PDA

View Full Version : What's still available?

6.5dooley
10-06-2005, 18:10
I used to visit this forum a couple years ago, but haven't followed the trends lately. I have a '99 GMC 4x4 Crew dually with the 6.5 TD and 4L80-E trans. Only mods are a Banks intake and exhaust kit, and just turned 101K miles. No major problems except the historic ones--overheating under long, heavy pulls, and not as much power as I'd like. I have my own ideas about the overheating, but it's never been enough of an issue to have to do something. I'm still on the original pump driver and injector pump, original injectors, original turbo, second set of glow plugs, 3rd alternator and 2nd water pump. My questions are these: What might I expect in the next 9500 miles (time until warranty on injector pump is out) and when it eventually goes south, should I replace with same, or is there a better option available? Is there a "chip" still available for the 6.5, does it still require changing out the entire computer? I like this truck, will have to keep it anyway, although I'd love a D-Max. It runs great, I get about 12-13 mpg and it will make about 13 lbs boost.

C. Babb
10-08-2005, 06:08
hey man, i would have to say Kennedydiesel.com or Heathdiesel.com would be the best two way's to go .. Heathdiesel.com has great people working out there and have been really helpful to me.

mine has around 124Kish (speedo off from 35's), and i just fried my FSD, stalling and hesitation were the 2 main things that let me know that this was it. other than this, i havnt had a problem with my truck yet other than routine maintance(ie: antifreeze slowly leaks, oil pan gasket bad)

i would have to recomind buying one of the books for the 6.5L available on this page as it will help you figure out what is wrong, when it goes wrong.

MTTwister
10-09-2005, 08:22
dooley - you will need to be looking at swapping out the whole ECM, no chip upgrades available after ?? '95 I think. Heath and Kennedy can both give you advice , and upgrades.