PDA

View Full Version : K&N Oil Filters

TBC
02-21-2003, 22:51
I just bought K&N oil filters from Diesel Injection Service (DIS) for $9.37. I have not used them before nor have I read any comments on them. Is anyone out there using them?

They also have the Interceptor fuel filters by Parker Hannifin for $21.00 including shipping.

While I was at it I bought the K&N filter charger air box kit. I replaced the standard K&N filter with the whole induction kit.

The 90 HP refuburished Edge juice has shipped and will be on next week. Ebay is good place to shop for the refurb boxes. Got a for $545.00 plus shipping.

Tom

sdaver
02-21-2003, 23:02
lots of strong opinions on the k and n just do a search..........I use a guaze type filter on my afe....with a k&n prefilter :D dave

hey tom I just realized your talking about oil filters......along with air filters......How do you like you tooolbox tank and how much are they?
Is it plumbed into your fuel line or does it just transfer into the main tank :D dave

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: sdaver ]</p>

FirstDiesel
02-22-2003, 08:22
Lots of good buys on EBay?? Who's going to handle any support issues you might have on something like the Juice?? Buy an airfilter there fine, buy a product that might need support? :eek:

TraceF
02-22-2003, 08:34
I called Edge Products and they said they would be glad to handle warranty or support issues. They even went as far as to give an opinion of a retail distributor. Seemed like a good company to do business with.

mackin
02-22-2003, 08:39
TBC

Do not use the KN oil filters as reported here......They will not stand up to the OIL pressure these Duramax motors put out.....

I would send them back for a refund or credit....

MAC

There are tons of posts like this....These explain it all.....

=&gt;http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002673&p=
=&gt;http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004424

OC_DMAX
02-22-2003, 10:22
All K&N oil filters are made by Champion Labs in the car world ( my assumption is that K&N has also contracted with Champion to make the one for the Duramax) . In the car world, the filters that K&N markets have a solid reputation for a good balance of flow, filtration, solid mechanical construction, and a reasonably thick shell. I would have no concern using K&N oil filters. Note that Champion Labs also makes the OEM "black" filter that came with the Duramax when you drove it off the dealer lot. Champion Labs makes a lot of oil filters for companies that relabel their product. (Mobil 1, STP, K&N and others).

There is a lot of debate about K&N AIR filters. Each individual will have to make their own mind up on that topic.

mdrag
02-22-2003, 19:42
I don't recall anyone posting any info on the K&N OIL filters for the DMAX - good or bad. The DMAX K&N oil filters were listed as AVAILABLE SOON on the DIS website for a very long time.

I have a K&N erl filter from a gasser waiting to be cut open. The case is heavy, and the 1" wrench nipple on the end is very handy for on/off.

mackin
02-22-2003, 20:05
OOPS guess I was thinking Fram.....It happens.....I stand corrected KN maybe and prolly is just fine......

Mdrag cut one up just to make sure ,will ya ?? ;)

MAC :eek:

TBC
02-22-2003, 20:17
Thanks for the input. The pictures on the box showing the construction looks like a good filter.

I got a chance to check the performance of the K&N filter and induction system. I was very surprised at the performance increase over the standard K&N. I don't know what the power increase was but it will flat nail you back. This is just a stock DMAX with the K&N setup. One problem encounter and don't know what to make of it. The SES light came on.

Am posting another string to look for info.

BTW the Edge actually was purchased thru Performance Motorsports Technology out of Fl. I checked to see who was selling it before I bid. They sell a lot of stuff on Ebay and have a lot of good reports from previous buyers. It has a factory warranty or I would not have bought it.

Tom

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: TBC ]</p>

a bear
02-22-2003, 20:49
TBC, Check your connection on the mass air sensor, SES light must mean it does not see the sensor.

TBC
02-22-2003, 20:57
I checked it and cleaned it, took it off and rechecked everything. Still no go.

Thanks.

Tom

king D
02-23-2003, 06:53
TBC for what it is worth both of our farm truck dmaxes have kn filter charger kits,both maxes have chips,we saw about 1.6psi more boost and over.1 0-60 times.i am looking for prefilters to put on them any body have ideas as to were to find them.jess

Brent - DIS
02-24-2003, 10:19
"I just bought K&N oil filters from Diesel Injection Service (DIS) for $9.37. I have not used them before nor have I read any comments on them. Is anyone out there using them?
They also have the Interceptor fuel filters by Parker Hannifin for $21.00 including shipping."

---

Well there are alot companies named DIS out there but since we do have the *coming soon* on our website as mentioned above and we do not have a price of $9.37 I would question that you got them from us? It is possible of course.

If the filter you got was an HP-3002 that fits a 2001 6.5L.

---

"All K&N oil filters are made by Champion Labs in the car world ( my assumption is that K&N has also contracted with Champion to make the one for the Duramax) . In the car world, the filters that K&N markets have a solid reputation for a good balance of flow, filtration, solid mechanical construction, and a reasonably thick shell. I would have no concern using K&N oil filters. Note that Champion Labs also makes the OEM "black" filter that came with the Duramax when you drove it off the dealer lot. Champion Labs makes a lot of oil filters for companies that relabel their product. (Mobil 1, STP, K&N and others)."

That is all correct and K&N does offer a very high quality oil filter and we use them on all of our diesels. Champion Labs makes the filters to the specs required from the different vendors.

And for anyone that wants to find out when K&N does release them they have a handy application search on their website. We will also post it on our website.

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/appsearch.aspx

This is updated every Friday so everything is current.

TBC
02-24-2003, 22:00
I hate it when people question my integrity I have receipts from the Amarillo Diesel Injection Service on 22nd St. I bought two fuel filters, 2 K&N Oil filters and K&N induction kit. Bought the last two last Thursday. On the website the K&N Oil filters are $7.96. If it does not fit the Duramax then the parts person sold it to fit the Duramax. In that case I will go back so that it can be resolved. Check invoice # **36065 and **36066.

I expect a public apology and I probably have done my last business with jerks like you. To bad one person can be a bad apple in a company.

Tom Cobb

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: TBC ]

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: TBC ]</p>

Brent - DIS
02-25-2003, 14:09
You never mentioned that you purchased in the store and with the comment of "including shipping" beside the Racor fuel filter, I assumed you bought online. Stores have walk in retail prices so thinking that you had bought online it did not occur to me to look at retail. The store did make the mistake. They told me you came in and brought the product back with a copy of this post. The employee who handled the transaction apologized and took the product back.

I had no intention of questioning your integrity on my last post. I was simply letting everyone know, including yourself, that the filter is not out and you or anyone else should not try to put that filter on your truck. I was simply trying to help.

TBC
02-25-2003, 21:25
I appreciate you pointing out that the filter was not for the Duramax because I sure would not want to use the wrong one. I did not appreciate you telling me I didn't buy the filters at DIS when I did. Mistakes occur and I realize that. I appreciate the prompt way the store took care of it and his apology.

What surprised me was to discover you are the owner of DIS. My advice to you is to be careful how you say what you say. I will accept your post as an apology of sorts although the one who really apologized was the store service manager.

Tom Cobb