PDA

View Full Version : Low Fuel indication on '03?

AlanL
02-20-2003, 14:44
On two separate occasions I've gotten to the point where I had less than 40 miles to go on the "range" idication of my truck...

The fuel indicator was on 'E' and I didn't get a low fuel message or light that I'm aware of.

How is this condition reported to the driver? Through the message center or via a separate "low fuel" light or indicator?

I looked in the shop manual set and it said something about the low fuel indicator being tripped with either 1.8 or 2.8 gallons left. On a tow, that doesn't allow for too many miles before a stop is necessary! Maybe I wasn't low enough to trip the message, but I'm wondering.

Thanks in advance for any info,
-Al

DMAX Daddy
02-20-2003, 15:27
Mine goes off very close to Empty. There is a chime, a light next to the fuel gauge, and I think the LED Readout had a "You Idiot Stop and Buy Fuel" message. As often as I do it, I should have the message memorized.

I cant remember how much fuel I put in, but Id say it was 22 gallons or so.

And no, I usually dont make it a habit to run the truck that low on fuel. tongue.gif

king D
02-20-2003, 20:56
my lite doesnt come on until i get to under 30 miles on the rang screen then it comes on and a low fuel message appears.jess

XLR8 2 DMAX
02-20-2003, 22:50
I just had this happen to me today. Light near gage comes on, and you get message "Low Fuel" on
LCD display. I had about 50 miles left on range. When I filled up it took 28.5 gallons of fuel. I believe tank size is 34 gallons, so I should have had about 5 gallons left

Seattle Steve
02-21-2003, 00:07
The warning light on my truck is a small yellowish-orange one just under the "E" on the gauge. It comes on when the needle is square over the "E". It took 30 gallons at that point and I have a 34 gal tank. One other time, I had to push it further and the needle did not go down any further as it went to 32 gallons used so the needle is useless during the last 4 to 5 gallons. I haven't run it any further to test the range readout and don't plan to either. DIC says "LOW FUEL" and it chimes as mentioned above.

BKColeman
02-21-2003, 07:08
You're right. Once the Low Fuel message comes on, the needle doesn't seem to move anymore. The range just says Low Fuel too. It would be more useful if it would flash back and forth to the miles remaining and the message. Well, maybe not more useful, but more interesting. By that time, I'm looking hard for a diesel pump.

AlanL
02-21-2003, 07:43
I guess I just haven't had the fuel low enough yet.

Since I'm new to diesel, I've been a little affraid of running out and having to prime, etc..

With regard to the 34 gallon tank versus the 26 (which is what I have) the shop manual set inidicated that the low fuel light goes off at different times for the different tanks. Those with the 34 gallon tank have a gallon or so more fuel left when the light goes off.

Thanks,
-Al

Burner
02-21-2003, 09:57
Holly Smokes Duramax! Don't let the light come on!!!!! :eek: :eek:

My light cam on @ 40 miles to empty. I thought that I would stretch it out another 15 miles, unloaded, to the "good fuel" station. Well phooy! I ran out of fuel 5 miles from the pump!!! On Star said it would take 3+ hours to get fuel to me! Since I had worked late, around midnight, I had to call the wife for help.

--- Be wise and keep an eye on that fuel guage. ;) ;)

Burner

Bill Knieper
02-21-2003, 12:34
I have a 26 gallon tank and the light came on, and the chime rang, with a remaining range indicator of 38 miles. When I filled up it took 24 gallons, so at 19 miles to the gallon I probably did have about 38 miles until empty. Thats not many miles left when one is looking for diesel fuel.

Seattle Steve
02-22-2003, 12:00
Alan L: One other thing, my low fuel light comes on when I first turn on the ignition and for about a second after it starts. If you don't see yours under these conditions, the light may be burned out...

AlanL
02-24-2003, 09:06
Thanks for the tip...I'll look for the light next time I start it (I usually do so with a remote starter, but will do it manually this time).

With the new "Message Center", I guess I assumed that the low fuel message would be there, instead. On my '01 Suburban gasser, there was a different message center and the indication was tehre.

Thanks,
-Al

NoMo
02-24-2003, 10:51
The one time I ran low, I seem to remember both the light (next to the guage) coming on AND a message in the DIC... plus the annoying chime. The chime and DIC message are both temporary indicators.