stock position with in a half inch or less and no additional gaskets......So close to box it's a pain in the azz....How far in is the KN setup?? The stock guesstamit from center of mass air to start of filter box is 2 and quarter inches.....

MAC

Toddster
02-24-2003, 12:05
Yep, John is right...Right now I am living with the AFE Stage II SES light fact of life deal...Funny though, fill the tank with fuel and it goes out for a quite a while, and no, I do not do drugs... :D

Silver Bullet
02-24-2003, 15:48
Hey Mack -

I have 2 pics that kinda give you an idea where the MAF (aka...POS) is located on the K&N. I have not had any issues with mine.

http://www.monkey.net/steve/truck_mods24.htm
http://www.monkey.net/steve/truck_mods1.htm

DMAXED
02-24-2003, 18:36
I have the AFE stage 2 it's been on since october no ses for maf, just for turbo system over boost when towing up hills.

mackin
02-24-2003, 19:53
Silver Bullet

Is that the Mass air WAY up on the bend??

The AFE => http://www.pbase.com/image/12422566 if you haven't seen it,is very close to stock distance......So says stanley.....Haven't had any issues yet,but it's beem parked for over a week too ..... :eek: Gas is cheaper right now......But when I had it out and romping on it no problem'o...I really like the turbo noise that is generated with this setup,LOUD......But I have my concerns......

Todd'myster just has one of them freaky trucks !!!!!!! ;)

MAC :D :D :D

Kennedy
02-24-2003, 20:35
I've got a ported OE air box lid that is GUARRANTEED to make your Dmax run like someone put a turd on the go pedal! :eek: Did all the work myself :D

Messing with the air flow around the MAF sensor is tricky business...

TBC
02-24-2003, 21:55
After mine went off it has not come back on. I drove 350 miles since then. I will post again if it comes back on. I really like the way the truck runs with this system. It is hard to imagine how the induction system can be that much different than the standard K&N filter.

Something I noticed that doesn't quite make sense is that the engine dropped 150 RPM at 70 MPH. I can also tell there is a mileage increase. My tank switch point was a lot farther into the trip this time than on the other trips. Haven't filled up yet to check mileage but I would believe I will see an increase.

Mackin - The MAF is about 6 inches from the intake manifold tube. Stock is probably 6-8 closer to the filter.

I will be installing a juice this week so it will be more difficult to tell what may turn the SES on. Any ideas on this?

With the snow and rain coming I may not get any performance check for a few days.

Tom

TBC
02-25-2003, 21:15
I got the juice and installed it. Tried to start it and it would not. Disconnected it and checked all the pins and reconnected it. Tried it again and still no start. Looks like the juice goes back to the dealer or to the factory. Not sure yet what they want to do. Hope this is not a sign of things to come with this.

Tom Cobb

Silver Bullet
02-25-2003, 22:23
Sorry for the slow reply MACK...I have been enjoying my "snow day" here in Dallas today...http://www.monkey.net/steve/dnld/snow_day.html
or
http://www.monkey.net/steve/dnld

And yep, that is it up by the bend.

WillowCreekStable
02-26-2003, 12:01
Watched "Snow Day"! Move up north and you can do that 9 months a year! tongue.gif

a64pilot
03-04-2003, 08:12
Update if anyone is interested. After speaking to Fred, (supervisor at K&N's product support) He wanted me to put one wrap of duct tape around filter to see if change in air flow or a little restriction would keep the light from coming on. It seems to work as I have about 1000 miles on truck now with no MIL.
He is sending me an outerwrap for the filter which he says will do about the same thing for free. He even offered to refund me for the system if I was not happy. So far I'm happy with K&N's product support. The trigger is you have to get to Fred or another supervisor.

a64pilot
03-04-2003, 08:14
Sorry, the code was p1017, MAF system performance.

mackin
03-04-2003, 16:44
Toddster

A Toddster, the low fuel warning light is not a SES !!!!!!! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

MAC :D :D :D

Toddster
03-04-2003, 17:10
You gotta be a smart a$$ dont ya ! :D

Modified
03-04-2003, 20:17
Do the Cold Air Systems, such as K&N or AFE use an air pipe with a inside diameter the same as the stock plastic pipe?
The way I understand this MAF Sensor, the sensor is probably measuring "Air Velocity". The computer is probably programmed with the stock air pipe I.D., which calculates to an area.The computer calculates this programmed area, air temperature, barametric pressure, and the air velocity to determine "Mass Air Flow".
IF these aftermarket systems use a smaller pipe, for the same air flow as the stock air system, the smaller pipe system would have air flowing at a higher velocity, and this would make the computers calculated "Mass Air Flow" inaccurate.
I wouldn't think moving the sensor further in the pipe would have any effect on flow measurement.
These are some thoughts I had.

mackin
03-04-2003, 20:57
The AFE is but a little smaller with less sharper bends, but still bigger then the turbo inlet.....

Sounds like a logical reason to me on why a SES may occur if Air Flow gets above measurable limit.....

MAC ;)

TBC
03-04-2003, 22:14
I have driven over 1000 miles since I had the SES light on after installing the K&N filter charger system. So far no SES light.

Tom

Kennedy
03-04-2003, 22:27
FWIW, the MAF codes can, and often do, set w/o lighting the SES light...

a64pilot
03-05-2003, 07:59
Modified,
The K&N pipe is varible in I.D.. My thought was the reason that the MAF has been relocated was to position it to a point where the I.D. was the same as stock. The only thing that it can measure would be air temp and velocity, I have not measured it though. To be honest I cannot figure out what an engine without a throttle plate needs a MAF for anyway, Maybe for when we get EGR or some other form of unmetered induction? :confused: